Larry Tuxbury
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SHAZAM!
mbmbmbmbmb
...when considering the game-ending criteria?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
ltux wrote:

yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
ltux wrote:

But if you have Intrigue and Dominion the rules say you are supposed to play with all of the treasure because they represent an almost limitless supply.

In my gaming group when a treasure is trashed we just throw it back on the supply because I only sleeved about half of the treasures to save space and sleeves. :-D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
gf1024 wrote:
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
ltux wrote:

yes

cagriggs wrote:
Yes they are.

Listen to these guys, they tell the truth.

Are you implying I don't?

'Intrigue Rules' wrote:

The Treasure cards
from Dominion and Dominion: Intrigue can be combined, since these cards are
intended to be in abundant enough supply to not run out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true that you can combine the Treasure cards from Dominion and Intrigue, but the rules state that if a basic Treasure stack runs down, it counts as a depleted pile for the purposes of the game-end conditions.

Also, it's technically against the rules to put trashed cards back into the supply, although for basic Treasures it's not likely to matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
It's true that you can combine the Treasure cards from Dominion and Intrigue, but the rules state that if a basic Treasure stack runs down, it counts as a depleted pile for the purposes of the game-end conditions.

Also, it's technically against the rules to put trashed cards back into the supply, although for basic Treasures it's not likely to matter.

Does no one bother to read entire posts? I said we did that because I only sleeved about half of the treasures.

Did you not see the quote from the rules I posted as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Does no one bother to read entire posts? I said we did that because I only sleeved about half of the treasures.

Yeah, I saw all of that. It's cool and you can play how you like. It's just not technically what the rules stipulate.

If you'd said that when you trashed Treasures, you put them back in the supply and put an unsleeved copy in the trash, that would be different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whitney Barnes

California
msg tools
'Intrigue Rules' wrote:

The Treasure cards

I took this to mean that if the piles of treasure run out, it's just because of the economics of printing and packaging make it impossible to have more physical cards without jacking up the price of the box a lot. Basically, that it's a bug, not a feature. Coins have rarely run out in my games, but I personally think the right thing to do is to put in more, if you have them.

I also only sleeved enough coins for a 4-player game, and not quite that, because I wanted them to fit in the slots. But I saved the rest, and always have sleeves on hand, so on the occasions when coins have run out, I've been able to sleeve a few more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
But if you have Intrigue and Dominion the rules say you are supposed to play with all of the treasure because they represent an almost limitless supply.

corkysru wrote:

gf1024 wrote:
Listen to these guys, they tell the truth.

Are you implying I don't?

Intrigue Rules wrote:

The Treasure cards

The rules say the Treasure "can be" combined, it doesn't say that you're "supposed to" combine Treasure. And the sentence after the one you quoted clarifies:

Intrigue Rules wrote:

(If a type of Treasure card does run out, that becomes an empty pile in the Supply, which can be important for game ending conditions.)

So, you can play with one set of basic Treasure or two, but when the Treasure in play runs out, it counts as an empty pile. Note that when you play with 5-6 players, it's no longer optional: in that case you play with two sets of Treasure.

How you play in your home game is entirely up to you, but it's not supported by the rules as published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Montgomery
United States
Moraga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:

So, you can play with one set of basic Treasure or two, but when the Treasure in play runs out, it counts as an empty pile. Note that when you play with 5-6 players, it's no longer optional: in that case you play with two sets of Treasure.

How you play in your home game is entirely up to you, but it's not supported by the rules as published.

Huh.

Dominion uses table stakes? I had no idea.

By that I mean that there are two different possible amounts of treasure in play, but regardless of which total it is, that's all there is once the game starts. An interesting quirk.

I have seen Copper run out once, I think. No, not using double size piles! And not for a while. Maybe our play has changed to the point that games end quicker than that now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Tuxbury
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SHAZAM!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, after doing a search of the designer's replies to other posts, I found this response from November 23, 2008. It pretty well answers my question:

donaldx wrote:
It's the Provinces, or any three stacks. So for example if the Silver, Curses and Villages run out, that will end the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald once said (I'm not sure where) that copper, silver and gold were originally meant to be infinite. Since this is practically impossible, he decided that they will count as empty piles, just to simplify things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Tuxbury
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SHAZAM!
mbmbmbmbmb
And he just verified it for me through Geek Mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:

Can you tell that most of us would rather follow the rules than your attempt to save 50-75 cents?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerie Putman
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is true that you could play with two sets of treasure cards...or not. Or perhaps your dog chewed up one of your coppers and you are playing one short. The key is, at the start of the game, the supply is determined. If I want to play a game that purposefully tries to run out the copper pile to end the game, I should know at the start of the game how big that pile is (which might then deter me from that strategy). It shouldn't be the case that I'm working towards that goal and then halfway through the game you try to undo my efforts by trashing coppers and putting them back.

So... Yes we would have liked unlimited treasures (especially coppers) so that you couldn't be stuck in the very unlikely situation that all of your Treasures have been thieved and you can't even pretend to try to get back into the game. That said, we want the game to have a known amount of cards in the supply so that you can count them and plan for the game ending conditions accordingly. Wouldn't it suck if you bought an Estate thinking the game was nearly over and someone said--no, wait, I only put out half the cards--here are the other half.

So the final decision was to put in what we felt was enough treasure cards to very rarely run out, but not so many that you felt like you were buying a game with a million cards you never used, while still making it a supply pile that could end the game (rule consistency = more elegant game design).

Hope this was useful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.