Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Resurrecting a Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich S.
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
Well, this is just silly.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say you find a game which seems old. In fact, this game seems so old that it may not even be published anymore. In-fact-in-fact, this game's publisher may be dead and buried.

How do you go about finding out if the patent/copyright for a game has expired? Can it be reacquired by some yahoo off the street? What about amended, revamped and republished?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I suppose I'd start with trying to track down the publisher and designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S.
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have the publisher as listed, but the ol' internet off ers no further information on them. No designer is listed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Faehnle
United States
Cincinnati
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How do you go about finding out if the patent/copyright for a game has expired? Can it be reacquired by some yahoo off the street? What about amended, revamped and republished?

I believe that once the copyright has expired, it can't be re-copyrighted. (Derivative works, however, probably could be.)

As for the status of the patent/copyright, you could go to the US Patent & Trademark office: http://www.uspto.gov/

or the US Copyright Office: http://www.copyright.gov/

and search it there.

Yeah, Browns!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
address?
Does the box or rules have the address of the company?

Sure, they probably aren't there anymore, but maybe the state, or local newspapers might have something on the company.

if it was made before a certain date (1922?) it is definitely out of copyright and very likely to be if made before (I think) 1968? unless the copyright owner has jumped through the right hoops to avoid lapsing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S.
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, for some added fun:

The publisher was in Canada.

Are there similar means of accessing that info for Up North?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.