Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(1) Can rumors of monsters move? (I think this is a good idea...following all normal monster move rules.)

(2) Do rumors count as monsters for victory purposes? (I think I will play "no" from now on, so the Heroes can do the monster quest, one of the toughest for the Heroes to win against an experienced Sauron who suspects they have this quest, a bit easier by effectively making it so only 60% on avg of the tiles placed hurt victory by this route. This makes it more risky for Sauron to take his last 2 actions to place 2 new monster tokens (one per action) if none are on the board.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
butsam wrote:
(1) Can rumors of monsters move? (I think this is a good idea...following all normal monster move rules.)

You mean rumors can't spread ? Definately I've moved them, they are monster tokens and that's what counts when talking about monsters.

Quote:
(2) Do rumors count as monsters for victory purposes? (I think I will play "no" from now on, so the Heroes can do the monster quest, one of the toughest for the Heroes to win against an experienced Sauron who suspects they have this quest, a bit easier by effectively making it so only 60% on avg of the tiles placed hurt victory by this route. This makes it more risky for Sauron to take his last 2 actions to place 2 new monster tokens (one per action) if none are on the board.

Thoughts?

See #1 I say. Argalad better step up and Scout, seeing if there are blanks in non-Perilous locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam,

I used to agree with you regarding #2...but after thinking long and hard about how difficult the monster mission is already, particularly since Sauron will likely know you have the monster mission because why else target monsters to extinction, and thus can simply place 2 tiles at the last turn of the game in a perilous location (using 2 monster actions of course), I think I will try my next plays of the game with this different rule. I think this moves the monster mission from nearly impossible to difficult. I don't mind difficult, but I do mind nearly impossible.

As another alternative, though, you could have the heroes have the choice to fight a monster/minion as if it had been selected by Sauron during their "Explore" step.

After all, by the rules, mission draw is random and occurs *after* hero selection...what if Argalad is not in the game? Or are you always going to be Argalad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rumors of monsters create enough fear that the Mission still proves a success even if no actual monster was at the location. Yes, Sauron can use his final two actions to place two monsters (assuming he already had a third monster somewhere), but those monsters are most likely not going to hamper the Heroes from taking out Plots from the board. After all, dominance is #1 priority, Mission #2.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/552179/middle-earth-quest

To me monster tokens means any monster token, doesn't matter what's on the backside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Nesci
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/552179/middle-earth-quest

To me monster tokens means any monster token, doesn't matter what's on the backside.

This. The monster tokens don't have to be real monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another point/argument might be, well what about Plots that require a monster token in location X (or adjacent)? Should Sauron be required to have an actual monster there in order to play his Plot? If Mission requires an actual monster, why would the Plot not require one? Both only refer to "monster token".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points all around.

I think it is more logical to simply allow the hero to choose to attack a monster/minion (if battle has not yet occurred) in the Explore phase. Changed my mind -- I'll try that modification instead and see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.