Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right, hitting mainstream more and more!

In Entertainment Weekly's "The Must List", the iPhone app version of Samurai was plugged at number 3. The fact that it was mentioned at all is pretty fantastic, so I suppose the writer can be forgiven for calling it a "Risk-like game". To be fair, what else would you compare it to if you weren't familiar with eurogames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's cool that it was written up because it will drive sales. But I think the article does the game a big disservice by calling it a "Risk-like game". Purchasers may buy it based on statements such as this, and then you'll see a stream of 1 star reviews from L88t players who exclaim "EW said it was like Risk! This game blows!". And, since you ask what I'd compare it to... I'd say it is much more comparable to Chess or Othello than to Risk, but that's just my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
Well, it's cool that it was written up because it will drive sales. But I think the article does the game a big disservice by calling it a "Risk-like game". Purchasers may buy it based on statements such as this, and then you'll see a stream of 1 star reviews from L88t players who exclaim "EW said it was like Risk! This game blows!". And, since you ask what I'd compare it to... I'd say it is much more comparable to Chess or Othello than to Risk, but that's just my opinion.
I agree but don't agree. It's pretty clear that there's a 'salesman' element here. It reminds me of how a fact with electric irons used to have just 1 to 3 holes. Then, manufacturers realized that if they made and sold irons with more holes, consumsers thought those were better for some reason and sales would go up.

At any rate, if they advertise RK's Samurai as like Chess or Othello, it may turn off many potential buyers. As far as playing the game and realizing it's not quite Risk, that's always a risk they take (pun intended I suppose). Despite the many flaws that the community sees in Risk, it IS a game that many people have enjoyed. If that's the case, if you enjoyed Risk, chances are, you'll like Samurai (or anything else boardgaming for that matter). You need to pull them in, and if a little white lie works, then that's marketing for you.

Of course, there's always the chance that the person who didn't write it really doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is a little of all three games. It is just as much RISK as chess. What I tell people is this, RISK is a game most people want to love, but can't. I can't play it anymore, it just lack something, players get eliminated, can go on for hours, days, where you just want it to end, yet, there is something about it. Samurai is a good replacement fit. Tell them Samurai is somewhat like RISK but tile based, tiles are like card drawing, little like chess, Go/Othello during play, much shorter time play than RISK, Small World same thing, it is and it isn't all the above games. I do think Samurai is an excellent 2 player game,this is a big plus for me, OK with three, with more, I don't care for it. Only played Small World on the iPad, so, only have played the two player game. I would think it might scale better. Samurai is a much more less is more game, than Small World, I think.

Hey, it is a moot point, the nice thing is you can just buy the iphone/ipad copy without spending a lot for the real board game to see if you like it. Small World is a bit $$. I think the price went up, got it around 5-6 buck or so, I think, can't remember, before the AI was put in. Nine or ten plus bucks and I start to balk as the ouch factor comes into play if I don't like it. If you could resell it wouldn't be so bad. There is an idea, a second hand app store in itunes :D

oops, it was Keltis: Das Orakel that was missing the AI and then they raised the price. Remember now buying it early for that reason because they said it would go up. Not sure if it did, or they dropped the price back down. Problem with the app not showing the price on the iPad once you have purchased it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew B
Canada
flag msg tools
danamark wrote:
Hey, it is a moot point, the nice thing is you can just buy the iphone/ipad copy without spending a lot for the real board game to see if you like it. Small World is a bit $$. I think the price went up, got it around 5-6 buck or so, I think, can't remember, before the AI was put in. Nine or ten plus bucks and I start to balk as the ouch factor comes into play if I don't like it. If you could resell it wouldn't be so bad. There is an idea, a second hand app store in itunes

oops, it was Keltis: Das Orakel that was missing the AI and then they raised the price. Remember now buying it early for that reason because they said it would go up. Not sure if it did, or they dropped the price back down. Problem with the app not showing the price on the iPad once you have purchased it.

I don't own an iPad so I can't say for sure but I believe you were correct from the start. I'm pretty sure Small World is the one that didn't have AI in the beginning since my friend waited to get it for his iPad and I'm guessing this is the reason, I think he wanted AI because he didn't really have anyone to play with. I personally would never buy a board game that can only be played against another human opponent if the game was not online.

Keltis Oracle on the other hand has been on my iPod since they made the app universal. My friend with the iPad loved Keltis Oracle since it came out so I'm pretty sure it had AI from the start. I think the problem was that the AI just wasn't that good, the update has certainly improved them but they are still very easy to defeat even on the hardest setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason I purchased the app without the AI was that they said they were going to bump the price up when it came out, that it would be a free upgrade, worked out well. Hoping Modern Art and Through the Desert will be release soon. I have Keltis Das Orakel, Small World, Samurai, Roll through the Ages. All good games. RTA needs better graphics, and some work. Would be nice if they showed the dice rolls somewhere on the screen when checking that development screen. You have to flip back and forth a lot between screens. Still, not too bad of an app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.