Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Tyle
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As a relative newbie, I just made my first multi-game purchase. My choices were based on what I've read on BGG. Since there are always several threads on which starter games to buy, I thought some might find it of interest to read about which games "made the cut", which did not, and why.

A few preliminaries --

1) I'm not a complete newbie. I own Columbia Games' "War of 1812", which I've played a few times with my sons, and enjoy it very much. I also own, and like, "The Battle for Hill 218", and two solitaire Victory Point Games, "Levee en Masse" and "Soviet Dawn." However, I could not by any stretch be considered a "wargamer." (My main hobby is sports simulation games.)

2) I prefer strategic games, ideally with political elements as well as military ones.

3) My historical interests are American up to the Civil War, and Europe from the mid-17th century up to World War I. (Both the ACW and WWI themselves would be "on the fence" for me.)

With that out of the way:

What made the cut:

1) Washington's War. Card-driven games seem quite popular and seem to dominate among the types of games I'm interested in (strategic, and not too long/complex). The short playing time, the fact that this is a remake of the first CDG, and the fact that the American Revolution is my biggest single historical interest clinched it. My only hesitation is that the rulebook is somewhat long and more complex than I would have thought.

2) Age of Napoleon. Another period of interest; the diplomatic element appealed to me. I was a little concerned about comments regarding the rulebook, but hopefully this will not be a problem.

3) Napoleon's Triumph. This is a bit of a stretch for me. It's not a strategic game, and I fear the game will be too challenging for me and my most likely partners (my sons). But it seems like a very innovative game, and I'm worried if I pass now, it may go out of print.

What should have made the cut:

A House Divided. Even though the ACW is a borderline interest of mine, this seemed like a simple and fun game. But the on-line store I ordered from did not have it in stock, and its availability seems very limited now.

What did not make the cut:

1) Wilderness War. This looks interesting, but I thought I'd start with Washington's War.

2) Liberty: The American Revolution 1775-83. I really liked War of 1812, but this too got beaten out by Washington's War.

3) Richard III: The Wars of the Roses. Two reasons I passed -- first, my interest in the period is limited and, second, some of the reviews suggested the game was not balanced.

4) Unhappy King Charles!. I was a little worried about the game length. But, if the CDG thing ends up to my liking, this is a likely future purchase.

5) Maria, Friedrich. I'm very interested in the period, but the game mechanics just didn't appeal to me. Also, neither seemed to be intended for two players, which is the most likely use for me. (I would like a good three-player game, however.) Another game from the same period, Prussia's Defiant Stand, seemed like it might be too complex and possibly unbalanced, based on user comments.

6) The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition). Age of Napoleon seemed better for someone at my level.

7) Napoleon's War: The 100 Days. This met the simplicity criteria and the use of minis was intriguing. But I have limited interest in tactical games, and had already decided on Napoleon's Triumph. I also considered, but passed on, Hold the Line.

8) No Peace Without Spain!. This looks very interesting, but it's not out yet.

I hope that the foregoing was of some interest to readers of the forum. I'd be interested in any reactions. Also, if anyone wants to help me learn Napoleon's Triumph . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I looks like you made some good choices. I have not played Age of Napoleon, but I have heard good things. Liberty is still a great game even if you own Washington's War IMO. They are both worth having.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A fine few games there. Do keep an eye on Wilderness War if you like Washington's War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.