Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I could take more weekends for board game meetups. ConQuest Oregon happens to drop right in between otherwise crazy busy weeks this fall, so I'm excited to be able to attend.

I've started a geek list with some of the board games being run:
ConQuest Oregon 2010

Here is a link to the convention's webpage:
http://oregon.avalongamecon.com/index.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Hilton
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be there, with my wife and one of my board gaming buddies.

I'm kind of tempted to try to run a game of TI3, but this will be my first con, (and it's TI3!) so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt McCallum
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brittney and I will be there too. Last year was a blast and I think this year will be even better. I am planning on running some games so hopefully I can contribute to your geeklist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's looking like I'll be there to run a demo or two of our upcoming release, Alien Frontiers. This is the first con I've been to in over 20 years...can anyone tell me what to expect from ConQuest Oregon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be there, as well as one of my friends and fellow writers (who is supplying my transport -- I don't think the Fairgrounds is accessible by bus) and plan to attend all three days. It would be really cool if I run into some people I hit it off with well enough that I can be part of a game group after the convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Print & Play Productions
Print & Play Productions- Games

If anyone wants parts or games from my list, I'm going to be there, and I can drop off your order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And it turns out my friend has canceled on me because of other commitments. I need a lift to ConQuest for all three days -- I'm in Hillsdale which is about halfway between downtown Portland and Beaverton. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
And it turns out my friend has canceled on me because of other commitments. I need a lift to ConQuest for all three days -- I'm in Hillsdale which is about halfway between downtown Portland and Beaverton. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Bus to Beaverton, Max to the Fair Grounds.
Google Maps is your friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I tried last year, it didn't turn out to be quite that easy. Probably because it was very easy for an inexperienced person to get lost in Hillsboro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
When I tried last year, it didn't turn out to be quite that easy. Probably because it was very easy for an inexperienced person to get lost in Hillsboro.

I did the same thing. I took a bus, then the max, and biked around for a while before I actually found the fair grounds and the Conquest Oregon building .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The sponsor, Rainy Day Games, sent me this link to a map. It's in the same place where they hold their Yu-Gi-Oh! event.

ConQuest Oregon Map

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
The buildings that Conquest are held at are at one corner of the fairgrounds and actually just about as far away from the MAIN parking lot as you can get, so this may confuse people coming.

I would definitely park at the BACK parking lot if you could. I annotated a google map:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brokasaphasia wrote:
The buildings that Conquest are held at are at one corner of the fairgrounds and actually just about as far away from the MAIN parking lot as you can get, so this may confuse people coming.

I would definitely park at the BACK parking lot if you could. I annotated a google map:

You don't know hoe helpful that is. It is, in fact, really helpful and I truly appreciate it.

I just hope that if I do have to take the hike that it isn't too warm out, especially if I have to carry stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if you all saw this or not but I'll post it here too:

quozl wrote:
Since my What do you want to play at Gamestorm 2010? geeklist was so popular, I thought I'd make one for Conquest Oregon, which happens October 1-3 this year.

What do you want to play at Conquest Oregon 2010?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The trip to Portland was nice though we got a little twisted around in Hillsboro due to construction and detours. The noon to 5pm gaming block went well. We played three complete games and had a couple of tutorials with people between other games. Checked into the hotel, ate dinner, and now we're back for the 7pm to 9pm block. So far, no takers. Everyone seems engaged and there are few people loose and wandering about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Things picked up nicely, almost as soon as I finished that last post. I played a 2-player game with a guy who passed by and did a double-take at the game art, then a group of three guys strode confidently up to our table and said they wanted to play, so we had a great four player game. They were a great group of guys and fun to game with. I had been lagging behind in all the games we played yesterday, but this game I took an early lead and kept it right up to the last two turns when I made the mistake of showing the guys how the discard powers of the Alien Tech cards can be used to affect the colonies on the board. Oops. In two turns they found how much fun it can be to target the leading player and I was slapped back into third place. Ouch! Still, it was for a good cause and they really liked the game.

We're heading back to the table a little later this morning. Hope to see you there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For some unknown reason I didn't suck quite so badly as I usually do.

Also for once I stayed for the game auction and got a fairly nice haul all things considered. I was able to get Totaler Krieg for $20, Order of the Stick for $6, and Rome at War for $6 I believe. I ended up buying eight decent games for $38. It can't have been much fun for the people who had items up for bid, though, as almost everything went for WAY under its actual value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
It can't have been much fun for the people who had items up for bid, though, as almost everything went for WAY under its actual value.

As discussed on the auction result geeklists, the prices this year were actually better than some past years. It goes up and down year to year.

My minimal bids were priced higher than most (most at $5 or $10). In the past, I've put blame for low bidding on the sellers for submitting bids that were too low. This year, I was concerned going in when I heard about the submitted minimum bids, but it appears many items went well above the minimum.

Big kudos to RDG for making this year's auction more appealing to draw in more buyers. I was skeptical after last year's outcome, but ended up surprised and pleased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that so many expensive items had $1 minimum bids it probably shouldn't be surprising that the sellers didn't get very much for their pains. It certainly provides an interesting subset of "buyer's remorse" to think that the seller got little or nothing for what you bought at bargain prices.

I seemed to be the only guy in the market for sports games, and since I was selective many rare old games went unsold. And I managed to get My Dwarves Fly in shrink-wrap for just a buck.

There was one other guy with a lot more money than I had who bid on just about every wargame to be had. Fortunately for me he showed some pity and I managed to get high bid on a couple of titles. The guy must have been a very serious collector because he bid on some games that probably weren't very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.