Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M *
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I hang around a lot of eco-friendly, tree hugging, sing-a-long, vegetarians at college, and I'm looking for a good board game that matches some of their core values, however, it still needs to be an excellent board game.

Anyone come across a game like that? Save the Whales? Plight of the Poverty Stricken? Help the crushed indigenus population? Something like that?

OverBoard: The Board Game Webcomic
http://www.overboard-comic.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Jefferson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet they eat a lot of beans. How about starting a bean farm?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Smith
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There were pics on the front page recently about something to do with carbon trading / reduction, and I can't remember the name of the game for the life of me. Looked interesting.

Reef Encounter might work. Circle of life and whatnot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Allen
United States
Madison Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about R-Eco or Nature Fluxx?

You could always play Power Grid and tell them to only buy the "green" power plants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as theme goes, I'd say R-Eco, though it's not a complex game (not that I have played it, mind you).

If the tree hugging has an aspect of anarchy, you might even try something politically incorrect. Like: War on Terror (it's about what it says on the box), or the same company's take on economic crisis Crunch: The Game for Utter Bankers. Anohter heavier game (and hard to find a copy) about egoistic capitalists: Greed Incorporated. Unless they have a good sense of humor you might want to avoid Kill the Hippies .

But you could go for components - I've seen some "eco friendly" sets of chess and solitaire- made from bamboo (from the same company). Looks nice as a conversation piece, the game itself, ehm... you know. You could try with something made form wood, like Gigamic games abstracts: Quoridor is said to be the best. But if you would preffer something more creative but wooden (khm) look up Bausack.

Oh stupid me - if you want a serious theme, go look up sierra madre's line (haven't played anything btw.)- all their games are unique, complicated, long, and serious about their theme:
Erosion - a card game about geology, eroding mountains, stealing debris from other player's mountains. I think this one is lighter comaper to their boardgames.
also American Megafauna (a game about prehistoric evolution of animaols in america, warning - long game),
Origins: How We Became Human (evolution of humans, long game, but bearable),

also
GMT is publishing another evolution kind of game this year:Dominant Species
GMT's Conquest of Paradise - a game about pre-colonialist settling of islands in Pacific. Said to be a good game, but not the best one. Medium weight.
Getting cynical about green isuues - a game of german politics - Die Macher.

Well this sould start your thinking process about what you're after.

But I'd say the main thing is - you want a light, non-confrontational game (like Bausack, maybe creative party games, co-op games?), you want a good theme with ironic take on capitalism and political undertones (War on Terror, Greed inc, Crunch) or do you want a nice wooden table piece?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess Junta is out of the contest...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RanDomino Nickelmaster
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan
they'll get bloodthirsty in no time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a 1978 board game Save the Whales that captures the theme you are looking for, but I do not know if it is a good board game or not. You can acquire a copy from the EDF (Environment Defense Fund) for $36. There might be copies available here on the BGG, but I have not checked myself. Here is the URL if you are interested;

http://www.edf.org/article.cfm?contentID=4924

On the same web site there a global climate change game, Keep Cool, that deals with global climate change. Fits what you are looking for, but no idea if it is a good game.

There is also a highly sought after, and therefore sometimes expensive game called Flowerpower in which you place tiles to create the largest gardens. A very beautiful abstract tile-laying game that has somewhat of a hippie, planting-flowers-in-mother-earth theme that might be appealing.

Happy gaming!

edits for many grammatical errors blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.