Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: some questions after first game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Zarek
msg tools
Hi Guys.

Finally after watching all Episodes and additional masterpieces I ordered the boardgame. The instuction left me with a lot of questions. Really crappy instructions! Some i could answer by clicking through the posts.
Im from vienna and purchased the german version so i might have some translating problems as regards the accurate names of the cards. Will do my very best.

What I still don´t know:

1) In the first round Helo (my chosen carakter ) isn´t on the board, can´t play an action card or move. But does he draw cards?

2) The cards everyone draws at the start (would call them skillcards) There is one in the green category that says "Choose player, he can move and has one action or ...." (named Leadership card??). Now finally the question.
Can i play this card on myself?

3) Does Laura Roslin always throw away 2 skillcards when she uses an action of a room? Sounds a bit harsh to me.

4) Can any non piloting charakter contol a maned Viper?

5) The cards only the presiden can draw (think they are called Quorum cards)
Had the feeling they are not very powerful cards. None was played during the whole game.

6) Right now i can´t think of any other advantages a maned Viper has except that you can make one additional movement in the action phase. (This one just came in my mind and i could also look it up by myself but when i´m already on the keyboard ...

7) When Baltar looks into a players loyalty cards is he allowed to tell if the person is Cylon or human.
Read in another post that Baltar was able to look into the cards of 2 players. How is thar possible?

Perhaps i will come up with some more questions after the second game. Looking already forward to it

thx for listening

so say we all
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, he still draws his skill cards.

2. The card is the "Executive Order", and no, you may not play it on yourself, only on another player.

3. Yes, she does. All the characters have differing per-turns, once-per-games, and draw-backs that tend to balance each other out. Roslin's drawback is harsh because her per-turn is so powerful.

4. No, only characters that are Pilots may pilot a viper.

5. The Quorum cards can be very situationally powerful, and as you play more games I imagine you will find yourself using them more frequently.

6. Manned vipers can be moved by characters who are piloting them (see above, Pilots), and do not require activations of Command to be moved. Additionally, Pilots can play cards like Maximum Firepower while piloting vipers, which make them very effective at killing raiders.

Edit: 7. If you get to look at another player's loyalty card(s), either because you're Baltar and you're using your OPG, or because of a Quorum card or crisis that allows you to do so, you may say whatever you wish about what you have seen. You don't get to *show* the card to other players, so, for all they know, you may be lying through your teeth, but if you want to say, "He's a Cylon!", even though he isn't, you may do so.

Good luck with your next game! =)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ad 6: There is also the fact that if an Evasive Maneuver is played on a manned viper, the next die roll of the attacking raider gets a -2. And some of the pilots get extra advantage; Starbuck gets an extra action when she starts her turn in a viper, and Apollo gets to jump into a viper when it is launched even when it is not his turn, after which he may take an extra action.

Ad 7: There is one quorum card that allows a player to looks at someone's loyalty, and there are several crises which allow this if they are passed. However, Baltar's OPG (Once-Per-Game power) is the only one that lets a player look at ALL of another player's loyalty cards. You can say about another's loyalty whatever you want. You are not, however, allowed to announce a player's reveal power if you have seen it. Nor are you allowed to say how many Cylon loyalty cards someone holds.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zarek
msg tools
Thx very much.

Didn´t expect to get such a fast answer

I added a question number 7. So if you don´t mind...

Everthing over 5 minutes response time and im disapointed
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zarek
msg tools
Anwers roll in during im writing . Fantastic guys !! Thanks alot
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dario Wimmer
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Colonial One wrote:

4. No, only characters that are Pilots may pilot a viper.


That's not quite true if you understand "Pilots" as in "red-box-in-the-upper-right-corner-pilots". I don't say you meant it that way, I'm just trying to avoid misunderstandings.

Every Character that has piloting in his or her skillset can fly a Viper which means that Helo, although being a Military Leader, can fly a Viper. Easy way to determine if someone can fly: If there is a piloting token in the box with his face on it he can, if there is none he can't.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Bols
msg tools
Hey Mr. Zarek.

I am from Vienna too. So if you need an additional player once an a while, let me know.

Cpt. Caprica
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zarek
msg tools
Hehe. The world is a village. So then we can switch to german.

Servas Oida .
Ne, Spaß beiseite. Ehrlich gesagt bin ich grad ziemlich angepisst dass heut keiner von meinen Freuden Zeit hatte zu spielen. Beim ersten Spiel lief es irgendwie nicht so richtig aber man hat schon erahnen können dass das Spiel einiges an Potential in sich birgt.
Bin aus dem 22. bezirk 29 Jahre (nimma lang) und machen öfters Spieleabende bei mir. Klingt jetzt wie ne billige Kontaktanzeige aber vielleicht lässt sich ja wirklich mal was vereinbaren.
Lg
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Bols
msg tools
Serwus, bin im selben alter und aus dem 21. Meine Freunde sind leider auch sehr schwer für das Spiel zu begeistern. Daher bin ich dankbar über jeden der mit mir spielt. ;-)

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a tradeoff, and it's situational too.

The only other pros for manned vipers I can think of are:
--Command is damaged and thus, will have no direct way of controlling the unmanned vipers. Apollo's OPG to do up to 6 unmanned viper activations is the only thing that comes to mind. Otherwise, if there aren't any vipers left in Reserves, someone can use Hangar Deck recall one so that character can use it instead.
--All the people who can pilot a viper have run off to become cylon, or are stuck in the Brig.
--There's a cylon attack card with a special rule that unmanned vipers suffer a -2 penalty when they attack. Manned vipers do not suffer that penalty.

For unmanned vipers:
--You can get 2 shots in a row via Command from a single, well placed viper
--Hangar Deck is damaged, and save for Apollo's special ability, no other way to get manned vipers out there
--the two above are doubled when someone got XO-ed while already on the Command location.
--you can move in 2 vipers with a single Command activation if they're both adjacent to where they need to be.
--Apollo's OPG ability lets him control these guys.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zarek
msg tools
@ Harry Bols

Falls du es nicht gemerkt haben solltest: Hab dir ne Nachricht geschickt. Schau mal in eine Inbox
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zarek
msg tools
Another important Question.

If you are a Cylon you can use the resurraction ship action.

Therefore you can give a loyaltycard of yours to another player.
Several scenarios come to my mind (for 5 players, 8 human and 2 Cylon loyality cards are in the carddeck)

How does this work?



For example you are an outed Cylon. You didn´t play the actin of your loyalty card because you were in the brig when you outed yourself as a cylon. Lets assume you got 1 you are a human and one you are a cylon card. If you use resurrection you can give a not used loyalty card to another player. But I think it´s not possible to giva away your one Cylon Loyalty card and make another person to a cylon (and go back being human) . Think that only makes sense if you have both Cylon cards that exist to turn a human into a Cylo becaues then you have a Cylon Card left for yourself.

Somehow i don´t get it. Or i overread sthg in the instructions that says that you have to throw away one Cylon Loyalty card if you out yourself as cylon. Would make sense to only use it if you draw 2 you are a cylon card.

Please help
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ballesterer wrote:
Another important Question.

If you are a Cylon you can use the resurraction ship action.

Therefore you can give a loyaltycard of yours to another player.
Several scenarios come to my mind (for 5 players, 8 human and 2 Cylon loyality cards are in the carddeck)

How does this work?



For example you are an outed Cylon. You didn´t play the actin of your loyalty card because you were in the brig when you outed yourself as a cylon. Lets assume you got 1 you are a human and one you are a cylon card. If you use resurrection you can give a not used loyalty card to another player. But I think it´s not possible to giva away your one Cylon Loyalty card and make another person to a cylon (and go back being human) . Think that only makes sense if you have both Cylon cards that exist to turn a human into a Cylo becaues then you have a Cylon Card left for yourself.

Somehow i don´t get it. Or i overread sthg in the instructions that says that you have to throw away one Cylon Loyalty card if you out yourself as cylon. Would make sense to only use it if you draw 2 you are a cylon card.

Please help
While it's more ideal to use the Resurrection Ship location if you have 2 cylon cards, it's not the only case to do so. If you did have 2 cylon cards, one will get flipped over when you reveal, allowing you to move on to the cylon ship locations. Then when you use Res. Ship location, you would give your other, unrevealed loyalty card to another human player, thus making him cylon. He would then reveal at a later time, or not. He could still win the game as an unrevealed cylon.

Note that when you give loyalty cards to another player in this manner, the loyalty card is handed to him face down, so only the person receiving the card knows what it is. Whether or not the loyalt card given is human or cylon, you always hold on to the cylon card you flipped up and revealed. It stays there to show you are indeeda cylon.

In some cases, I've seen players use Res. Ship as 'double duty' to 1) swap out a lousy super crisis card (some players choose or are forced to reveal early enough in the game that this is quite a viable option) and to 2) hand off loyalty while they're at it cards. Even if the loyalty card says they're NOT a cylon, it can still draw enough suspicion to slow down the Colonial Fleet. If you're Baltar or Boomer after the sleeper phase, you'll have 2 loyalty cards to hand off to another human, which can draw even more suspicion to the person receiving the loyalty cards. It could help your cylon ally if the humans suspect the guy who got the loyalty cards is now the new cylon.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zarek
msg tools
If there aren´t enough Raiders left. Where do I put the ones i can use? Who or what decides?

Can a pilot who drives a Viper directly be put into the brig?

Thx alot
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
If the game calls for placing more components than are available, the current player decides which ones are placed.

Yes, players in vipers can be thrown in the brig (the viper is returned to the reserves). Note that this does not apply to the cylon reveal power, which specifically targets a player aboard Galactica.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:
If the game calls for placing more components than are available, the current player decides which ones are placed.
one thing alot of ppl miss is if there aren't any vipers in the Reserves when a pilot (or Helo) wants to man one, he can recall an unmanned viper already deployed out in the space areas back into the Reserves, then jump into one and launch from one of the 2 luanch spots next to Galactica.

EDIT: Ambiguous indeed
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zarek
msg tools
Sorry but i didn´t exactly get it. Do you mean a Pilot can get into a Viper right there where it is positioned, or that he can call one back and start from the hangar deck. Guess the second possibility.


(What does ppl mean?)

thx
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ballesterer wrote:
Sorry but i didn´t exactly get it. Do you mean a Pilot can get into a Viper right there where it is positioned, or that he can call one back and start from the hangar deck. Guess the second possibility.


(What does ppl mean?)

thx


1) The second meaning. A Viper on the board is recalled to the Hangar, and the character (Helo for example) then launches into one of the adjacent space sectors.

2) ppl is probably "People", reading it in context "one thing ppl miss" becomes "one thing people miss"....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ps: Welcome to bgg!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zarek
msg tools
Thanks Gerry.

Got another one. Some crisis cards say: Active Player chooses. If the Player is a revealed Cylon I guess he decides as active Player. Therefore he also suffers the consequences (e.g. active Player throws away 3 Skillcards.)

Please tell me if i´m right with both my assumtions.

Lg
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ballesterer wrote:
Thanks Gerry.

Got another one. Some crisis cards say: Active Player chooses. If the Player is a revealed Cylon I guess he decides as active Player. Therefore he also suffers the consequences (e.g. active Player throws away 3 Skillcards.)

Please tell me if i´m right with both my assumtions.

Lg


You are right in the first assumption (the Active player decides, even if s/he is a revealed Cylon), but not in the second. A revealed Cylon never has to suffer the negative consequences of a Crisis card.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zarek
msg tools
Very well. Thanks alot. Now that you say that i can remember having read this in the instructions.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.