Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings 18vets.

As a new player to the system, I have begun to wonder about what possibilities exist for me out in this wide world. So I ask, what is the "bloodiest" 18xx game?

By "bloody" I mean:
- Bankruptcies
- Company Takeovers
- Train rush
- Station blocking
- Limited tile lay
- Stock manipulation

What I enjoy the most about these games is the degree of interaction and complexity. I don't enjoy moments where everyone runs their trains several times with only incremental gains or where trains flow out smoothly without any trouble.

What, oh 18vets, do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schoonmaker
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
This overtext intentionally left blank.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played it, but by reputation 1841 has a lot of scope for shenanigans. I am told that 1849 has a lot of similiarities.

The group I usually play with tends (mostly) towards the "nicer" titles, so the most vicious game I've played is probably 1856, which has opportunities for all of the things that you list (though company takeovers are rare). 1832 has some opportunities for hosing, but there's (usually) just enough cash to pay for trains. I haven't played with the Bank, though, and I'm not sure whether that would make it better or worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most definitely 1841. Even though I haven't played it yet, just reading the manual gave me the creeps.

18MEX can be brutal as well. 1848 has a few nasty edges to it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
1841 is 3 involved 18xx games sharing the same map and bank. Add the ability for each company to purchase other companies shares and the best way to sum it up is Wow! 1841 is not for beginners and not everyone who's played it would play it again. It certainly qualifies as a bloody beast of a game.

-Ron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Well 1830 should be mentioned...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
1849: The Game of Sicilian Railways also comes to mind, as does my own 1843 (there is usually a point where a single train is bought that rusts every other train in the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.