Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Power Grid» Forums » Rules

Subject: Where can I build a new city and how do I calculate the connection costs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello you all,

I just got myself FF's fantastic game "Power Grid" In the brandnewly edited portuguese version (cheers to Runadrake for the great effort)!. After I tore away the shrinkwrap, I started to get sweaty hands. I have had close encounters with FF's rulebooks before (the horrendous "Formidable Foes" rulebook for example). I did have a look at the FAQ already without even testing the game first, questions just don't stop popping up from just reading the rules... let alone trying to make them work...

So far there has been one thing bothering me real hard, since it feels contradicting. I am reading portuguese rules, did read the german rules from 2f-spiele.de and also checked the english ones at rio grande but can't figure it out.

It regards expanding the network. In the rules you can read the following:

"When connecting to a new city, the player chooses the cheapest connection between the new andone of his own cities and pays the total costs to the bank."

A little later you read:

"The player may build through a city without placing a house there if he wants or (more likely) if there is no room in the city."

So what is it now? Must I chose the cheapest possible connection? May I choose longer connections? Or is it simply that I may expand as far as I want to and what they mean is that, after chosing where I want to place my new connection marker, I choose the cheapest possible connectio?... wait... all seems to make more sense now! It's the last option, is it not?... I think the problem was in that they use the word "connection" for both placing a house and connecting two or more cities... am I right?

I bet Friedemann Friese was a Hauptschueler... soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: May or must?
there's is absolutely no way why you would what to connect with a more expensive connection.

and yes, u answered your own question correctly first you choose a city you want to build into. it can be any city, no restriction. next u count how much it cost you. and by logic, you'll want to get the cheapest route even if the rules did not mention it. unless you are really winning by a lot and want to secretly let you girlfriend win the game....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
You build anywhere you want.

Then, of all the possible ways you could trace a path to your new city, you "choose the cheapest one" to determine how much you have to pay for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
It regards expanding the network. In the rules you can read the following:

"When connecting to a new city, the player chooses the cheapest connection between the new andone of his own cities and pays the total costs to the bank."

A little later you read:

"The player may build through a city without placing a house there if he wants or (more likely) if there is no room in the city."

So what is it now? Must I chose the cheapest possible connection? May I choose longer connections?

You seem not to be understanding that you decide which city you want to build to! You choose the cheapest connection to that selected city.

You don't choose the cheapest connection that exists to any city and have to build to that cheapest connection city. That would remove almost all decision making from the city-purchasing part of the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedrator wrote:
So what is it now? Must I chose the cheapest possible connection? May I choose longer connections?

You may choose to expand to any city you want to, can afford, and is otherwise allowed by the rules.

You do not necessarily need to pick the city with the lowest connection cost.

Once you have chosen a city, you must of course pay the connection cost. It is here the rules language about "cheapest connection" comes in. There is never any reason to pay more than you need to, so you will always pay for the cheapest connection to each city you connect.

But this doesn't mean that city must be the one with the cheapest connection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.