Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Friendt
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am wondering which is better, descent or space hulk?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I've only played Space Hulk, and it was great. As an abstract strategy fan, I liked how it was a simple game with interesting spatial/timing elements to it.

I am not sure if I can recommend it at its price though. I won't recommend against it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Humphreys
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both, and Space Hulk is better. This has been empirically proven many times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the above. Played both, Space Hulk rocks. Descent, well, doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
SPACE HUUUUUUUULK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk is a great game with two WILDLY different forces. It's a great 2 player game

Descent is a dungeon hack with a party of badass heroes vs. a horde of villains. It's better for a group of players, or if you prefer fantasy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk is vastly better for two people, but does not work with more than two.

The games are very different and probably both worth getting. If I were you, I would get Space Hulk now, while you still can, and get Descent later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Benson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're really very different games. Space hulk is a comparably quick 2 player game and descent is a several-hour, expandable, in-depth dungeon crawl. Both are good, for different reasons. If you have several friends who want a streamlined D&D experience, Descent is great, and the expansions make it more fun. I actually found Space Hulk surprisingly fiddly, which lessened the fun significantly. Sometimes just getting the genestealers to fit next to one another in a tight corridor without falling over is a huge pain in the butt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Two very different games. They're both tactical miniatures skirmish games, but Descent is more of a dungeoncrawl with the dungeonmaster having limited resources, different forces, and different special effects (eg. traps) at his disposal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For stand alone without expansions, Space Hulk hands down.

Once you toss in some expansions, especially Road to Legend or Sea of Blood which has some shorter and more manageable dungeons, I'd say Descent takes the lead. So, with a LOT of money sunk into it for more than just the base game, Descent...but otherwise Space Hulk by a Millenia or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I realise adding another game for consideration may only muddy the waters, but this game really deserves a close look if you're in the market for this type of experience: Claustrophobia.

*Edited to correct an unintentional malapropt*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Dearborn
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spirit of 70 wrote:
I realise adding another game for consideration may only muddle the waters, but this game really deserves a close look if you're in the market for this type of experience: Claustrophobia.

I agree completely with Spirit of 70.........go with Claustrophobia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia is pretty rad. If I had to pick one, I'd pick Claustrophobia. (Especially if I could buy two other games with the money I've saved.) Even if you pick up Hulk, I'd urge you to keep Claustrophobia in mind for the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent, like many FFg gAMes, is obsessed with expansions, most of which are in boxes largely than the biggest ones I am willing to give shelf space to.

So, factor how likely you are to buy the expansions. If you would be tempted, get Space Hulk, it's self contained, and it's a lot safer an investment, since the game has stood the test of time.

However, you are supporting GW bvy buying a copy, and I am not sure if that's an issue for you as a BGG'er. It is for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk moves mountains, will bring women to their knees in envy, the components taste like sexual chocolate, and owning it will make you as cool as Samuel Jackson. Plus copies are abundant, easy to find, and cheap when fully painted.
In other words Claustrophobia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent is a very good game and people tend to over-exaggerate how good Space Hulk is. But they only exaggerate a little. It's an amazing game and definitely more classic than Descent.

For the right group, Descent could be better. As a general case, Space Hulk is the stronger game. But can you even buy it currently?

EDIT: To clarify, I think the one problem with Space Hulk is that it doesn't stand up to heavy amounts of play. It's the kind of game you want to play from time-to-time, but playing it constantly can cause it to feel "samey."

Descent has more problems, but is pretty awesome in its own right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.