Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Yet another proud parent journal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Only just turned two, and she's playing go.
Well, almost.

Clementine was playing white. She likes the white pieces; they're nice and crunchy. She got off to a fast start, so I quickly put a few pieces down as black.

http://rainbot.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/go1.jpg

Tricky, but Clementine was one step ahead of me:

http://rainbot.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/go2.jpg

And what a finish; black didn't stand a chance. Or white for that matter!

http://rainbot.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/go3.jpg

I'm so proud...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know they made little standing Go boards that small...

Looks good for a "nice quick game", though I've never played on a board that small before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go board from:
http://www.rittel-verlag.de/100590/1/1001/924.htm

I thought beginning players should play their first 100 or so games on a 9x9 board to get the hang of life and death, then move up to a 13x13, then finally the 19x19.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgeous!

Sometimes playing WITH games is as much fun as playing them.

My almost-2-year-old can't be left alone near chess pieces (she's the mighty giant who eats - or at least slobbers all over - their puny armies) or any other games, particularly Uno cards. We've even played a little "Tummy Ache" as a jigsaw puzzle rather than turn-taking activity - and her sister's old "Junior Uno" has been sacrificed to the Appeasement Fairies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Wow, it travels! (Though not as well as a magnetic set ) Neat! And it's such an awesome set! Nice bowls!

Quote:
I thought beginning players should play their first 100 or so games on a 9x9 board to get the hang of life and death, then move up to a 13x13, then finally the 19x19.

I just started out brutally on 13x13. Sensei says I haven't lost my first 100 games yet, so cannot yet reach the next level of enlightenment.

Perhaps I shall tag along a 9x9 on the daily ferry commute and see if I can find some people who are willing to play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My almost-2-year-old can't be left alone near chess pieces (she's the mighty giant who eats - or at least slobbers all over - their puny armies) or any other games, particularly Uno cards. We've even played a little "Tummy Ache" as a jigsaw puzzle rather than turn-taking activity - and her sister's old "Junior Uno" has been sacrificed to the Appeasement Fairies.

Oh, yes; we know all about the appeasement fairies; we've lost a couple of packs of playing cards. Clementine has to be watched very carefully around the go stones though - I wouldn't mind her swallowing the odd one or two, since it's apparently normal for professional go players to go through that stage, but the crunching noises are very alarming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyman Hurd
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course in Japan children reach the professional go ranks at age 18 months .

She's adorable. I seem to remember when she was a new concept and I know I haven't gotten any older since then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.