Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the process of making a map for Divine Right. I've used Inkscape to create the hex grid and another program to color in the hexes/create borders. I'm at the stage where I need to start putting in details like hills/trees/mountains and I'm looking for an easier way of doing this than drawing them one at a time on the map.

Is there a way to create a "stamp" in Inkscape that I could use to place the items on my map? I've done some searching but the tutorials are either not for the Windows version I have or not what I need to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a reason a simple Group/Copy/Paste wouldn't work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i do not know inkscape, but are there no custom brushes like in photoshop?

did you hear about camapign cartographer? was very good to creater maps for rpg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be able to find trees and hills that work for you on http://www.openclipart.org/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Woodard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you should be able to do this, but you'll need to do some work on them.

It's obvious that you know how to use the program to create grids, that's a good start.

Did you know you could do everything in inkscape? The coloring, borders, etc. can all be done there and when you print it out, it will look far better than a standard graphics program due to the vector-based graphics it uses. Smoother lines, less jaggies, etc.

As for a "stamp" I would suggest this:

Off the page that your graphics occupy (to the left or right, it doesn't really matter) and on a separate layer, import the clip art you wish to use for your terrain/map features.

Select a clip art and go to path: Trace bitmap (I think that's the option). Leave everything at default and click OK. Close the dialog and move the vector graphic off of the clip art.

You should have a pretty good vector representation of the item (and can remove the original clip art from the project).

All you have to do is use the path tool to tweak the shape if needed, the line tool to create the outlines of the coloring you want, grouping to group that all together, then copy & paste that where you want on your map.

Suggestion: For copses of trees, I would use just the tree canopy instead of the entire tree for the majority of the tree groups. Use the full tree for the edges that are visible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

After playing a bit with Inkscape...I'm not understanding it. I can't find basic copy/paste functionality and there doesn't seem to be a way to cut a chunk out of a picture, clean it up, and then put it into another picture. I'm not a graphic artist...and don't have a ton of time to spend getting into the depths of this program.

Are there any decent tutorials that cover more than how to draw? Also, are there any other programs that are free and are a bit simpler to use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched the videos on LearnDigitalDesign and found them very helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfury wrote:
I can't find basic copy/paste functionality and there doesn't seem to be a way to cut a chunk out of a picture, clean it up, and then put it into another picture.

Basic copy and paste is on the toolbar, here:

- those three buttons are copy, cut and paste respectively. If you can't see them, make sure the menu item View->Show/Hide->Commands Bar is checked. You can also use the 'Ctrl-C' (copy), 'Ctrl-X' (cut) and 'Ctrl-V' (paste) keyboard shortcuts.

But bear in mind, Inkscape is a vector program, not a bitmap editing program. This means that it deals in terms of geometry ("here's a curve between point X and point Y, and a triangle made up of points A, B and C") rather than pixels ("this dot is red, this next dot is red, this dot here is white, this dot..."), so a lot of the things most people are used to in pixel editing (e.g. with Photoshop) just aren't applicable in something like Inkscape.

If you want to crop a bitmap image, maybe you've loaded a JPG or something into Inkscape, then you can draw a shape (using the shape tools, or a joined-up path with one of the "draw... lines" tools) over the top of your bitmap which covers exactly the area you want to keep, then select both your new shape and also the bitmap and choose the menu item Object->Clip->Set, which will crop the image to the shape that you supplied. But I'm not sure how one would go about 'cleaning up' that image in Inkscape; it's probably best to do that kind of thing in a bitmap editor first and then import into Inkscape pre-cleaned.

Starfury wrote:
Also, are there any other programs that are free and are a bit simpler to use?

If you're used to something like Photoshop but don't have the money for it - or you're OK with MS Paint and want something more powerful - you might try Paint.NET, which is a bitmap (raster) image editor. A lot of people swear by the GIMP, for that matter, although personally I've always found it difficult to use.

Inkscape's about as simple as vector editors come, though, I'm afraid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info...Now I'm understanding why graphic design isn't that easy. I think I can do what I need; the text on the tokens (was going to do round but may go to square will be hard. I see a lot of test prints in my future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding stamps, there is a new "spray" tool in the latest version of Inkscape (0.48, released a few weeks ago). That might be useful to spray clones of trees on the map, or something like that. I haven't tried it myself yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
Regarding stamps, there is a new "spray" tool in the latest version of Inkscape (0.48, released a few weeks ago). That might be useful to spray clones of trees on the map, or something like that. I haven't tried it myself yet.
Ah! wow I only have 0.47 installed. Off to get the latest update!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
pelni wrote:
Ah! wow I only have 0.47 installed. Off to get the latest update!

I think this is exactly what I need..I can spray the terrain features on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.