Popular Tags: [View All]
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm relatively new to wargaming and have only dabbled in light stuff - Memoir, CC:A, Battlelore, Hold the Line and Napoleon 100 days. Can anyone suggest a good WWI game that is light to medium, can be played solitaire (even playing both sides) and gives a good scope of the conflict (or is expandable)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
World War I. This sounds like just what your looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The First World War

Bluffing is crucial, and while the board represents the European map, the movement of troops is pretty abstracted. The game doesn´t receive much love on BGG, nut is very underrated in my opinion. Just don´t expect a simulation but light to medium fits the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you interested in tactical battles, or would you be interested in something covering a campaign or the whole war?

Avalanche Press has just released a new series of tactical battles, called "Infantry Attacks" based on the "Panzer Grenadier" WWII rules. The rules are online if you want to look at them. http://avalanchepress.com/line_InfantryAttacks.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First World War looks like it might fit the bill. Can you play it solo (or play both sides)?

Red Poppies might be an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
First World War looks like it might fit the bill. Can you play it solo (or play both sides)?

Red Poppies might be an option.

Solo won't go, because of the bluffing aspect (you place dummy counters among the stacks of armies, thus creating an impressing pile whose strength is slightly above zero...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...maybe Red Poppies or Trenchzone will work. Thanks for the input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Kehoe
United Kingdom
St Clement
Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Trenchzone is ideal, however solo maybe difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Trenchzone - is solo difficult because of a bluffing element or is like Memoir 44 where you are managing hands for both sides. I am pretty good at playing Memoir 44 solo and Worthington games. I just play both sides honestly - can this be done with Trenchzone?

BTW, your game looks great! Only available through the UK website, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.