Popular Tags: [View All]
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am on the fence about buying this game. I watched the video at Tric Trac and those guys seemed to have fun with it ( don't speak French though).

After reading the rules, this seemed to me like a simple rules game. So, what I am asking:

Is the decision-making in this game interesting enough to bring it back to the table after a few plays?

Is there tension?

Do you feel like you can plan something or do you roll with the waves, making obvious moves?

In other words, where does the fun lie in Intrigo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to answer my own question for anyone who might find it useful in the future.

I 've bought the game and played it four times now, three of them with 4 players.

I prefer the full 4-player game. The absence of a player in the 3-player game makes it simpler/easier and less interesting.

There is a lot of depth and strategy here but it is really, really subtle. I have only scratched the surface so far. In that aspect it reminds me of Chicago Express where anyone can understand the rules and play in 5 minutes, but to really grasp the game and play it well will take some time.

There is a lot of tension especially towards the end when everyone tries to keep the others from winning. A minor issue here can be that a player not focused enough can be an unwilling kingmaker since everyone will have almost equal shots at winning.

Make no mistake, this is not a light filler. It is a little brainburner and a great game for competitive players. It is one of those game where you will want to discuss the moves made when it ends and set up for another right after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for coming back and letting us know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicago Express happens to be one of my favorite games! I'll have to check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.