United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://itunes.apple.com/app/zimp/id389084186?uo=4&mt=8&at=10...

After quite a bit of time, and a lot of work, I want to let everyone know that the iPhone/iPod version of ZimP has arrived. I hope you enjoy it, and let me know what you think.

$1.99 at the iTunes store.

Thanks to Josh, my friend and programmer, and to everyone else involved in ZimP. That includes you guys, the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

ZimP was never much about showing the zombies, for a couple of reasons that I've never actually put down on paper (or forum, as the case may be).

1. I've found people have different favorite zombie images. If given the freedom, people will draw up their favorite zombies in their heads.

2. It's a zombie game, but it's not so much about the gore of the zombies as it is the thrill of racing the clock.

That said, there are some images of zombies in the ZimP for iPhone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
This'll be on my phone by the end of the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey O'Brien
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
...easy ...easy ...eeesay...
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought. Died twice already. Going back for more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
hob69 wrote:
Bought. Died twice already. Going back for more...
Same here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That is not Depeche but rather
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now release it for Android. ninja

Please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Progmode wrote:
Now release it for Android. ninja

Please?
I want this to happen. I'm pretty sure it will, it's just a matter of finding the right developer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbehren wrote:
Hi All - Josh here, the guy that made the iPhone version.

A few quick things:
First: Keep the comments and feedback coming. I appreciate candid reviews, as this is my first commercial/paid iPhone application. Also, if you enjoy the game be sure to rate it on the App Store

Second: There is an undocumented feature - you can swipe the tile to rotate it (as long as you have iOS 4.0 or newer). I'm hoping to integrate this into all versions in the future.

Third: Map overview. I'm working on this one. It's a tad more difficult to pull off than I had imagined, based on the game engine and my level of knowledge of the iPhone platform. Hopefully soon

Fourth: Thanks for the input on the search terms. I will see what I can do there.

Finally: Droid. I'm working on getting up to speed on the Android platform, and hope to be able to release it there in the not-too-distant future.

Thanks,
Josh

My personal email is josh@behrenbrinker.com and I welcome all bug reports and feature requests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Pack
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
@philomars

this is a faithful rendition of the print and play version... play that first, then judge this recreation of the game. [EDIT: i tried the pc version first instead of printing it out... http://pimaster3.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6]

there is no dice, it's all stat based... and works great like that. you can kill 1 zombie with bare hands, rest count against as a hit point. weapons add ability to kill more zombies and take less damage. running away you always take 1 damage, unless you have an oil can (make a slick) to drop.

the tile rotation is confusing, but mostly because you can't see the rest of the connecting map. This is the main part that I think needs work, and the app programmer said he would look in to this soon.

Also, as I previously suggested in the other thread, actually seeing the event card drawn (instead of just saying the direct outcome) could give it a more authentic (board game like) feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have always wanted to try this game so I am downloading it now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really awesome. I never thought I'd have ZiMP stand for Zombie in My Phone!

That said, here are a few bug reports from having just downloaded and played the game once (please note that my only exposure to ZiMP is the CGF version, which seems different in some key ways):

BUGS

The can of soda boosted my health past 6. That isn't possible in the CGF version of the game.

The graveyard inquires about whether you are ready to bury the evil totem. If you select "not yet" and cower to heal before burying it, the option to bury it is no longer there. You have to leave and come back (taking a significant amount of time).

I actually broke the game in the graveyard, because I got there fast, tried to cower before burying the totem, it didn't let me bury it after cowering, so I left and returned, but got damaged further in the process, so I cowered again, then drank my soda, and the game no longer gave me the option to bury the totem OR leave the graveyard, even though I still had time on the clock.

There are not automatic opportunities found in the CGF version of the game in the kitchen and garden to cower for extra health, or to search for items in the garage. Is that just a difference between the games?

I notice that there is no evil etchings that must be discovered. I assume that is not a bug but just a game difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me amend my bug report:

In the second game, it did heal me 1 point automatically in the kitchen (rather than letting me gain extra health when I cowered there), but it:

(1) boosted me past 6 again, and it (2) broke when I got into an encounter there, because the damage from the combat was ignored when the extra 1 health was applied.

The game is really cool, but it is quite buggy at this stage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions. I'll try to respond to some things:

Health in the solo version (1.5) can go above 6.
The kitchen and the garden give a +1 health for ending your turn there, unlike the 1-8 player CGF version. The evil etchings are only in the CGF version as well.

--

True, there's no dice, and there won't be, as it is a replication of the board game in which there are no dice. The formula for battle (zombies-attack score=damage to you) is in the help notes, and once you get used to it, it's easy to decide if it's worth running or not.

I agree that the ability to rotate just-added tiles would be more useful if we could see the full map. Josh is working on that.

--

Thanks all. It's exciting to see this come together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for replying, Jeremiah. It sounds like most of my issues were related to differences between the CGF and regular solo versions of the game.

I guess the only issues that really need to be addressed then, are:

1. The garage does not give an extra item search opportunity like the storage room does.

2. Finding the totem or burying it is not available as an option after doing something else at the location first (drinking a soda, cowering, etc.)

3. It seems like there are some minor instability issues (I had the game crash and close mid-game once, and had it give me no options to bury or leave the graveyard once, and it seems like it calculated the damage incorrectly once).

4. I think even a few simplistic sound effects would be huge for increasing the immersion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Behrenbrinker
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
To reply to Ben Stanley:
1) The version of rules I have do not specify that the Garage is an "extra item" tile.

2) "Cowering" is only available at the end of the turn. Hence, you already gave up the chance to resolve a card and find the totem. At least, that was my interpretation. The instructions state that a turn sequence begins by choosing an exit door, which is why you currently have to leave the tile and come back for another chance to find or bury the totem. Again, this was my interpretation and I'll leave it up to Jeremiah to make the decision there.

3) Yes. I'm still trying to figure out the random crash bug. I've seen it only when suspending the game and coming back at a much later time, and it hasn't been easy to replicate. As for damage being calculated incorrectly - if you're on a "bonus health" tile, you won't see the combat damage applied with the red "-3" marker, only the green +1 because it was the most recent health change. I did a lot of testing around that, and it always calculated it correctly for me (just without a good visual cue that damage was subtracted, then added).

4) Still trying to find some royalty-free sounds. I really want a chainsaw.

Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Behrenbrinker
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Update just pushed to Apple. Hits the store in < 10 days usually.

Changes:
-Fixed the "stuck on graveyard" bug (happens when you click "no" to bury totem)
-Hopefully fixed the crash bug when running with a different region code. I tested multiple regions, and I haven't seen it come back.
-Added an overview map. It's not accessible when you're in a zombie battle, or at the item screen. Let me know if that's problematic.
-Added some gameplay sounds. Whee. The battle/death sounds make me giggle. But let me know if it's too much.

Not changed:
-I didn't add the dev card screen or the adjacent tile edges. I toyed with showing the edges, but it brought out some really annoying UI glitches that I didn't have time to work on today. Plus, the overview map should be a big jump in the right direction.
-Rules: I didn't change any of the existing rules.
-Random Crash: Still trying to track this down so I can recreate it successfully. If you encounter it, please send me as much detail as you can remember!
Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working with both rulesets a lot recently, so it's hard for me to keep in mind the right one all the time. The iPhone game is a direct port of the PnP version of the game.

The PnP garage isn't searchable (the CGF version is).

The cower-before-burying thing is trickier. I've always played it where you could cower in between the first dev card and the burying (second) dev card, but upon re-reading the rules, it certainly seems like you shouldn't be able to.

However, that doesn't make sense in a logical way. Would you have to leave the room and come back, just because you hid in a corner for a while? Nope. So, officially, you can cower in between those two cards. You can't cower twice in a room, as per the rules stating that after you resolve a card you can cower (you haven't resolved a card after you cower the first time, you've discarded).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Thanks for the updates and the official ruling on burying the totem after cowering (and I assume the same thing for finding the totem in the first place). Like you, Jeremiah, I had just been playing kind of casually and intuitively, that you ought to be able to cower and then search/bury the totem. Glad to see you agree. And very good to know about the differences between the CGF and regular ZiMP games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to check it out, and to let us know your thoughts about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Pack
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds great. Looking forward to getting the update. Thanks for implementing our ideas so quickly. Look forward to the future updates to make this a top notch app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Behrenbrinker
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
The people demanded it, so they got it:
I just pushed an updated update (derp!) to iTunes.

Added (in addition to the previous updates - region fix + sounds + overview map):
Dev card display (woohoo!) I removed the alternate notifications so as not to double up on information. At the beginning of your turn, a dev card is displayed, along with the time. Just click to dismiss it, and then the action is applied (battle/item/health change). If you do something that requires *resolving* another card, you'll see that one too. For ITEMS, you won't see the card containing the item - just the item that was on the card you used for it.

Ability to cower prior to find item/find totem/bury totem. This was done by adding a button (magnifying glass) to the tiles with "extra stuff". Click that, and it will provide the opportunity to do what needs to be done. Upside: More interactive. You might forget and have to spend time going back to that tile.

Obviously, it's just me testing right now, so some bugs may have gotten past. I'll play it tons this week and if I run into any major issues, I will fix them and push a new update. Unfortunately, this also resets the 7-10 day waiting period before Apple will release it on the App store. So I'm hoping I got everything. Hopefully soon, though!

Cheers
Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Pack
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Huge thumbs up Josh! Really looking forward getting this update. Thanks again for listing to us, we all really appreciate it. This is going to be a great rendition of Zombies in my Pocket. I'll be waiting for this coming update... then will easily submit a 5 star review on itunes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Josh, these sound great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Behrenbrinker
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Some preview pics:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.