Popular Tags: [View All]
terry cheung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Can I retreat my excess units after I won an invasion battle?

2) If there is only 1 friendly area adjacent to me, and it already contains 8 units, can I choose to retreat to an empty area instead?

thanks for help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
cnnterry wrote:

Yes, if you are the ATTACKER and win the battle, you can (in fact must) retreat excess units. You can only retreat EXCESS units though; if you have 8 or less, you can't retreat any.

Quote:
2) If there is only 1 friendly area adjacent to me, and it already contains 8 units, can I choose to retreat to an empty area instead?

No. You MUST retreat to a friendly area if there is one, even if it would result in you losing units. The only time you can retreat to an empty area is if there are no friendly areas adjacent to the battle.

In your example, you'd have to retreat the excess units to the already-full area, and then reduce down to 8. (However, you could choose to destroy units that were already there; they don't have to be units that were just retreated)

Be careful when overstacking in a battle; it certainly can help with making sure you win the battle, but if you go overboard or don't plan well, it can bite you in the end because you may end up losing excess units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
terry cheung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
cnnterry wrote:

Yes, if you are the ATTACKER and win the battle, you can (in fact must) retreat excess units. You can only retreat EXCESS units though; if you have 8 or less, you can't retreat any.

Really? I thought you lost anything over 8 at the end of the battle? Don't have my copy of the rules/FAQ available to me right now....
Thanks though!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
cnnterry wrote:

Really? I thought you lost anything over 8 at the end of the battle? Don't have my copy of the rules/FAQ available to me right now....
Thanks though!!

The rules specifically allow the attacker (and only the attacker) to retreat excess units after a battle. However, they must all retreat to a single area, and it cannot be to an empty area unless there are NO friendly areas adjacent. So you have to be careful how you set them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
terry cheung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
from the rule book: "These units must always retreat to an adjacent friendly area. If there are no adjacent friendly areas to retreat to, they may retreat to an adjacent empty area. If there is still nowhere to retreat to, they are destroyed."

An interesting question -- if I had to retreat to an area containing 8 units already, what is the difference between this "retreat" and "being destroyed"?wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
terry cheung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the advantage is that I can choose which units to stay, which to dismiss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cnnterry wrote:
Maybe the advantage is that I can choose which units to stay, which to dismiss.

That is indeed the advantage; if you retreat to an already-full area, you could choose to keep some of the retreating units and destroy units that were already there.

For instance, if you have a Dragon and Giant retreating into the area, you could choose to destroy two lowly Bowmen instead. The Dragon and Giant will be routed, of course, but they could still survive to fight another day.

That being said, though, I think once a player gets practice with the combat mechanics of the game, I've found that such situations don't happen too often; you learn how to position your units so that when you do retreat you don't lose as many That's part of the "resource management" aspect, even on the battle portion of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb
Allowing the attacker to overstack and retreat becomes a huge part of war planning.

Losing units isnt always that bad, in a war of attrition it can be worth sending a horde that you expect to lose several units from to claim (and then defend) a critical point. Losing cheap units that have nowhere to go usually only happens when you are close to your unit limit anyway.

The way the rules work means that the game doesnt get bogged down in trench warfare, rather warfare turns into a series of attacks and counter attacks. No fort will ever be invincible and even the greatest victory can lead to a reversal if a faction over extends itself.

Also becouse of the rules territory thats otherwise worthless can be extremly valuable as a support region for attacks (a place for units to come from and retreat to).

I´m liking this system alot and I find it important to explain the consequences of how it works to new players as soon as the first year (so far only with a test game with my girlfreind but soon with 4 players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has there ever been an official ruling on the friendly vs empty area of retreat issue, in the case that the friendly area would have too many units?

I see how one reading of the rules suggests that one has to retreat to a friendly area if there is one, even if it leads to the destruction of troops. But an different reading might suggest that to be illegal... And therefore that the next option applies (moving to an empty area).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
Has there ever been an official ruling on the friendly vs empty area of retreat issue, in the case that the friendly area would have too many units?

Yes, you MUST retreat to a friendly area if there is one, even if it would put you over the limit. There is a Q&A to that effect in the "Rulings from Corey" document I've compiled - all the answers in there have come from responses from the designer directly, so while it may not be an "official" document, I think the rulings therein are about as official as you can get outside an FFG-published FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.