DungeonQuest (third edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Why no power cards used in solo combat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fivepast
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like the most interesting part of the combat gets ditched in the solo game, which is a shame. Is there a good reason why the power cards aren't used?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably due to the "pick the top card" nature of the monster deck; if only one side has it, it may not be completely fair.

I've thought about doing a variant, though, where you draw one, and then build a deck of 5 cards for the monster. You shuffle it each round, but still draw the top. The power card would be in the mix. For counterattacks, you simply reveal whatever's left and play the appropriate cards, but then discard all of them and replenish the hand (so that the player doesn't get the advantage of knowing what's in the other hand).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the way the solo rules stand, all monsters are the same: same cards and no individuality with their power cards.

Simple house rule modification:

- Before combat, split the combat deck roughly in 2 parts. A monster deck and a player deck.
- Add all the monster's power cards into his deck; shuffle the deck.
- Shuffle your deck.
You play as usual only with your deck. If it runs out, you reshuffle it.
The monster plays as usual only with its deck. If it runs out, reshuffle it.

This way, the monster although picking the top card without chosing may benefit from more power cards than you. And the monsters will be now different as it should be.

Owll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Marti
Switzerland
Riedholz
Solothurn
flag msg tools
Super Trooper, I said!
badge
Waaagh
mbmbmbmbmb
owll wrote:
Well the way the solo rules stand, all monsters are the same: same cards and no individuality with their power cards.

Simple house rule modification:

- Before combat, split the combat deck roughly in 2 parts. A monster deck and a player deck.
- Add all the monster's power cards into his deck; shuffle the deck.
- Shuffle your deck.
You play as usual only with your deck. If it runs out, you reshuffle it.
The monster plays as usual only with its deck. If it runs out, reshuffle it.

This way, the monster although picking the top card without chosing may benefit from more power cards than you. And the monsters will be now different as it should be.

Owll

But the time needed afterwards to sort out all the specific monster cards, does not really add to the excitement of this game, does it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Alain...but

There are not many combat against monsters in this game. You die sooner...shake
Power cards have a big number(s) at their bottom.

Happy gaming

Owll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D D
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
To level the playing feild. This game does not give you any breaks. The monster does not have a hand of cards during solo. Therefore, integrating a power card in their combat actions isn't possible. So hence the player doesn't use power cards either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lombard
United States
New Carlisle
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is probably a dead topic but i just got the game today and a rule i've been using for solo play is draw 5 cards still for both hero and monster (adding in a random power from that monster's power cards. don't look at the monster's cards and put them in a 5 card stack face down. Instead of drawing from the top of the combat deck for the monster just draw from the 5 card stack. Counterattacking rules for the monster follow the normal solo rules by just using 5 cards from the generic combat deck and not the monster's 5 card stack. New round just add the cards needed to make the monster's stack 5 again. You can shuffle the 5 cards or place the new additions on the bottom of the stack your choice. This has worked very well for my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I played this way last time, too. After some combats, I didn't shuffle the "monster hand" each round, to increase the possibility, that the monster plays its power card. It was really exciting, since I almost play solo and didn't see much of the power cards yet (in action). A completely new combat feeling!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.