Subject: UFC FN 22 / UFC 119 Pick em Contest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
UFC Fight Night 22 is on September 15th and UFC 119 is on September 25th. This is a pick em contest combinging those two UFC events for anyone who's interested.

How to Enter

First, tip this post with 1

Second, send me a geekmail with your pick for the winner of each of the 4 televised fights from UFN 22 (on Spike TV) by Sept. 14th. then send me your pick for the winner of each of the 7 televised bouts from UFC 119 (5 fights on the main card on PPV and 2 preliminary fights on Spike) by Sept. 24th.

Rules

For each of your picks that wins a three round fight you will be awarded points according to the following table:

If your fighter wins by | You will earn

split decision | 1 point
Majority/Unanimous Dec. | 2 points
Third round stoppage | 3 points
Second round stoppage | 4 points
First round stoppage | 5 points

For each of your picks that wins a Championship fight you will be awarded points according to the following table:

If your fighter wins by | You will earn

split decision | 1 point
Majority/Unanimous Dec. | 2 points
Fifth round stoppage | 3 points
Fourth round stoppage | 4 points
Third round stoppage | 5 points
Second round stoppage | 6 points
First round stoppage | 7 points

Draws and no contests earn 0 points

I'll post all the picks in this thread before the main cards starts.

Special Bonus Picks

Making special bonus picks is totally optional. If you would like to keep things simple and just pick winners then skip this section, you won't be penalized because I will assign you the default bonus picks which will award the average expected value for all types of bonus picks (so long as your picks win in the default fights).

However, if you would like to make some more complex picks, then you may select some fights and try to predict how they will end.

Because of the large number of fights on this combined contest you may make THREE special bonus picks. To make a special bonus pick select a fight, pick the winner of that fight, then pick the method of that win from the table below.

Method of Fight End Abbreviation Bonus Points

Submission SUB 4
Technical Knock Out TKO 3
Decision DEC 2.5
Any stoppage (SUB, TKO) ANY STOP 1.5
Any end (SUB, TKO, DEC) ANY END 1

For example, in UFC 118 Couture defeated Toney by submission. Had you submitted the pick Couture by SUB, then you would have earned an extra 4 points for that fight. Had you picked Couture by ANY STOP, then you would have earned an extra 1.5 points. Similarly, Couture by ANY END would have been worth 1 point. COUTURE by TKO or COUTRE by DEC would have been worth zero bonus points (of course you would still get the normal points for correctly picking the winner). Had you picked Toney by any bonus method, then you would not have gotten any bonus points (because Toney lost).

For this contest the default bonus picks are as follows:

Your pick for Serra vs. Lytle by ANY END
Your pick for Nogueira vs. Bader by ANY END
Your pick for Mir vs. Filipovic by ANY END

Each bonus pick you submit will replace on of the default bonus picks starting from the top of the default list.

In all cases the type of end will be determined by the official results posted on UFC.com

Let me know if you have any questions on how bonus picks work.

Awards

Players will be awarded GG according to the following table

Points | Award

First | 50% of the pot
Second | 25% of the pot
Third | 15% of the pot
Fourth | 10% of the pot

The Fights!

UFC Ultimate Fight Night 22, September 15th.

Ross Pearson (11-3)
Wins by: TKO - 2, SUB - 5
Style: Black Belt Taekwondo, Brown Belt Judo, Boxing

VS.

Cole Miller (16-4)
Wins by: TKO - 3, SUB - 11
Style: Brown Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Jim Miller (17-2)
Wins by: TKO - 2, SUB - 10
Style: Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Wresting

VS.

Gleison Tibau (21-6)
Wins by: TKO - 3, SUB - 9
Style: Wrestling, Black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Efrain Escudero (13-1)
Wins by: TKO - 1, SUB - 9
Style: Wresting, Kickboxing, Grappling

VS.

Charles Oliveira (13-0)
Wins by: TKO - 6, SUB - 6
Style: Brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Nate Marquardt (29-9)
Wins by: TKO - 7, SUB - 15
Style: 2nd degree Black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Gaidojitsu, Boxing, Kickboxing

VS.

Rousimar Palhares (11-2)
Wins by: TKO - 1, SUB - 8
Style: Black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

UFC 119 Preliminaries, September 25th

Matt Mitrione (2-0)
Wins by: TKO - 2
Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kickboxing

VS.

Joey Beltran (12-3)
Wins by: TKO - 10, SUB - 1
Style: Blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Boxing, Wrestling

C.B. Dollaway (10-2)
Wins by: TKO - 5, SUB - 2
Style: Wrestling

VS.

Joe Doerksen (46 - 12)
Wins by: TKO - 6, SUB - 33
Sytle: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

UFC 119 Main Card, September 25th

Melvin Guillard (24-8)
Wins by: TKO - 14, SUB - 3
Style: Blue belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Brown belt Judo, Kickboxing, Wrestling

VS.

Jeremy Stephens (18-5)
Wins by: TKO - 13, SUB - 3
Style: Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Boxing

Sean Sherk (33-4)
Wins by: TKO - 10, SUB - 12
Style: Wrestling, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Boxing

VS.

Evan Dunham (11-0)
Wins by: TKO - 2, SUB - 6
Style: Black belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Wrestling

Matt Serra (11-6)
Wins by: TKO - 2, SUB - 4
Style: 2nd degree black belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Boxing

VS.

Chris Lytle (29-17)
Wins by: TKO - 4, SUB - 19
Style: black belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Boxing, Wrestling

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (19-3)
Wins by: TKO - 5, SUB - 6
Style: black belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Boxing

VS.

Ryan Bader (11-0)
Wins by: TKO - 5, SUB - 3
Style: Wrestling, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Boxing

Frank Mir (13-5)
Wins by: TKO - 2, SUB - 8
Style: black belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, black belt Kenop Karate, Muay Thai, Boxing

VS.

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (27-7)
Wins by: TKO - 20, SUB - 4
Style: Taekwondo, Boxing

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, I forgot to email my spreadsheet to my work address, so I can't post the picks right now. And I might have to work late, so I'm not sure when I can get home and post them. I'll try to get the picks for UFN22 up as soon as possible.

If I recall I received 13 picks, that's down from 19 for UFC118, but hopefully we are converging on a stable number. 13 is definitely enough to continue these contests with.

Oh, and there will be no problem with ties this time devil

I'm still accepting picks, all the way up until the fights start.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PICS FOR UFN 22

Miller (8) vs. Pearson (5)
1 pick Miller by SUB
1 pick Pearson by TKO

Miller (7) vs. Tibau (6)

Escudero (8) vs. Oliveira (5)
1 pick Escudero by SUB

Marquardt (12) vs. Palhares (1)
1 pick Marquardt by DEC
1 pick Marquardt by TKO
1 pick Palhares by SUB

mdp4828 Pearson Tibau Escudero Marquardt by DEC
Foltrknecht Pearson Tibau Escudero Marquardt
Klydefrog Pearson Tibau Oliveira Marquardt
kzman13 Pearson by TKO Tibau Escudero by SUB Marquardt
relic10 Miller Miller Oliviera Marquardt
out4blood Miller by SUB Miller Escudero Marquardt by TKO
dysjunct Miller Miller Escudero Palhares by SUB
metalchorus Miller Miller Escudero Marquardt
Zopper-Alf Miller Miller Oliveira Marquardt
Swedelad Miller Tibau Oliveira Marquardt
bolter Pearson Miller Oliveira Marquardt
nwright Miller Tibau Escudero Marquardt
Angry Duck Miller Miller Escudero Marquardt

I will try to post results as they come in. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Result Points Ending

Miller def. Pearson 4 SUB

Wow, what a fight! Pearson is bad ass and I would not want stand with that guy. But Miller took him out in dramatic fashion. Very promising start to the night!

out4blood 8
relic10 4
dysjunct 4
metalchorus 4
Zopper-Alf 4
Swedelad 4
nwright 4
Angry Duck 4
mdp4828 0
Foltrknecht 0
Klydefrog 0
kzman13 0
bolter 0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Result Points Ending

Miller def. Tibau 2 DEC

Man, I am not picking well so far

out4blood 10
relic10 6
dysjunct 6
metalchorus 6
Zopper-Alf 6
Angry Duck 6
Swedelad 4
nwright 4
bolter 2
mdp4828 0
Foltrknecht 0
Klydefrog 0
kzman13 0

[/q]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa, Escudero didn't make weight. I don't have a rule for that so this fight will score normally. But I'm thinking in future contests that may need to be -1 point if a fighter wins but doesn't make weight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Only -1?! Size and weight are such a huge factor that I'd say:

- If you pick the guy who fails to make weight, and he wins, you get a 50% penalty to points.
- If you pick the other guy (who actually made weight), and he wins, you get a 50% point bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Result Points Ending

Miller def. Tibau 2 DEC
Oliveira def. Escudero 3 SUB

I had never seen Oliveira fight before and man he is fast! But somehow Escudero didn't seem to have his heart in it. He didn't make weight, and honestly, he looked almost flabby. Not cut at all like they usually are in that weight class. Plus Escudero was slow, predictable, and didn't show any kill instinct when he did have an advantage. Oliveira looked pretty good, but it looked to me like Escudero just didn't want it. Which is weird becuase he had been so tough in the past.

out4blood 10
Zopper-Alf 9
Swedelad 7
relic10 6
dysjunct 6
metalchorus 6
Angry Duck 6
bolter 5
nwright 4
Klydefrog 3
mdp4828 0
Foltrknecht 0
kzman13 0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Result Points Ending

Miller def. Tibau 2 DEC
Marquardt def. Palhares 5 TKO

Palhares was going for a heal hook and Marquardt popped out. Palhares actually stopped fighting for a second to complain to the ref about Marquardt being greased up, and that's when Marquardt TKO'ed him. I don't know what to make of that, I guess we'll see if anything comes of it.

Anyway, at least I got some points, but out4blood is running away with it. Remember to get your UFC 119 picks in if you haven't already. Good luck with UFC 119, I know I'll need it.

out4blood 18
Zopper-Alf 14
Swedelad 12
relic10 11
metalchorus 11
Angry Duck 11
bolter 10
nwright 9
Klydefrog 8
dysjunct 6
mdp4828 5
Foltrknecht 5
kzman13 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correction to relic10. Everyone should check their scores and make sure there are no mistakes.

out4blood 18
Zopper-Alf 14
relic10 14
Swedelad 12
metalchorus 11
Angry Duck 11
bolter 10
nwright 9
Klydefrog 8
dysjunct 6
mdp4828 5
Foltrknecht 5
kzman13 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
Whoa, Escudero didn't make weight. I don't have a rule for that so this fight will score normally. But I'm thinking in future contests that may need to be -1 point if a fighter wins but doesn't make weight.

I was very disappointed in Escudero, both in how he fought and in not making weight. I think the weight cut took a lot out of him. It looked like he gassed a bit in round 2. But I must admit that I had totally forgotten about Oliveira. Last time I saw him fight I was very impressed, and when he came out last night I instantly recognized him and regretted picking Escudero. cry

I might have a big lead for now, but I used up 2 of my 3 specials. Fortunately, I hit on both of them. Cole Miller is a sub-machine, and Nate likes to pound out those BJJ guys. War Nate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a cool "gameboard" someone at Sherdog made to track the results.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/3026/ufc119gameboard.png
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw this come across the news. Escudero was cut by the UFC. That wouldn't be surprising for most fighters after a lackluster fight where they didn't make weight, but it's a little surprising for a TUF winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not surprising, since his last fights have both been lackluster and Dana hates guys who can't make weight. Biggest bad news for me was Chael Sonnen testing positive. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PICKS FOR UFC 119

Mitrione (7) vs. Beltran (6)
1 pick Beltran by ANY TKO
1 pick Beltran by ANY END

Doerksen (8) vs. Dollaway (5)
3 picks Doerksen by SUB

Guillard (7) vs. Stephens(6)

Dunham (8) vs. Sherk (5)
1 pick Sherk by ANY END
1 pick Sherk by DEC

Lytle (9) vs. Serra (4)
6 picks Lytle by ANY END
3 picks Serra by ANY END

Nogueira (8) vs. Bader (5)
5 picks Nogueira by ANY END
2 picks Bader by ANY END

Filipovic (7) vs. Mir (6)
3 picks Mir by ANY END
2 picks Mir by SUB
1 pick Mir by ANY STOP
4 picks Filipovic by ANY END

mdp4828 Beltran by TKO Doerksen by SUB Stephens Sherk Serra Bader Filipovic
Foltrknecht Mitrione Doerksen Stephens Dunham Lytle by ANY END Nogueira by ANY END Filipovic by ANY END
Klydefrog Beltran Doerksen by SUB Guillard Sherk by ANY END Lytle Nogueira Mir by ANY STOP
kzman13 Mitrione Doerksen Stephens Sherk Lytle Bader Mir by SUB
relic10 Beltran Doerksen Guillard Dunham Lytle by ANY END Bader by ANY END Mir by ANY END
out4blood Mitrione Dollayway Guillard Dunham Lytle Bader Mir by SUB
dysjunct Beltran Doerksen Guillard Sherk by DEC Lytle by ANY END Nogueira Filipovic
metalchorus Mitrione Doerksen Guillard Dunham Lytle by ANY END Nogueira by ANY END Filipovic by ANY END
Zopper-Alf Mitrione Dollaway Guillard Dunham Lytle by ANY END Bader by ANY END Mir by ANY END
Swedelad Beltran by ANY END Doerksen by SUB Guillard Dunham Lytle by ANY END Nogueira Filipovic
bolter Beltran Dollaway Stephens Sherk Serra by ANY END Nogueira by ANY END Filipovic by ANY END
nwright Mitrione Dollaway Stephens Dunham Serra by ANY END Nogueira by ANY END Filipovic by ANY END
Angry Duck Mitrione Dollaway Stephens Dunham Serra by ANY END Nogueira by ANY END Mir by ANY END

If I hear from bolter before the fights start I'll add his picks. Good luck all.

Edit: Got picks in from bolter, but he's still missing two fights.

Edit: bolter got all his picks in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I picked the underdog in 5 out of 7.

Well, I'll either make a spectacular come back or flame out hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, fights are all over. I'll go through them one at a time.

Result Points Ending

Miller def. Tibau 2 DEC
Mitrione def. Beltran 2 DEC

Gotta hand it to Mitrione. MUCH improved over his TUF days and even since his last fight. I didn't think he'd fought anybody yet and hadn't showed much against the pushovers he had fought. But he looked like a real MMA fighter today.

out4blood 20
Zopper-Alf 16
relic10 14
metalchorus 13
Angry Duck 13
Swedelad 12
nwright 11
bolter 10
Klydefrog 8
Foltrknecht 7
kzman13 7
dysjunct 6
mdp4828 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Result Points Ending

Miller def. Tibau 2 DEC
Dollaway def. Doerkson 5 SUB

Dollaway looked MUCH bigger than I remember him. Doerkson thought he'd have an advantage on the ground and tried to take it down but Dollaway controlled.

Zopper-Alf 21
out4blood 20
Angry Duck 18
nwright 16
bolter 15
relic10 14
metalchorus 13
Swedelad 12
Klydefrog 8
Foltrknecht 7
kzman13 7
dysjunct 6
mdp4828 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Result Points Ending

Miller def. Tibau 2 DEC
Guillard def. Stephens 1 DEC

I don't know. Maybe it was bias, but I thought Stephens won. It was close enough to not complain though.

Zopper-Alf 22
out4blood 21
Angry Duck 18
nwright 16
bolter 15
relic10 15
metalchorus 14
Swedelad 13
Klydefrog 9
Foltrknecht 7
kzman13 7
dysjunct 7
mdp4828 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Result Points Ending

Miller def. Tibau 2 DEC
Sherk def. Dunham 1 DEC

Another one I thought should have gone the other way. One of the worst cuts I've seen on Dunham though.

Zopper-Alf 22
out4blood 21
Angry Duck 18
nwright 16
bolter 16
relic10 15
metalchorus 14
Swedelad 13
Klydefrog 11
dysjunct 10.5
kzman13 8
Foltrknecht 7
mdp4828 6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Result Points Ending

Miller def. Tibau 2 DEC
Sherk def. Dunham 1 DEC
Lytle def. Serra 2 DEC

Why Serra stood there an boxed for three rounds I don't know.

Zopper-Alf 25
out4blood 23
Angry Duck 18
relic10 18
metalchorus 17
nwright 16
bolter 16
Swedelad 16
dysjunct 13.5
Klydefrog 13
kzman13 10
Foltrknecht 10
mdp4828 6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Result Points Ending

Miller def. Tibau 2 DEC
Sherk def. Dunham 1 DEC
Lytle def. Serra 2 DEC
Bader der. Nogueira 2 DEC

Bader looked good, then gassed, but held on.

Zopper-Alf 28
out4blood 25
relic10 21
Angry Duck 18
metalchorus 17
nwright 16
bolter 16
Swedelad 16
dysjunct 13.5
Klydefrog 13
kzman13 12
Foltrknecht 10
mdp4828 8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="mdp4828"]
Result Points Ending

Miller def. Tibau 2 DEC
Sherk def. Dunham 1 DEC
Lytle def. Serra 2 DEC
Bader def. Nogueira 2 DEC
Mir def. Filipovic 3 TKO

Stick a fork in Cro Cop cause he's done. No aggression, no movement, no combinations, no kicks. Severely under weight and under roided for the HW division. He's just a journeyman if he keeps fighting.

Zopper-Alf 32
out4blood 29
relic10 25
Angry Duck 22
Klydefrog 17.5
metalchorus 17
nwright 16
bolter 16
Swedelad 16
kzman13 16
dysjunct 13.5
Foltrknecht 10
mdp4828 8

Please everybody double check your scores and let me know if there are any mistakes. I'll correct them.

If these results stand then Zopper-Alf gets 7 , out4blood gets 3.5 , relic10 gets 2.1 , and Angry Duck gets 1.4

I'll wait until Monday to pay out.

Thanks all for playing. We'll do it again for UFC 120 so stay tuned...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woot, woot - here we go

Btw: Dunham should've gotten the DEC.

Thanks for organizing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My score is wrong. I should have gotten 5 points for Dollaway. I should have 33 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.