Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question but I figured I'd ask anyway...

I had four rooms in my house and three dudes. My first play was to Family Growth w/o Space. As a second play, can I use Family Growth.

My thought was no (which is how I played it) because at the end of the turn, I will have four dudes in my house; however, at the time I play my second dude there is still room in the house so I wasn't sure.

In essence the question is does life begin at conception or birth?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
If you had done it the other way around, you would have been all right.

I'm pretty sure once you have the room, you've got to put the new arrival there.

When you took FG/wo, you had four family members and four rooms at that point. Taking FG later would have given you five family members with only four rooms, since everything is collected at the moment you take the action space.

I always stand to be corrected by more experienced players.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugur Dönmez
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off all, it would be difficult to have ANY type of Family Growth with just three 'dudes'

But you played it correctly. As soon as you take the first Family Growth action, you have a fourth dude that will take up the fourth room, so you can't do the regular Family Growth action afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
In essence the question is does life begin at conception or birth?

I'm not touching that question with a 10 foot pole. But the baby's room is decorated immediately after conception.

You can't take FG without room and then standard FG unless you have room for 2 newborns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's this whole birth vs conception question?

Family growth is "birth"... conception comes before birth. At the end of the round you bring your bundle home to his new room.
shake

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Flynn
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You played correctly (except maybe the all "dudes" part). Once you take the Family Growth w/o Room, you immediately have 4 family members. Thus, even though one hasn't technically been brought home yet, each room in the house is "occupied" so you cannont do a regular Family Growth afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking that Jimmy's analogy is that conception occurs once Family Growth is taken (i.e. "Mama" is carrying her little bundle of joy and eventual backbreaking indentured servitude) and that birth doesn't occur until the returning home phase. Thus, the question.

Personally, I gave up on that aspect of the theme a while ago, and prefer to think of new workers as just that: new workers, hired hands, etc. Given how quickly they integrate into the work force, I find it more thematically satisfying, despite the joke potential otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:

I'm pretty sure once you have the room, you've got to put the new arrival there.

When you took FG/wo, you had four family members and four rooms at that point. Taking FG later would have given you five family members with only four rooms, since everything is collected at the moment you take the action space.Brian

I believe the member from Family Growth w/o room never requires a room for the duration of the game. So you started with 3 family ("dudes" ) and 4 rooms. You took Family Growth w/o room. The 4th room remains open for the 2nd family growth action. When/if you expand to 5 rooms. That 5th room will still remain open even though you have 5 members.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to expand, there is a card that allows growth without room. But the card states that once a room is available THAT member will fill the room. Not sure what the card is though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
uniconfis wrote:
apatheticexecutioner wrote:

When you took FG/wo, you had four family members and four rooms at that point. Taking FG later would have given you five family members with only four rooms, since everything is collected at the moment you take the action space.Brian

I believe the member from Family Growth w/o room never requires a room for the duration of the game. So you started with 3 family ("dudes" ) and 4 rooms. You took Family Growth w/o room. The 4th room remains open for the 2nd family growth action. When/if you expand to 5 rooms. That 5th room will still remain open even though you have 5 members.

Nope. Brian was correct in the first place. A worker that has been taken without room will always fill the first available room, whenever it may appear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
uniconfis wrote:
Just to expand, there is a card that allows growth without room. But the card states that once a room is available THAT member will fill the room. Not sure what the card is though.

You're thinking of either the Farm Steward (I-233), which allows your next (only) growth w/o room, or possibly the Reed Hut (K-138) which provides an "alternate" room and an immediate Family Growth (the worker on this card functions normally, but does not score at game's end unless you use a Family Growth action to bring it into the required empty room in your hut).

The easiest thing to remember is that Family Growth will always fill an available empty room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even easier:

FG can only be taken if current number of rooms in the house exceeds current number of deployed workers.

(the newborn placed on FGwoR counts as a deployed worker).

This check is done at the moment you attempt to place on the action space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.