Popular Tags: [View All]
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should Vera Custer start the game with an ability? Her character card says:

"For one whole round, she gains the same ability of another character in play of her choice."

The rules further clarify this by saying: "at the beginning of her turn, before drawing any cards (in phase 1), she chooses any other character still in play. Until her next turn, she has the same ability as that character."

This makes it sound like she DOESN'T start the game with an ability, but that seems a bit severe to me, especially since she only has 3 hit points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sappington wrote:
Should Vera Custer start the game with an ability? Her character card says:

"For one whole round, she gains the same ability of another character in play of her choice."

The rules further clarify this by saying: "at the beginning of her turn, before drawing any cards (in phase 1), she chooses any other character still in play. Until her next turn, she has the same ability as that character."

This makes it sound like she DOESN'T start the game with an ability, but that seems a bit severe to me, especially since she only has 3 hit points.

Your reasoning seems sound, and I think you're right. If it were supposed to happen at the start of the round, it would have said "at the beginning of the Sheriff's turn". It is possible that that is what it should have said, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play that she has no power until her turn. You point out that the power is weak for a 3 bullet character if this is the case, but since 1.) she could steal the power of any 3 bullet character for the rest of the game, so 4 is too many, 2.) several powers only come into effect during a persons turn, and 3.) she has additional flexibility to steal the best power for that moment in the game, I think 3 bullets is plenty even if she is powerless until her turn. In my experience she doesn't seem that broken or underpowered as some of the other powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.