Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chemist .
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a monster moves "1 tile closer to a hero," in which square on the destination tile do you place it? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
Whichever one you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How do monsters move?
Monsters move in tiles. Moving 1 tile means moving to any space on any of the up to four adjacent tiles (remember, tiles are only adjacent orthogonally, not diagonally, see above)

http://gawainish.info/CRDB/f/faq.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the updated FAQs...

I do have an 'add on' question...(basically want to clarify the ruling of Monster movements to "ANY SQUARE"

Can Monsters Move to "any square" even if other monsters are blocking a path to a chosen square per se? (I play yes, of course to keep it simple... just used to other dungeon crawlers having specific move paths for everything/body.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, they can hop over/squeeze through anything. As long as the target square is empty. This is unlike the heroes, who are NOT allowed to move through a monster square (but they move differently - square by square - so that's fair enough).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elstree
United States
State College
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add that when we demoed this at GenCon the designers specifically said that they expected that players would move monsters to the best advantage of the heroes. So for instance, given a choice of moving an attacking monster to a square adjacent to its target but not adjacent to another hero, or to a square adjacent to both its target and another hero, the controlling player is expected to chose the option he feels is best for the players, not best for the monster.

In this case, for example, the player might choose to place the monster between the two heroes so that each can get in an attack before moving away. Or, as another example, if the monster has an attack that's more powerful when it's already adjacent, the player might place the monster so that it's only adjacent to one hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo that statement, Elstree. In fact I just added this to another list a minute ago.
Quote:
don't feel like you are cheating by positioning the monsters in the heroes most favorable spot, that's part of the game design. Most game players think in the normal "move my character to the most favorable spot and then attack" game play (which usually involve an initiative system), however this game's "reveal a tile and the monster womps you once before you can even respond" system switches the whole normal game-turn up. Your tactics are reflected more in this game by favorable placement of monsters/villains, & manipulation of their Monster Tactics.

If you can't understand why that skeleton would move to the square opposite the area he ran up from, just think of it as a combat turn being resolved. The skeleton ran up and sliced at the fighter, who spun under the blow and gave a shove to the skeleton. The skeleton pulls up to come back at the fighter with vengeance in it's eyes, only to realize he has just become surrounded with the rogue at its back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martin
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
Quote:
How do monsters move?
Monsters move in tiles. Moving 1 tile means moving to any space on any of the up to four adjacent tiles (remember, tiles are only adjacent orthogonally, not diagonally, see above)

I love this FAQ, and the explanation of monster movement really helps clarify things for me. Out of pure curiosity, what is the source for this info?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grim6 wrote:
Gawain wrote:
Quote:
How do monsters move?

I love this FAQ, and the explanation of monster movement really helps clarify things for me. Out of pure curiosity, what is the source for this info?

Thanks! Most of it is just extrapolated from the game itself (rules, cards, adventures), sometimes with a little rewording to make it clearer. The rest comes from these BGG forums, including some clarifications from the designers themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martin
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:

Thanks! Most of it is just extrapolated from the game itself (rules, cards, adventures), sometimes with a little rewording to make it clearer. The rest comes from these BGG forums, including some clarifications from the designers themselves.

Really well done. After reading this FAQ, then rereading the rules, I realized how I had totally missed the main concept of the tile vs. square deal. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tazar Yoot
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one small question related to monster movement that I'm not sure has been touched on yet. In a case where a monster is on a tile alone and a hero is in a neighboring tile but on the edge touching the monsters tile. If the monsters rules state: if there's a hero within 1 tile away move adjacent to the nearest hero, can the monster move adjacent to the hero but still stay on the same tile or would the monster need to actually pick an adjacent square on the actual tile of the closest hero?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elstree
United States
State College
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TazarYoot wrote:
I have one small question related to monster movement that I'm not sure has been touched on yet. In a case where a monster is on a tile alone and a hero is in a neighboring tile but on the edge touching the monsters tile. If the monsters rules state: if there's a hero within 1 tile away move adjacent to the nearest hero, can the monster move adjacent to the hero but still stay on the same tile or would the monster need to actually pick an adjacent square on the actual tile of the closest hero?

It's your choice. Pick whichever is to the players' advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TazarYoot wrote:
I have one small question related to monster movement that I'm not sure has been touched on yet. In a case where a monster is on a tile alone and a hero is in a neighboring tile but on the edge touching the monsters tile. If the monsters rules state: if there's a hero within 1 tile away move adjacent to the nearest hero, can the monster move adjacent to the hero but still stay on the same tile
Yup
Quote:
or would the monster need to actually pick an adjacent square on the actual tile of the closest hero?
Nah. Only if it had said "move adjacent to that Hero on a square on its tile" or something like that. Nothing is worded like that though. It could also be impossible to do, as the Hero could be surrounded by other monsters/heroes/walls... which made me think of something else. What if you're supposed to move a monster adjacent to a hero, and all spaces surrounding the hero are occupied? (and for sake of argument there's no other heroes around either) Would the monster simply not move, or move as close as possible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tazar Yoot
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That might glitch the system somewhat like a 3rd adventure we played where the Kobold Sorcerer was stuck on a tile with a Gargoyle and no heroes within range. Therefore every turn the Kobold Sorcerer kept wasting his turn activating the Gargoyle which did nothing in return and the heroes were able to sit back and snipe them down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TazarYoot wrote:
That might glitch the system somewhat like a 3rd adventure we played where the Kobold Sorcerer was stuck on a tile with a Gargoyle and no heroes within range. Therefore every turn the Kobold Sorcerer kept wasting his turn activating the Gargoyle which did nothing in return and the heroes were able to sit back and snipe them down.

Did the Heroes have 2+ tile range on their attacks? I know there is a selection of those, but those I can think of (Magic Missile and Hunter's Shot) also have you place the Monster 1 tile closer if they miss. Then again, Klak has piss-poor AC, so could be they weren't missing. Point being that without 2+ range on their attacks, Gargoyle would be within range of the Heroes, thus activating and attacking twice thanks to Klak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tazar Yoot
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I don't recall the exact abilities off hand but I know it was only the 2+ tile range attacks that were able to snipe him, and that was really all that was needed. The heroes without the ranged attacks were busy with other baddies on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.