Popular Tags: [View All]
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I recieved my copy of Normandy '44 in the post late last week and managed to get a game going over the weekend.

All the components are of GMT's typically high standards. However I can't help but think something is missing...

First off, I love the amount of detail on the counters. I love that they have accurate logos and regiment, battalion numbers etc. However I keep finding myself thinking 'it would be good if there was some additional info on who each of the units are'. In particular some of the codes for British units have no explanation. 'NY' for example, or 'RSG' (my guess was Royal Scots Guards, but it is just a guess).

An order of battle would have done the job I suppose, but a little bio on each of the divisions, regiment etc would have made this a perfect game to me.

I'm sure the designers did a lot of research to make the game as accurate as possible, why not share that research?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll run the question by Mark and see if he wants to post an OB here and at CSW. I suspect it was just a matter of what "got left on the editting room floor", so to speak.

I know there were a few units where we just couldn't find their emblem, which was disappointing since Mark wanted to get them all. Just a matter of only so much time one can spend per game, etc. One designs games for the love of it, not to pay the bills *g*.

-K
Developer N'44
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Sergerie
Canada
La Prairie
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree! There's an example given in about the counter information (SFR tank unit = Sherbrooke Fusiliers Regiment). I wish same info could have been given regarding the other units.

Hi,
However I keep finding myself thinking 'it would be good if there was some additional info on who each of the units are'. In particular some of the codes for British units have no explanation. 'NY' for example, or 'RSG' (my guess was Royal Scots Guards, but it is just a guess).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bry Barnes
United Kingdom
Somerset, Uk
flag msg tools
'NY' is probably 'Northamptonshire Yeomanry', although whether it's 1st or 2nd is not clear. 1st NY were with 33rd Amroured Brigade attached to various units, whilst 2nd Northants stayed with the 11th Armoured Division.

'RSG' is probably 'Royal Scots Greys'. The 'Scots Guards' would probably be refered to as just 'SG' whilst the 'Royal Scots Dragoon Guards' would be refered to as 'RSDG' or 'Scots DG'.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, Mark said he would try to get at least an OB listing the abbreviations in the next version of the Living Rules (posted on GMT's website). But he's still working on the Vassal module, so that may be a while before the next Living Rules update.

-K
Developer, N'44
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your responses, and thanks Kevin, much appreciated.

Look forward to seeing the OB sometime in the not too distant future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kbernatz wrote:
FYI, Mark said he would try to get at least an OB listing the abbreviations in the next version of the Living Rules ...

Just checked the living rules (as of December 2010); sorry to see no OoB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.