Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: 3M Joy! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Mauer
United States
Willow Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm offically past the half way mark on my quest to owning all the 3M bookshelf games.

There are 27 of them (if you include Jati, which I'll never own) and I only need 12 (13 if I thougt I could get a copy of Jati) more to complete my set.

To justify collecting them to my lovely wife I had to play at least some of them...

I've discovered I really like PLOY. What a lovely Chess like game, plenty of strategy and easy to learn. I've not yet tried to play the four player varient but I've been pestering a couple of guys at work and I hope to be able to give it a go this month.

I've also discovered that I don't like FEUDAL as much as I thought I would from the description. It's an alright game but there is something there that is keeping me from that "fun" factor that I look for.

POINT OF LAW was kinda fun the first few games but is more interesting in a group without actually playing the game. Just reading the case and everyone arguing their position and choosing a side.

FACTS IN FIVE is fun! I used to play Scattergories years ago and enjoyed that, but I think that FACTS is a better game.

Well I just added MR PRESIDENT to the collection, and am looking forward checking it out. I like the theme and it sounds interesting.

Yea 3M! goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ersatz Ursatz
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've discovered I really like PLOY. What a lovely Chess like game, plenty of strategy and easy to learn. I've not yet tried to play the four player varient but I've been pestering a couple of guys at work and I hope to be able to give it a go this month.

From what I've heard, there is a way better four-player chess variant. In fact, this other game seems to be the only one to have successfully solved the 200-year-old problem of making a four-player chess variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
27?
Wow, are there that many?
Wait a minute... BBG lists about 45!
I know they had a line of educational games (Egghead or Chicken), but there are some titles I've never heard of (Bid & Bluff?)!
I've got all but a couple of the bookshelf games and a couple of the gamettes. I also have most of the paper games.

I don't have any of the sports games in the more traditional game boxes with the wrap around boards or the educational line.
Unfortunately, I haven't had an opportunity to play most of them. The one's I have played I've enjoyed:
Aquire
Venture
Bazaar
Sleuth
Twixt
Foil

Enjoyed each and every one! (Need aquire tile smiley here)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Which ones do you need?
I have some I'm trying to sell/trade that I haven't put up on the 'Geek yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hermann Huth
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3M games nowadays still playable are, IMHO,
Quinto, Twixt, Aquire, Ploy, Facts in Five, Bazaar, Foil, Contigo and Image from the Bookshelf line.
Blue line hockey, Regatta, Win place and show and Speed circuit from the sportsgame line.
Foil, Sleuth, Tryce, Monad, Venture and Octrix from the mini bookshelf line and Bid and Bluff from the cracker box line.
Bid and Bluff has been rereleased 1997 as Canyon by Abacus and Foil has been rereleased 1999 as Sabuca also by Abacus.
There is also Neo-Chess, of course rereleased by Abacus....
Willi from Abacus obviously loves the 3M stuff. Me too...
P.S.
Image is a bit resembling to Ein solches Ding by Fata Morgana.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
Good for you
I have a couple of 3M games...

Executive Decision
Feudal
Quinto
Phlounder

I traded Nate (cavedog_pdx) High Bid and FOIL for a couple of AH games - Wizard's Quest and Regatta (gotta love those little metal sailboats)

I've seen Twixt and Facts in Five fairly frequently at thrift stores, but haven't picked them up.

The only one I've gotten around to playing is Feudal - and it looks cooler than it plays - I agree. I like them for the nostaligia factor - and the fact that I picked them up for $1 a piece...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you like Ploy. The BGG Ploy page has a suggested rules mod for dealing with repetition of position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Mauer
United States
Willow Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Camron. 27 Bookshelf games. I know that 3m made more games but I'm concentrating on the bookshelf editions.
The ones in Blue I have, the ones in Red I need.

I think a lot of these 3M titles are very playable still. I keep checking the local thrift shop but have yet to see a an old 3M game come through, but I'm hopefull!

BOOKSHELF
1. Acquire thumbsupthumbsup
2. Backgammon
3. Bazaar
4. Break Thru thumbsup
5. Challenge Bridge
6. Challenge Football
7. Challenge Golf
Pebble Beach
8. Chess
9. Contigo
10. Events
11. Executive Decision
12. Facts in Five thumbsupthumbsup
13. Feudal thumbsup
14. Foil
15. Go
16. High Bid
17. Image
18. Jati ** (Ultra rare. Never Published)
19. JumPin
20. Mr President
21. Oh Wah Ree
22. Phlounder
23. Ploy thumbsupthumbsup
24. Point of Law thumbsupthumbsdown
25. Quinto
26. Stocks & Bonds
27. Twixt thumbsup

FLAT BOX
1. Big League Baseball
2. Blue line Hockey
3. Regatta
4. Speed Circuit
5. Thinking mans golf
6. Thinking mans football
7. Win Place & Show

GAMETTE
1. Evade
2. Feudal
3. Foil
4. High Bid
5. Monad
6. Octrix
7. Slueth
8. Sum Up
9. Tryce
10. Venture

I wish I knew how to program I would like to see an oline/JAVA version of PLOY and TWIXT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sjoholm
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here, please move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Twixt online
Go to www.littlegolem.net for an on-line Twixt implementation. It's the kind that e-mails you when it's your turn.

Which 3M games are you still looking for? I'm not sure how to read your posts.

-- Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Mauer
United States
Willow Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't trying to be a trade entry...
I wasn't looking to make this a trade journal entry but the ones in RED are the ones I am still needing to finish out the collection.

Mostly I was just reveling in the fun that is old 3M games, and my newfound joy in playing these titles I've never played. Though I remember seeing on shelves in friends and relatives houses when I was young. In particular I remember a friend of my fathers had JUMP PIN and I never had the nerve to ask them to bring it out. cry Hey I was young and it was a 'grown-ups' game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hermann Huth
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wandering Mouse,
Feudal has not been published as a gamette. There where only 9 of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Mauer
United States
Willow Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a gamette?
Hermann

Thank you for that bit of information. It looks like I have been misinformed.

I started this 3M collection on a whim but am finding that they really were quality games. The production value was/is very good I think. I also like the size of the packaging of the bookcase games. Very easy to store and they look good on display.

All I can say is that 3M was doing good things for the hobby in the late 60's early 70's and most of those games are still very playable today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hermann Huth
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are quite a few interesting things about the 3M series. They started in 1963 with a few games by Alex Randolph, Sid Sackson and Harold(?) Bernett as kind of the first "Eurogames" in the US - at least in terms of the mechanics. So "Eurogames" are not as new as one thinks in the US.
The very first edition of Aquire had very different rules from the following editions. If anybody is interested, I will upload a file here on the geek (if it doesn`t already exists, I dunno..and I am to lazy to check out now, it`s late night here in Germany snore)
Concerning the infamous Jati: there are a few 3Ms which are much rarer than this one: there exists a mid-sized bookshelf version of High-Bid, a prototype of a soccer sportsgame (which I have actually seen one time) and a mini-bookshelf version of Jumpin.
It seemed that 3M had changed their box outfits every two years or so, so happy collecting
Hermann

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hermann Huth
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I forgot Mad Mate by A. Randolph; actually the 28th bookcase game. To my information there are 2 copies known. This was the predecessor of Neo Chess.
Hermann

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3M games
I believe 3M was the originators of the bookcase game package, which they called "bookshelf." Avalon Hill's started shortly afterwards.
The quality was exceptional and they have held up very, very well over the years. It's har dto believe theya re some of the oldest games in my collection.
I have four of them: Chess, Backgammon, Go and Oh Wah Ree. Sorry, I would never trade them or give them away. They'd all be in the last 10 games I'd have if I could only have 10.
From what I understand 3M got out of the game line because of some higher-level business strategy that decided it was outside their business model, which is why Avalon Hill was able to take over the line. They were quite popular and could be found in surprising places. I believe I bought most, maybe all four, from Sears. I would ahve gotten some of the other ones but I had friends at the time who bought them. They had Twixt, Ploy, Feudal and maybe some others. Can't remember now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Staley
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently found Feudal at a Thrift Store for $5.00, and thankfully it was complete. The rules aren't that complex, and I played it with my daughter and it was rather fun. I think I have to reserve my "official" review of it until I play it with a group of adults.

But, even if it doesn't seem to be what I hope it will, it is a beautiful game.

I once owned Stocks & Bonds, and another one that I can't remember the name too, but I let them slip from my collection. If I ever run across more, they will be there to stay!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.