Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Arkham Horror Investigator Miniatures - Should I? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
I am quite content with what I have for Arkham. I have the custom dice from chessex and plastic stands for the monsters to help the gaminfg experience. I don't see where the plastic investigators will add much to the game. If I have to buy them with my own money I will pass.

The "problem" is that with proofing some manuals and running games at GenCon, I have a bit of credit built up for the FFG store. Enough to get a couple things that will be coming out shortly and still have (almost) enough to purchase all 48 investigators and wipe out my credit.

On the flip side, if I don't, I can purchase approximately 3 of tehir "normal" size games or two coffin games. None of the coffin games interest me at this point. And most of FFG's current stock I don't really want to get into (most of which I have anyway).

And I am fairly certain I can't use it for Dust Tactics or WotR Collector's Edition, so that really isn't an option even though it might seem like the most logical.

Coming here might seem like I am looking for a biased opinion to get the investigators, as it is the AH forum. But I was also hoping to get some respected "no, don't bother" comments as well.

So what would you do? And if you choose the games over the "toys" - what would your picks be for the "normal" size game?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara Saurio
Spain
Valencia
Valencia
flag msg tools
Logitech G25 + rFactor + XtremeRacers = pure sim racing!!!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Brian. I',m really sorry for you. You're in real trouble...
Now, seriously.
I completely understand your dilemma. I don't know myself what to do with the AH minis, because I have a small collection of "Pulp Figures" which I really like, and they do their part (though I play with the cardboard counters most of the time).
I think the AH minis are a lot of money, and being a different size of the regular 25-28 minis don't help at all.

In your case, if you're not interested in a FFG game recently published, I would go for the minis. I don't think they're gonna make a great number of them, and it can be the classical "collector" issue that could make you regret for not buying them. The points of "buying the whole set at once", and not "investing" your real money support this opinion.

And, of course, we need somebody to take the pictures for the BGG...
Regards.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How does the FFG credit work? Will the credit stay valid for years on end? In other words: can you hold on to it and buy future games you might want?

Also, are you planning on doing more stuff for them and having even more credit in the future?

It would be a waste not to use the credit. It would be a shame to use it on something you don't really want and not having any credit when something comes up you do want.

I'd take the middle road: order a few (e.g. complete base game) and see if you like them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
There are a couple I am interested and they are always coming out with new stuff. My hope, obviously, is that i keep volunteering and keep getting credit. If that is the case, it makes sense to get the minis now and hope future projects cover those games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
How does the FFG credit work? Will the credit stay valid for years on end? In other words: can you hold on to it and buy future games you might want?

Also, are you planning on doing more stuff for them and having even more credit in the future?

It would be a waste not to use the credit. It would be a shame to use it on something you don't really want and not having any credit when something comes up you do want.

I'd take the middle road: order a few (e.g. complete base game) and see if you like them.

It expires after one year. I am not in a position to lose it.

Thought about doing partial but I am an all ornothing type guy. And since I play randomly, and not with specific characters, it would be hard to select "favorites."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett David Spain
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely Bonkers. But I will tell you a secret, All the best people are.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll regret it later if you don't get them and they go out of print. If you do and determine later that you don't want them, there is sure to be a secondary market to take them off your hands.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
throwingmuse wrote:
You'll regret it later if you don't get them and they go out of print. If you do and determine later that you don't want them, there is sure to be a secondary market to take them off your hands.

Very solid point.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uXs The Sane
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I am quite content with what I have for Arkham. I have the custom dice from chessex and plastic stands for the monsters to help the gaminfg experience. I don't see where the plastic investigators will add much to the game. If I have to buy them with my own money I will pass.


What stands do you use for the monsters exactly? I'm putting the monsters diagonally on the board to make them stand out against the mostly square boxes on it, but I think only having stands will satisfy me in the end.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
uXses wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I am quite content with what I have for Arkham. I have the custom dice from chessex and plastic stands for the monsters to help the gaminfg experience. I don't see where the plastic investigators will add much to the game. If I have to buy them with my own money I will pass.


What stands do you use for the monsters exactly? I'm putting the monsters diagonally on the board to make them stand out against the mostly square boxes on it, but I think only having stands will satisfy me in the end.

We did a group order about 2 years ago from a company in the UK. They are close to what was provided in the original FFG games (though FFG has now switched to clear hard plastic stands with teeth).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uXs The Sane
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, my game came with the clear plastic stands.

If those stands you ordered are close to the originals, aren't they too hard on the tokens? I've read quite some threads about the stands (the original ones) 'eating' the cardboard monster tokens.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Grudunza's idea (I think it was him).

Set aside a number of the clear plastic stands that come with the game that equals the monster limit. When you place a monster, put it half in the stand (it's kind of diagonal when you do it right), so it's half in the stand and half hanging out over the edge.

It still stands fine, but since you're not going fully across the stand, you're not getting any tile damage, since you don't go past the bump in the centre of the stand that sticks out and makes it tight.

Side benefit, when you place a monster and don't have a stand, you've reached the monster limit, and they go to the outskirts. So you never screw that part up.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
But I was also hoping to get some respected "no, don't bother" comments as well.

No, don't bother. :)

You say you're content with what you have. Content is a pretty good thing to be.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
uXses wrote:
Yeah, my game came with the clear plastic stands.

If those stands you ordered are close to the originals, aren't they too hard on the tokens? I've read quite some threads about the stands (the original ones) 'eating' the cardboard monster tokens.

No, the original stands were awesome. I don't like the new stands unless they are more permanent.

I'll try to dig up photos....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Being not lucky (or hardworking!) enough to have the option of credit for the minis I am in a similar position (but using my own money).

If someone has them then I would love to see pictures of them during gameplay (on the board).

They are pretty expensive, but AH has a pretty special place in my heart and the big kid in me loves having quality components to look at.

Brian, I would recomend getting them all if you get a similar "buzz" from having nice components in your hands. Whatever adds to the presentation also adds to the immersion.

If they look as good as I hope on the game board, I´ll be saving up for the collection.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The major drawbacks to these new miniatures from my perspective are:

* There are not corresponding monster figures. This means the "cool" investigators will not look quite so cool when fighting cardboard chits. I actually think it would be disappointing to put down a lovely 3D, painted investigator when the monsters are nothing like them.

* Storage. That's a lot of extra pieces.

If neither of these things are issues for you and you have the credit, I'm all out of reasons to abstain!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
The major drawbacks to these new miniatures from my perspective are:

* There are not corresponding monster figures. This means the "cool" investigators will not look quite so cool when fighting cardboard chits. I actually think it would be disappointing to put down a lovely 3D, painted investigator when the monsters are nothing like them.

What makes yout hink we won't see monsters too someday?

Quote:
* Storage. That's a lot of extra pieces.

If neither of these things are issues for you and you have the credit, I'm all out of reasons to abstain!

I still have alll thing s Arkham in their original boxes. Tossing the investigators into the appropriate big box shouldn't be a problem.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you sign up for volunteering?
Sorry to thread hijack a little but.....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
How do you sign up for volunteering?
Sorry to thread hijack a little but.....

When I was signed up 2.5 years ago, they had put out an open call on their forums. I didn't see one go out this year so they may be set on their volunteer staff for the time being. They have a few key guys that bring large groups with them so the open spots seem to be filled by them fairly quickly without FFG having to do open calls.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
corkysru wrote:
How do you sign up for volunteering?
Sorry to thread hijack a little but.....

When I was signed up 2.5 years ago, they had put out an open call on their forums. I didn't see one go out this year so they may be set on their volunteer staff for the time being. They have a few key guys that bring large groups with them so the open spots seem to be filled by them fairly quickly without FFG having to do open calls.

Sad panda. lol
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, I'd say forgo the miniatures. While they'd be nice, I guess, to have, I can't imagine that you wouldn't be better off spending that money on a new game of some sort, instead. The only reason I could see to splurge on all 48 investigators like that would be if your credit was close to expiring and there were absolutely no games of any interest for you at FFG. Then you could get them as a potential collector's item or be content in the knowledge that you could trade them off for something pretty amazing on BGG later on if you get tired of them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ Wilson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I would say it really depends on how much of a "collector" you really are.

If your the completionist type, this usually means you'll forever regret not having the figures, and most likely cant live without them unless you have some issue with their overall quality.

If your only interested in functionality, these most likely arent going to be of much value to you. You may only want to focus on buying a few favorites, or heavily used Investigators, at most. Also, theres been a new expansion on a pretty regular schedule, the next in line being a big box. Keeping some back for it might be wiser for you/


Something that would be nice (and logical for FFG) would be the addition of a discounted full set of 48, or perhaps a discount for purchasing them by the expansion.

PS: Monster figures arent really practical, in my opinion. The cost of a full set would be daunting number for anyone (if they are priced same as investigators) and ontop of that they would need to display their stats somewhere (making them cost more probably), not to mention you would have to buy multiple copies of some of them. In any case, I would keep them off to the side and only put one in play when its chip is drawn, as having them rolling around in a bag together is a terrible idea.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
darkgeneralmax wrote:
PS: Monster figures arent really practical, in my opinion. The cost of a full set would be daunting number for anyone (if they are priced same as investigators) and ontop of that they would need to display their stats somewhere (making them cost more probably), not to mention you would have to buy multiple copies of some of them. In any case, I would keep them off to the side and only put one in play when its chip is drawn, as having them rolling around in a bag together is a terrible idea.

Mansions of Madness was announced today. As can be seen in the setup, there are plastic miniatures of some creatures. So it isn't that far of a stretch to say that they may reuse molds for the Arkham game.

As to functionality, there is a 3rd party company making clear plastic stands that allow you to clip your plastic investigator and the cardboard marker at the same time. This small thing sells me on the whole concept.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
this mansions madness arkham horror monster figure thing reminds me, how ffg put the minis into dungeon quest for use in runewars. perhaps thats in some way true for mansions of madness? laugh
i guess not. but one can dream? blush would be a stroke of luck for me, two birds with one stone. my addiction to AH would finally pay off... for my addiction to AH. shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.