United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest BoardgameSpeak episode has been posted! In this show Derk and I talk about the upcoming BGG.CON, t-shirts, Waffle House, Mallworld, Das Zepter von Zavandor, and Twilight Imperium. We also introduce a new feature starring Rick Thornquist from GameWire and GoneCardboard! Ted Cheatham fills in the show with a review of Picnic Panic which is not the Milton Bradley game in the database. Enjoy!

p.s. The registration for BGG.CON will probably open sometime next week. We just hafta sign the contract and get the code for the hotel.

71 Minutes.

You can subscribe in iTunes here:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcas...

AAC is 16.8 MB:
http://www.bggfiles.com/geekspeak/BGS-2005-02-16.m4b

MP3 is 16.4 MB:
http://www.bggfiles.com/geekspeak/BGS-2005-02-16.mp3

As always, you can leave us comments or questions at: 1-800-849-4236

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Just in time...
..for my dentist appt. Thank you!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
derk

Derk, are you on Prozac? You sound really quiet, very down. Is this the new Derk, restrained, tolerant, caring Derk? No more SCREW YOU Derk? thumbsdown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
Re: GeekSpeak 17
A nice, low-key episode--very enjoyable. I'm a fan of the long ones, but not every Geekspeak has to go on for hours. I especially like Rick Thornquist's new feature. I never manage to keep up with the Gone Cardboard web site--it will be great if we can get a regular summary of the new releases on Geekspeak.

Congratulations to you both on making the right choice, and getting Macs. You won't regret it! Now I have to convince you to try using Safari regularly. Yes, there are advantages to Firefox, but Safari works pretty well, and you can't beat the look and feel. Besides, I figure that if you guys use Safari enough, that will mean Safari and BGG will never have incompatabilities again. goldencamel Also, if you use instant messaging, and especially if you like to stay logged into more than one service, you should check out Adium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random Access
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw yeah, PowerBook
Welcome to the Unix brethren. Make sure you get X installed with all the goodies.
Windows users get 1 OS. We get 3!
Good episode everybody, although Derk, a little mean to Aldie at the start. And in the middle. And at the end. I like it better when you have a guest to attack.
But to Aldie? Where is the love? Where is the love?
And I think Ted Cheatham(sp?) needs a spot on the national news.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just put this into iTunes
and it has these interesting stats:

25 songs, 1.3 days, 771.1 MB

That's just GeekSpeaks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm halfway through the episode and it's going well except that Derk has clearly been abducted by aliens or perhaps goo and been replaced with a laid-back clone. Curse you aliens!

Just a suggestion...

If you find yourselves doing a show without a guest again, why not "Open up the phone lines" and take some calls. If I'd love to call in with a question and get a discussion going then there must be a couple dozen other people who feel the same way. And hey ... there's your show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krister Jonsson
Sweden
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
No podcast?
Hello, sorry to complain about a great feature, but the latest show don't show up in the xml-feed for GeekSpeek. Is that on purpose? If I have to, I can download the show at the website, but I'd rather do it with my Nimiq. I visit the website enough anyway.

But anyway, thanks for a great show.

/Krister Jonsson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I like black t-shirts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, not sharing a German Store order is definitely a gamer faux paux, uber rude. Shame! I am guilty of breaking this one with an AS order I did last year. The SHAME!

nuclearnuclearnuclear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
neat
A nice show, just checking in it seemed like. I like the new feature, I think that is going to be very cool. Between feature and the hook you guys have started to sound like a radio show.

For shows without the hook you need a backup. There is a late night sports talkshow host on ESPN radio I think who does a segment where his producers or the various people around the studio ask him a question about anything really, and he has 90 seconds to answer it. These aren't trivia questions but rather opinion or intellectual interesting questions. I think a segment where Aldie and Derk answer random gamer questions would be fun, stuff like, why is Tichu considered superior to gang of four. Or food at the gaming table yea or nay. Or does anyone really care if game names are pronounced correctly? or if Alan moon and Renier were playing shuffleboard who would win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Nice, brief show
Quote:
Derk, are you on Prozac? You sound really quiet, very down. Is this the new Derk, restrained, tolerant, caring Derk? No more SCREW YOU Derk?

Yep, Derk seemed neutered but a) there was no one to pick on but Aldie, and b) he did say the Cafe Press merchandise sucks devil

Liked the new Rick Thornquist feature thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Li
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Commentary
Listened to the show twice! Great stuff once again...Aldie and Derk. Some comments.

1) Thanks for taking the time to listen to Listener's Mail, Viewer's Mail...er...Audio Feedback and putting Rick Thornquist as a regular on the show. It was great. Although his lists are a little dry at times, but sometimes when he interjects comments like "Make sure you have a lot of friends to carry TI3 home cuz it's heavy", they make it more comical and enjoyable.

2) I agree with everyone above me that this episode is where Aldie finally comes out of his shell and hi-jacks it from Derk, who may have been fatigued and drunk. LOL. This is not a bad thing, per say. But it was kind of a role-reversal where Aldie interupts Derk A LOT as opposed to the other way around. In summary: Good 50/50 split on the commentary, but Aldie, you gotta interupt Derk less or at least until he finishes a thought...unless you want to be the REAL Derk, which in that case...you gotta drop more F-Bombs. LOL.

3) Thanks for the preview about Mall World, Twilight Imperium and Das Zeptor. I was thinking about Mall World and the ratings just don't seem to do it justice. I'm not sure if people rated it low because of the RULES or because of numerous playings. Thanks for clearing that up with your impressions.

4) Ted Cheatham and his review of Picnic Panic. Loved it as usual, but Picnic Panic??? Seems like some obscure game...that I'll never be able to consider getting just from popping in to my Brick and Mortar store.

Keep up the good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JMC Raven
United States
Unspecified
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Show Comments
Laid back show. You need guests to riff off of. There was a certain energy lacking that was present in other shows. Entertaining nonetheless.

I've posted here before. I'm not a big gamer, but nevertheless like this show. A lot. And after a week or so of thinking about why, I've come up with what I think is the reason: it's two or three adults having a civil conversation about something fun.

I used to enjoy talk radio. Back when I was concerned about politics, I really got into the shows. I'm not really into politics so much anymore. Between Combs, Limbaugh, Franken, and any of the others, its strictly point-of-view pontifications. No real discussions. Now, I check out college lectures from the library and listen to those.

With political talk, if I disagree with you, I'm evil. With this show, if I disagree with you, I'm a twit. And then we both laugh. I'm getting older, so I must be getting weary of the divisiveness of the other shows. So I listen to geeks. At least they can get along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Outpost sucks, don't worry about missing it....
Outpost is a bore - you are not missing anything. Outpost's value was in inspiring Puerto Rico. Keep it in the shrinkwrap and on the shelf, where good influences belong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.