Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Summoner Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Is it similar to Warcraft III, or Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to get a feel for this game. It seems in some ways similar to both games mentioned above (though of course with some major differences from the War3 computer game). I've wanted a game that simulates the fighting of Warcraft for awhile, and I know I also love the simplicity and mind-games of LoTR:TC. Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm not left-handed either
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played either of these games, but from what I've read in the reviews LoTR Confrontation seems like Stratego, but with special abilities and flavor. In that respect, you might find some elements you really like in Summoner Wars.

There is no "hiding" of Units like in LoTR:tC, but you can still get ambushed by a Unit you didn't expect jumping out of a Wall next to you. Summoner Wars is also very matchup-heavy. Some Units, especially if you play Orcs vs. Elves, are perfect counters for one Unit but can't do anything vs. others. (example, Tundra Orc Smashers are terrific against Guardians, but can be easily sniped with a couple Warriors.)

I'm not sure how you'll find the mind-games in LoTR:tC stack up against Summoner Wars' back-and-forth Summoning, but I'd tell pretty much anyone to give it a shot, and you may well be pleasantly surprised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a Warcraft Boardgame that plays a lot like the Warcraft videogame.

There are maybe some similarities to Confrontation, but very loosely. It is kind of like a tactical skirmish game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D
United States
Johnson City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like Trikinggames' Anachronism.

Only game I can see where you can compare the 2.

A lot of differences, but closes in similarities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried the WoW Miniatures game. I thought it was quite good. It's a little pricey because it's a booster based game, but still fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.