Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very happy when Disaster at Dieppe finally arrived at my local game store, and especially interested in the two new units it contained: half-tracks and jeeps.

The jeeps follow long range patrol car rules, and are classed as infantry, having the same range and power when attacking. They can move further (four spaces) and still attack, and are more difficult to target: infantry and grenade symbols are re-rolled and then only grenades count as hits, and all other results are ignored.

The scenario "Raid on Barce" looked particularly interesting as the New Zealanders were only equipped with six jeeps, each one on its own hex. The Italians were given five infantry units--well dug in--and one elite tank unit.

Round 1

Kiwis: Me
Italians: Penny

I started off moving my jeeps in on the right flank, right into the Italian barbed wire. Jeeps cannot remove wire, so there were not able to attack, given the -1 penalty. As the battle progressed, I quickly lost two jeeps in close assaults--Tiger Tanks they ain't despite the re-roll rule.

However, I soon found with their range of four spaces that I could easily have two of them converge on a given space, and it wasn't long before I had eliminated two infantry units, and sabotaged one of the Italian supply tents.

Kiwis: 3
Italians: 2

The Italians used their ability to retreat 1-3 spaces to their advantage and regrouped to protect their airfield and supply tents. I managed to do serious damage to the tank unit (again by having jeeps converge from far afield) before I lost another jeep.

Kiwis: 3
Italians: 3

I then forced the Italian's tanks to retreat, and pummeled them for the win.

Kiwis: 4
Italians:3

Round 2

Italians: Me
Kiwis: Penny

So now it was my turn to defend against those little (they are the smallest object on the board) jeeps, buzzing around the battle field causing havoc. I planned to use the Italian's abillity to retreat to stave them off, but that soon proved difficult to do.

While the jeeps cannot use Behind Enemy Lines, they can use Move Out! and soon they were swarming all over the battlefield. They drove me out of my supply tents, destroyed two infantry units and were harrassing my airfield before I managed to take out one unit, despite having used Their Finest Hour.

Kiwis: 2
Italians: 1

The Italians tried to drive the Kiwis out of the airfield and the supply tents to prevent sabotage, and at the same time destroy units. I did manage to drive them out of my supply tents and take out one of the jeeps (at the cost of an infantry unit), but was unable to defend against sabotage on my airfield. The Kiwis carried the day.

Kiwis: 4
Italians: 2

So my wife won the game 8-6. We found this to be an excellent scenario, and the new unit's ability to travel four spaces making it very different. We are looking forward to trying the other scenarios in this expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron H
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
I play Memor 44,Tide of Iron, and Axis and Allies:1942!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also won this as the allies. The patrol cars rules make them more like armored cars. They are only 17% easier to kill than Tigers. I think on the re-roll, infantry and grenades should kill them. If you have more than one in a unit, they will be harder to kill than Tigers! I only lost one PC, sabotaged all but one target, and killed the Italian armor to win. Even with all their shots, the Italian player could only kill one of my PC's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.