Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Well, I like trading, but... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have over a hundred games which I'm sure I would trade if the deal was right.

But I don't know which games, and I don't know what I want...

I recently completed a trade of my Torres for a bunch of Cthulhu CCG. Torres was not on my trade list... Cthulhu not on my want list...

But I really want to get rid of the deadwood in my collection.

I just don't know what I want to get rid of, or what I want to replace it with...

I only have about 3 games listed for trade and about 10 wants.

How do you determine when to put something up for trade or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hogan
United States
zimmerman
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I think the most important idea for you to look at is whether you play the game anymore, or will play the game in case someone comes over and likes to game. I had plenty of magic cards lying around for the last year so I put 1 deck together and sold the rest off. I've lost about 150 lbs. of cardboard, but I think it was worth it and now I can purchase more boardgames or something else I wanna try...Any games that you rate a 4 or less I'd definitely want to get rid of unless your 5 year old likes it.
Now if you want to start cleaning house you have melee and wizard but those you rate 6 and 7 so if theres anything that tickles your fancy on my trade list contact me...I'm here to help facilitate your need to clean up all those games

jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with James here. The main thing I go by when putting something up for trade is how many times I get to play them. Otheriwse there is not much point in having these games, right? Of course, this is assuming you are not into collecting and such... But from a purely gaming point of view, if I cannot imagine playing a game with my current crowd in the near future (lets say the next 3-4 gatherings) then I'd put it up for trade. coffee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Invariably, you already know that you have a core set of games you wouldn't trade or sell away, ever. And there's a sort of closely related set of games that you would only trade away if you would game something you covet most dearly. And then there's the rest. That may or may not be trading fodder, depending on how many plays they get.

Learn to let go! Particularly for games you are lukewarm on and can't get people in your group to play.

Trades I have made:

Call of Cthulhu for Torres.
In fact, that's this trade. I like the CoC cards, but they are not exactly family-friendly, and I tend to play with people who are not into the whole Cthulhu business. I let it go for a game that I would enjoy and that they would enjoy, too, plus I just have a taste for whimsical-looking games with great bits. Torres is now part of my core games.

War of the Ring, Betrayal on House on the Hill, a fair amount of money, and a lot of shipping for an oversized UPS box, for Reef Encounter
The most painful for me was War of the Ring. Oh, let me tell you: it hurt. It hurt a lot. Betrayal hurt a lot, too, because people around here would play it... it's just that they would only play it during Halloween. Reef Encounter will get a lot more plays, because of the theme, and my group has been clamoring for a more complex game, and they're about to get it. Most people would not have made this trade; I am rather extreme. This is probably not a good example, in fact...

L5R (three times as many cards as I gave you), for Evo and Kung Fu Fighting.
Maybe I'm masochistic, but I really do like Evo and Kung Fu Fighting. L5R I could never get around to constructing decks for; you could put factions together easily, but the rest of the cards were all too flexible to easily piece together appropriate clan decks---particularly when you're not familiar with a clan strategy. Call of Cthulhu fixes this problem very well, and I like CoC much better as a casual CCG than many others; FFG did a nice job here.

Al Cabohne and every single bit of a particular expansion I owned, including the base game for Jambo
A lot of gamers would not have initiated this trade with me, but I am not fond of Al Cabhone (well, only a little bit) nor was I fond of the other game (I used to be, but no one here will play it with me---I'm not in college anymore...)... but Jambo would get played here. And I did end up liking Jambo more than Al Cabohne.

Pirate's Cove for Princes of Florence and Diceland: Extra Space
Owwwwwwwww. And I usually will NOT let go of Days of Wonder games. They are so beautiful... but you know, it wouldn't get played here. Probably wouldn't have. Well, I was cleaning my closet at the time. Princes of Florence is a pretty nice game, though, and the economies are pretty equal in this trade; plus I like to collect Diceland. Good thing it's easy to collect. Some point in the future I may rebuy this game, but at the time my group is not quite ready for it in many ways.... mostly 'cause the kids need to mature a bit. Not every kid does, of course.

Alhambra for Aladdin's Dragons.
Trade is still in the process of completing. I already shipped on Monday, but I'm rather fast at that. Still waiting on Dragons to even ship, which I imagine will happen this week, this weekend, or next week. One day it will ship... I hope. This was an equal trade and didn't cause me any pain. Well, not much. I like Alhambra, actually, but I like Richard Breese games more.

Bang!: High Noon for Ticket to Ride: Mystery Train Expansion.
In a heartbeat. In a heartbeat. No pain here.

And getting slightly off-topic, because I was your trading partner for this transaction...

Call of Cthulhu is particularly easy to create casual decks for... match up by color, remove cards to replace with appropriate neutral cards or just to trim out any fluff. I just went through a couple nights of pieceing together casual B5 decks; so many of the cards can apply flexibly in so many ways, not being attached usually to any particular faction, which makes it much, much harder to come up with cohesive decks, even casual ones. Call of Cthulhu is just much easier in this respect.

The two preconstructed decks are a good place to start out with for an Agency/University deck and a Cthulhu/Hastur deck, and from there on you can experiment with full Agency or full University decks (even just using the cards that were in the booster box), etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo! Aladdin's Dragons just shipped! I am happy! I am happy! I am happy! I should not have doubted. I should have kept faith. Forgive me, Great Gamer in the Sky, for my sin. People have lives, after all.

Well, Alhambra was a bit of a wrench, because it is a great game, and I may buy it again should my group show an interest in a stock trading game. They tend to notice mechanics that bore them, though. I don't have much hope here. They would like the tile laying, but then again if they didn't like blind bidding O Zoo le Mio would not have stood a chance.

Anyways... I am a bit extreme in that I think every trade should cause you a little bit of pain, because you know you are letting go of a good game, even if you know it's because you don't really like the mechanic, are lukewarm, or it will never get played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How do you determine when to put something up for trade or not?

Here is my basic criteria for putting something on my trade list:

If there is a game or games (maybe not even a specific one) I would trade X for that would be a fair trade, then X goes on the trade list.

For my want list:

If Y looks interesting or is something I would like to try I put Y on my want list.

Both of these lists are pretty fluid and I usually add or remove something from the lists every time I log in, depending on my whims. Of course, I like trading and do a lot of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.