Popular Tags: [View All]
Shanya Almafeta
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm attempting to upload an image with transparency (first-ever attempt at a microbadge, want to upload it to get feedback). It looks fine on my end; I view it in two different programs to make sure it's transparent; on my end, it's transparent. When I upload it to BGG, however, the transparent pixels have been replaced with black.

I change the file type to PNG, and make sure it's transparent. I upload it again. The transparent pixels are black again.

Two different file formats, and the same problem each time. I don't think it's the file - it's transparent on my end. What am I missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG only accepts jpg images.
If you upload in a different format it converts to jpg, and the transparency turns black.

(see below)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanya Almafeta
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooof, okay, and Paint.net doesn't support transparent JPGs. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Portugal
Lagos
Algarve
flag msg tools
I've been offline from BGG for the last couple of weeks, but I'll be back very soon!
badge
I'm that weirdo that keeps track of how many badges Kaffedrake has sold prior to yesterday
mb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
If you upload in a different format it converts to jpg, and the transparency turns black.
That is incorrect, other formats are accepted, including PNGs. The thing is that the standard uploader gets rid of the transparency. In order to keep image transparency, the legacy uploader must be used to upload the image; check out the Microbadge Design and Submission wiki entry for more info (search for legacy uploader)

(Shanya, I hadn't noticed that you had posted the question here; my original reply was based on your post on the main microbadge thread which had the chicken leg with a white background)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bail Organa wrote:
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
That is incorrect, other formats are accepted, including PNGs. The thing is that the standard uploader gets rid of the transparency. In order to keep image transparency, the legacy uploader must be used to upload the image; check out the Microbadge Design and Submission wiki entry for more info (search for legacy uploader)

(Shanya, I hadn't noticed that you had posted the question here; my original reply was based on your post on the main microbadge thread which had the chicken leg with a white background)

Good to know. Go with what this guy says, he seems to know what he's talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG does give the images a .jpg ending, but they are still the same file. You CAN upload an image to your gallery with transparency and retain it. You'll want to use the legacy uploader. (IIRC)

Loading a new image up, it looks like this in the gallery view:
But when showing it with the "original" size it is transparent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.