Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dante Gagne
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had one question that caused some confusion. The question was whether or not you reshuffle an adventure deck (which is the deck that contains all the monsters from which you draw when you attempt an adventure space on the board) when the encounters are exhausted.

We're aware that in classic Runebound you would shuffle an adventure deck when it runs out. However, on page 6 of the book, it says "If the current adventure deck runs out of cards, the next highest rank is considered the current adventure deck. If the last red adventure deck card is drawn, all discarded red adventure cards must be shuffled, and they become the current adventure deck"

This made us question... when could an ADVENTURE deck run out of cards? Since not every card is a "Keep this card", then the only way an adventure deck could run out of cards is if you don't get to shuffle it. But, with only 30 green cards (for instance), this feels like it's going to happen extremely quickly.

We thought this might be a typo and that it's referring to the RITUAL decks, meaning that if the last green ritual is used and another one needs to be pulled, even if no one has cleared a yellow encounter, a yellow ritual would get played... but we found that same couple sentences describing the ritual deck on the bottom right of page 10.

How are other folks playing this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is a typo as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The "current adventure deck" is a specific term that comes up on various cards. This section isn't a typo or mistake - it's done so that the "current adventure deck" will advance to the next level if you burn through all the current cards, making the game tougher even if you aren't ready to move up.

My understanding is that you still treat the challenge cards as you would in the original game; they aren't a limited resource. The one thing I'm not clear about is whether advancing the "current adventure deck" also advances the current ritual deck at the same time. I'd suggest yes because it's just more convenient, but could see arguments either way.

That said, did this actually happen or are you just reading the rules and trying to learn the game? I can't see this actually happening very often... but it probably depends on how many people you are playing with and/or how timid those players are to actually race to higher levels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante Gagne
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It did actually happen with us. We were playing with three players, and yes, we were pretty timid with getting levels. We tend to be kinda timid, especially the first time playing a new expansion since we don't know for sure just how big that jump is going to be.

We played two games and had a good time, although the second round was painfully broken (which I'll post seperately)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.