Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Rocchi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer

As per the subject line, English rules up on Z-Man site..

http://www.zmangames.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Bizarro Sentieiro
Portugal
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
#WYGAME
badge
#NBS# at WYG
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.zmangames.com/boardgames/devulgari.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it too late to submit errors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Quondam
Italy
Roma
Roma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, isn't late, still a couple of days available, write me a msg and I will correct them

Ciao
Michele
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I am interested in this game - very unusual theme! thumbsup

Some language issues I noticed skimming through the rules:

page 1:
"turnchart" seems to appear as one word throughout the text; "turn chart" seems more correct and commonly used.

"the support of Politicians, Noblemen, Abbesses, and of the Amanuensis." -> Amanuenses (throughout the word "Amanuensis" seems used always, even in plural contexts, but the plural is "Amanuenses" - there are many places to correct that in the rules, and I don't mention all the following ones; the vast majority of "Amanuensis" should be plural "Amanuenses", as far as I noticed..)

page 2:
"randmomly" -> randomly

"they will determinate the end of the game" -> determine

"according to the number on them" -> numbers

page 3:
"On the side of the board the following has to be placed:" -> have to (or simply "should")

"IIth turn)" -> 11th

page 4:
"Take the Politicians, Noblemen, Abbesses and Amanuensis cubes" ->
Take the Politician, Nobleman, Abbess and Amanuensis cubes (nouns used like adjectives are normally singular)

page 11:
"content of the box" -> contents of the box (or simply "box contents")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Quondam
Italy
Roma
Roma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Done

thank you Russ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm half way through. I have too many changes to post here (or anywhere). The English is just a little off everywhere. I would change more than 50% of them. Also the application that renders the document is doing a really poor job of inserting whitespace to make the text flush.

One thing I will point out: Almost every use of "can" should be "may". One exception would be that "A game of De Vulgari Eloquentia can last from 13 to 16 turns" should be "A game of De Vulgari Eloquentia takes from 13 to 16 turns".

Also, all cases where the phrase "amount of [something countable]" sould be "number of...". It's "amount of money" but "number of Ducati".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
ekted wrote:
I have too many changes to post here (or anywhere). The English is just a little off everywhere.

I agree that much of it sounds stylistically unnatural and non-native, but decided it wasn't worth worrying about that. Actual misspellings and grammatical errors are the easy-to-fix low-hanging fruit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The description of the "Moving" action is very confusing. One sentence says that you have to stop if you move to sea, and another says you can combine land and sea movement. The rules also say you can use the action before or after movement, but don't say if this "or" is inclusive or exclusive.

russ wrote:
...but decided it wasn't worth worrying about...

I would urge you (if you are involved) to consider a complete overhaul if you are not rushed for Essen. I'm really surprised that Zev is happy with these rules. If this game is well-received, there WILL be complete rewrite by fans. I know if that happened for rules that I had written, I would be pretty embarrassed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
ekted wrote:
I would urge you (if you are involved) to consider a complete overhaul if you are not rushed for Essen.

Oh, I am just an interested potential player and/or buyer of the game who took a quick pass through the rules just now. (The same as you, I assume - right?) If it was a project I was professionally involved with, I would indeed do a major revision on the English translation since so many sentences have odd/unnatural grammar.

(I have gotten used to automatically not worrying about non-native word order etc., since most of the English I hear and read in "real life" these days is non-native English... but certainly I agree it would be better to have good natural English in the published rules.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus E.-L.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ekted wrote:

The description of the "Moving" action is very confusing. One sentence says that you have to stop if you move to sea, and another says you can combine land and sea movement.

I asked a similar question and got this answer from the author (via gnocarello):

gnocarello wrote:

The trip from Palermo to Cagliari costs 10 Ducati and 3 actions. It takes a turn.
If you want to spend no Ducati, you have to travel first from Palermo into the open sea and than from the open sea to Cagliari. It takes two turns.

ekted wrote:

The rules also say you can use the action before or after movement, but don't say if this "or" is inclusive or exclusive.

What do you mean with "the action"? Interacting with the zones on the map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luniki wrote:

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
Just across the border from Geneva, Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
I'm half way through. I have too many changes to post here (or anywhere). The English is just a little off everywhere. I would change more than 50% of them. Also the application that renders the document is doing a really poor job of inserting whitespace to make the text flush.

One thing I will point out: Almost every use of "can" should be "may". One exception would be that "A game of De Vulgari Eloquentia can last from 13 to 16 turns" should be "A game of De Vulgari Eloquentia takes from 13 to 16 turns".

Also, all cases where the phrase "amount of [something countable]" sould be "number of...". It's "amount of money" but "number of Ducati".

Michele has asked me to give the English rules a thorough going-over. If anyone wishes to send me their comments about unclear areas, please do so. There is no need to send editorial corrections, though.

It's best to send me email: gavinwj at wanadoo dot fr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started marking up the rules, but I have questions about almost every paragraph. I'll wait until you have a real English version to read them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The update is now in Michele's hands. We can but wait...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Quondam
Italy
Roma
Roma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's online on Giochix web site:
www.giochix.it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
micheleq wrote:
It's online on Giochix web site:
www.giochix.it

And I've just spotted a flippin' typo!! Aaaargh!

But it's very easily fixed in the PDF before it goes to print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Movement ans Small Business"
"Thie manuscript"
"player's screen screen"
"further Ducato from Milano"

I have not read the update for grammar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Quondam
Italy
Roma
Roma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eheheheh, next year we will made a game so: find the typo!
anyway, we will correct any segnalation

ciao
michele

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
micheleq wrote:
eheheheh, next year we will made a game so: find the typo!
anyway, we will correct any segnalation

ciao
michele

Half the books I own have at least one typo in them. It's a truism of the publishing world that it's easier to find typos in other people's work than in your own. (Not an excuse, just an observation.)

Jim: thanks for finding those. Hopefully, that's the lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus E.-L.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ekted wrote:
luniki wrote:

Yes.

So according to the new rules you may interact with the zones before and/or after your movement. The "or" is not exclusive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luniki wrote:
ekted wrote:
luniki wrote:

Yes.

So according to the new rules you may interact with the zones before and/or after your movement. The "or" is not exclusive.

The update doesn't even mention interacting with zones.

You can perform five actions from the list, in any order. Movement is one of the actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziegreich
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's clear you cannot move somewhere, use the ability of that space and then move further. That leaves two questions:

1. Can you use the ability of a space where you start the turn, then move, then use the ability of the space where you end up? (I would think the answer is yes.)

2. What if you move somewhere and then back to where you started... can you gain knowledge points from that same space again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanno Girke
Germany
Schwabenheim an der Selz
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZirkvandenBerg wrote:

2. What if you move somewhere and then back to where you started... can you gain knowledge points from that same space again?

No. THat's why you place one of your markers afte visiting a space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanno wrote:
ZirkvandenBerg wrote:

No. THat's why you place one of your markers afte visiting a space.

Visiting a space, or using a space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.