Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Axis & Allies Pacific 1940» Forums » General

Subject: Serial number on the boards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if these boards have serial numbers, and why. On the back of the Western map my board has a 92731. I originally thought that it might be a date code, but now I'm thinking that it's a serial number.

It would make sense Hasbro printing 100,000 boards for the initial run.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
I'm wondering if these boards have serial numbers, and why. On the back of the Western map my board has a 92731. I originally thought that it might be a date code, but now I'm thinking that it's a serial number.

It would make sense Hasbro printing 100,000 boards for the initial run.


It's much more likely it is a part number. While it may be obvious to us gamers that the east and west boards are different the assemblers at the factory probably go by part numbers.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a thought, but then I'd expect to see a similar marking on the 2nd board. There isn't one there.

Also if it was a part number it would be much likelier for it to be a decal or painted on the artwork rather than imprinted by stamping.

Of course they could tell the assemblers to add one that has a stamp and one that doesn't but that seems relatively ad hoc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
That's a thought, but then I'd expect to see a similar marking on the 2nd board. There isn't one there.

Also if it was a part number it would be much likelier for it to be a decal or painted on the artwork rather than imprinted by stamping.

Of course they could tell the assemblers to add one that has a stamp and one that doesn't but that seems relatively ad hoc.


Well, I found the part numbers, they are on the front. The maps are 540217450000001 and 540217450000002 (it's on the front). So the question is what is the number embossed on the back. It can't be a serial number because my board also has 92731 on it. Curious now, I looked at A&A Europe and it has a number similarly embossed on the back, but this time it's 01631. My copies of A&A 1942 and A&A Guadalcanal don't have anything like it on their maps. It's a mystery.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The produciton engineer (me) has two ideas for what it could be:
It may be a number to identify the employee who approved the board in quality control. (then we know who should be fired).

Alternately it could be a batch number for your production run. Perhaps used to pair map boards so you get similar colour shades. If the latter is the purpose they failed horribly in my copy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ozimek wrote:
The produciton engineer (me) has two ideas for what it could be:
It may be a number to identify the employee who approved the board in quality control. (then we know who should be fired).

Alternately it could be a batch number for your production run. Perhaps used to pair map boards so you get similar colour shades. If the latter is the purpose they failed horribly in my copy.


The available evidence suggest that it may not be the second possibility because the number is only stamped on one board of the pair and I would assume you'd need it on both in order to match up your lots. So maybe your first suggestion is the right one. Still, usually don't they just throw a small slip in the box to serve that purpose? Embossing the board seems a little too permanent and expensive for that purpose.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salty Skwib
United States
San Miguel
California
flag msg tools
badge
Should I eat the Cuttlefish and Asparagus or the Vanilla Paste?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer55 wrote:
autumnweave wrote:
That's a thought, but then I'd expect to see a similar marking on the 2nd board. There isn't one there.

Also if it was a part number it would be much likelier for it to be a decal or painted on the artwork rather than imprinted by stamping.

Of course they could tell the assemblers to add one that has a stamp and one that doesn't but that seems relatively ad hoc.


Well, I found the part numbers, they are on the front. The maps are 540217450000001 and 540217450000002 (it's on the front). So the question is what is the number embossed on the back. It can't be a serial number because my board also has 92731 on it. Curious now, I looked at A&A Europe and it has a number similarly embossed on the back, but this time it's 01631. My copies of A&A 1942 and A&A Guadalcanal don't have anything like it on their maps. It's a mystery.


I have the answer. Adding up 92731 + 01631, you get 94362. Adding those digits together, 9 + 4 + 3 + 6 + 2 = 24. Yep…… 24.

This pretty much leads to only one conclusion:
The A&A Global game is approved by Jack Bauer.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.