England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya,

We're starting a public game club in York UK to play german games and the like. The club is called Beyond Monopoly (thanks to all the people who have already used this great name!) and the first meet is this Saturday 19th February 2005 at Guppy's. Entrance is £2.80 all day, doors open 10.30am and close 5.30pm. There is a licensed bar.

We plan to meet every 3rd Saturday of the month, as guests of the York Wargames Society, until we get enough regulars and then we'll get our own day.

Guppy's is at 17 Nunnery Lane, York, opposite the car park. It's close to the railway station or the Odeon, only a minute's walk down Nunnery Lane, just a few minutes from the railway station and loads of buses too. There isn't an obvious sign, but the windows still have the old pub name Britannia Arms. If you go past the car park, then you've gone too far. Did I mention the licensed bar?

You don't have to spend all day there, just drop in when you like and play some games, then slope off and go shopping or whatever. If you are staying all day, bring some food, but please NO CRISPS! cry They are death to board games, nothing greasy puhlease. cry Bring your sandwiches or fruit or cake instead. mmmmm cake

And if you already own some german games, then please bring some along. And bring your partner, family, neighbours, congregation too.

If you need any more info, drop me a message.

See you on Saturday!
Cheers,
Jon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lloyd
United Kingdom
Penmaenmawr
Conwy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jon
Good to hear of a new 'club' for boardgaming in the UK. Hope it goes well - it's a bit of a trek from NW Wales, so I doubt I'll make it, but 'good on yer mate' to coin a phrase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
map
Here's a simple map of York. Nunnery Lane is bottom leftish, parallel to the river Ouse.
http://www.thisisyork.co.uk/york/fact_file/citycentremap.htm...

Guppy's is halfway down Nunnery Lane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Southy
United Kingdom
Nuneaton
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Luck!
Best of luck mate! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
[Clubs]
Good luck to you all and have fun.

PS, I notice this thread was 'pinned'. Maybe time for a 'Clubs' tab, eh Aldie?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mulan Wong
Taiwan
Zhonghe District
New Taipei City
flag msg tools
The mushroom of course.
badge
One side of what?
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...
Great! I have received an offer to study at York, and I was seriously wondering about the quality of my life of recreation should be in that wet and cold place (well compared to Taiwan, anyway). Now there is a boardgame club! Hurray!! If I decided to go to York, I will definitely go and vist you, that is if you don't mind.

Mulan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
success
Well I'm back home now and the first session of Beyond Monopoly was a success. 11 adults and 7 kids and a good time had by all. The next session is on Saturday 19th March 2005 and we'll be in bigger rooms, and then the one after that is 16th April 2005 and we should be in a huge room.

I took 4 boxes of games, way more than we needed, but it interesting to see what people played and looked at. Streetsoccer went down very well, as did TtR, Mississippi Queen, TransAmerica, DdW, Metro, Memoir 44, San Juan, Labyrinth, Carcassonne. I got to play Murder In The Abbey, and we had a couple of big games of Werewolf too. A very good start and we will grow. I've written a good short flyer and we're going to find more ways to promote the club.

Mulan, if you do come to York, please get in touch. We can find you a game group very easily.

Cheers,
Jon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dawson
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
feb 19th
Jon it was great- My son George has already asked about the next session and arriving earlier. See you on the 19th.

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Just to confirm...
Crisps = Chips
Chips = Fries

Yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Smith
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a fun day
Jon

Thanks for organising a great day. Really enjoyed it and got to play three new games (well, new to me). Thanks to everyone who came along and made it such a fun, positive experience. Werewolf with 14 players was a good laugh. Keep up the good work and I certainly hope to be there on March 19th.

All the best
Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
correct
Go to head of the class Isaac, both correct. And both are banned!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in '91 I lived in Alnwick for 6 months on an international studies program. We had a field trip to York. What a great little city with a lot of character. When my family came to visit me, I made sure to bring them there. So much neat stuff and history to see.

Is Granny Batty's Yorkshire Pudding Emporium still open? That was my favorite new food and favorite restaurant in the UK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
er...
I don't think I've seen Granny Batty's Yorkshire Pudding Emporium, but I've lived here only five years. I'll ask around. Bettie's Tea Rooms is as popular as ever, queues round the block.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Richardson
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't resist...
Congrats on the first meeting.cool

But, must I be the one to say it??

Yorkshire Geeks- "Get thee to a nunnery"(Lane, that is.)

DougOR
And drop the crisps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
litho chong
Taiwan
Hsinchu city
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad it is in the North....
That's an exciting news....just that it is in York, not in the Southampton.soblue

Too far for me to go up there.

But, I will certain go there if i have the chance to go to York!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.