dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn 1: Across the Fords of Isen
Saruman: position 1; Fate: 1f (Fate = 1; + 1 ent)
FP dice: W W P H; SP dice: C / M H A C P .

•Battle of East Fords: (SP 3 hits; FP 3 hits + L)

Turn 2: Conquering the West Marches
Saruman: position 1; Fate: 2 (Fate = 3; Treebeard ready/enters)
FP dice: C C C M; SP dice: C / C P E E E

•Battle of East Fords II (FP 2 hits; SP 4 hits)
•Battle of Deeping Coomb I (SP 2 hits; FP 1 hit)
•Eomer raid of East Wall (FP 1 hit)
•Battle of Thrihyme (SP 6 hit; FP 1 hits)

Turn 3: Ents rage on the Mordor Orcs
Saruman: position 3; Fate: 2f (Fate = 5; + 2 ents; Eomer ready/enters)
FP dice: W C M M; SP dice: C C C / M H H A

•Ent Attacks in Entwash Vale: 9 hits (4+4+1) [so much for boats and rafts]
•Battle of West Entwade (SP 4 hits; FP 7 hits + L)
•Battle of South Westemnet I (SP 4 hits; FP 1 hit)

Turn 4: Ents rage, but Eomer can’t save Rohan Plains
Saruman: position 3; Fate: 1 / 2f (Fate = 7; + 2 ents; Aragorn ready/enters)
FP dice: W W W P H; SP dice: C C C / M M H H

•Ent Attacks in South Westemnet II: 11 hits (2+3+3+3)
•Battle of Upper Snowbourne (SP 3 hits, FP 0 hits) [Eomer dead]
•Battle of Harrowdale I (SP 2 hits; FP 3 hits)
•Battle of Westfold (SP 2 hits; FP 0 hits)

Turn 5: Theodred falls but Edoras holds
Saruman: position 3; Fate: 2 / 3 / 0 (Fate = 7)
FP dice: C C P P; SP dice: C C C / M P P P E

Note: The FP desperately wanted to draw a fate tile with ents so he went for it. Of the 10 tiles in the pool, 3 were ents, but the two special shadow 0 tiles were also in the pool (1,1,2,3,3,1f,Xf,Xf,0,0). Thus, if the FP keeps drawing for ents, the chance for an ents tile is 55%, whereas the shadow tiles come up 36.7% of the time. A bold gambit, but it didn't quite work out for him.

•Battle of Deepening Coomb II (FP 0 hits, SP 3 hits)
•Battle of West Dike (SP 1 hit, FP 2 hits) [Theodred dead]
•Battle of Folde (SP 3 hits, FP 0 hits)
•Battle of Harrowdale II (SP 4 hits, FP 7 hits)
•Battle of Harrowdale III (FP 4 hits, SP 3 hits)
•Battle of Edoras I (SP 4 hits, FP 10 hits)

Turn 6: Aragorn and the East Marches fall
Saruman: position 1; Fate: Xf (Fate = 8; + 2 ents; Gandalf ready)
FP dice: C C C P; SP dice: C / H H A A C P P

•Battle of South Westemnet III (SP 2 hits, FP 0 hits)
•Battle of Edoras II (SP 5 hits, FP 6 hits) [Aragorn dead]

Aftermath: The Ents temporarily staved off the Isengard onslaught, but a surgical strike killing Eomer tipped the balance back towards Saruman. Then the extra Shadow Action dice and lack of Rohan reinforcements prove too much as Rohan falls. At game end, the Free have only a single archer remaining in the Hornburg (and 3 ents still in West Entwade), while Saruman has only has a few scattered troops in Deepening Coomb(4), South Westemnet (4 w/ 3 damage), East Entwade (3 w/ 3 damage), East Fords (2), and North Dunland (2). So much death and destruction.

As always, great fun! Really, the battle scenarios are just as much fun as WotR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the report style, I might copy it for my next report.

This game was truly fantastic. Things looked bad for me from the start until turn 4 when the Ents were unleashed. They smashed into the orcs that had crossed the river by boat and prevented them devastated the regions near Edoras. I think it went to my head a little as I got a bit Ent fixated, drawing too many tiles to get more and ignoring Eomer who promptly got removed.
Dave then turned the game around again despite another Ent attack and battle after battle was won ultimately taking Edoras with pretty much the last remaining forces available for both sides. A really dramatic game full of fun battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game really had some momentum changes. I think that's one of the reasons I like wotr and the battle games. I really can't think of any other games that have more changes in who is ahead.

Saruman's armies stomped through the countryside, nearly unopposed for the first couple of turns (at one point, FP had rolled only a single "6" while rolling 11 and 12 "1s" and "2s" respectively). Then for 2 turns the Ents romped and I thought I wasn't going to have any armies left! Then with the FP's loss of the Eomer die while the SP got 2 more action dice, the SP was able to pick off the remaining FP armies before they got organized, and before Theoden and his reinforcements were able show up. I barely had enough troops and if it wasn't for the 3 Gather and Muster cards (place/flip one recruit in an existing army), I likely couldn't have done it. I basically had 2 armies left at the end.

Speaking of G&M cards, there were 17 battles and the SP had terrain superiority in 9 of them (9 generic event cards), while the FP had tsup in only 4 (and 4 were tied), so the SP drew 5 more cards. Neither player drew cards, and I think these extra cards might have made the difference. In addition, I played 2 story cards that gave me troops, both of which ended up in key battles.

Oh, and one other notable point, there was very little rallying. I think I only did it a couple of times as did the Free. Some games it's fight/rally/fight/rally but this was not that game. There just wasn't time or the dice to spend rallying when there was positions to take and guys to kill....

Great, great fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.