Subject: What would be the best and most beautiful game to play between 2? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
leo huertas
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Hi guys. I've read forums for the last 2 months and find them really amazing and i think you guys are the best to answer my question.

After willing to play something else after quiting MTg for time and huge money issues some friends and I found settlers, then well. We've played some games that we really enjoy. My wife was really bad at these games first but after she started winning it's been something really new and good for us.

Next week is her birthday and i want to get her a game that is nice to play but also (this is the tricky part) nice to look at or maybe with nice pieces to enjoy the art. she likes themes and also sea creatures and everything that look beautiful on the table, that keeps her attention on the game and doesn't get as bored as she gets with chess.

I know this is strange but hope you tell me something i can really use for her birthday.

She enjoys settlers, alhambra, doesnt enjoy dominion but get the tematic really well and puerto rico had a little bit too many rules and we've just played once.

Thank you guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all . . . are you getting her a game for her birthday, or you a game for her birthday?

I just opened Forbidden Islandand gave it a couple plays tonight. Co-op game, seems like it will be a lot of fun with a lot of replayability. The components are really very nice. The tiles all have different artwork, and the treasures have four unique sculpts.

I think that Key Harvest has really beautiful artwork and components as well. Can be had for a nice price on Amazon. Is a step up from settlers.

Those get my votes for good two player games with nice components that won't need piles of expansions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since she likes sea creatures perhaps Reef Encounter
For a good 'safe bet' 2 player with beautiful art look into Lost Cities or look into other Kosmos 2 player games http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Kosmos_two-player_series they have another game called The Reef has an sea creature theme but has a lower rating in the Kosmos series though some voice in the threads its just very underrated on the geek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played it myself but I hear very good things about Day & Night.

You could also check out Onirim as a nice additional extra. It's small, fairly cheap and is a 2-player co-op with nice art. Very interesting game and one that my wife seems to like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Day & Night does indeed look very good on the table, and has great gameplay. The only downside is that the game length is a bit unpredictable, it can last anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes. If you want, you can go the extra mile and paint two miniatures (I'm sure you'd find something suitable in Games Workshop stores, along the lines of these two) and make it even more beautiful.

Just adding, if I were to give my wife a board game for her birthday, she wouldn't be happy at all She thinks I have too many games anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland W. est. 1984
Germany
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i also would recommend day&night

also dungeon twister 2
or maybe i have another sense of beauty : the complete gipf games are absolutly fantastic looking in my eyes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Sim
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it doesn't have any sea creature theme, Agricola is a wonderful farming game for 2-5 especially when u buy the animeeples, vegemeeples and resourceeples to replace the cubes as well. It ranks 2nd on BGG and it is lots of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iron James Rackham
msg tools
mbmbmb
You could check out Cyclades.

It's a very nice hybrid game that plays well with 2-5 players (although with 2 it's more cut-throat since there's only one opponent to mess with). You have both euro-style mechanics - the main one being an auction for the favour of different greek gods, buildings play an important role - and some direct conflict.

The game (to me) is really beautiful to look at. And it's got some sea creatures too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check out Thebes...it plays very good with 2, has nice components and is dripping with theme...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nautilus

Looks good on the table. Not too hard. Beautiful. Deals with the sea. One of the designers was a woman. Plays great with two.

A smaller one that is colorful and pretty with sea creatures, easy rules colorful pieces is: Atlas & Zeus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife loves games but doesn't like them quite as much as me so buying a present thats a game is always difficult since I need to pick one thats high on her list rather than one thats high on my list, so I feel that out as best as possible but isnt' always the easiests.

The "best" one often varies by night or available time.

In the past fast ones like "Thurn and Taxis", "Lost Cities" and "Race for the Galaxy" saw the most play....though recently these have been losing a lot of play time to "Innovation" which is a really great game for two people where you can feel very competitive even when losing handily....though the theme is in my opinion ancillary to the game play so maybe not great since you said she likes theme

For longer games though we turn to "Power Grid", "Agricola", and then more recently for us"1960: The Making of the President"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Milner
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Jaipur offers nice artwork on the cards and counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
A very pretty game that works nicely with two and is quick and fun is Through the Desert. Got it last week and already have 5 plays under our belts

Other pretty & good 2p games include:

Mr. Jack in New York
Kahuna
Maori
Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikal
War of the Ring (First Edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
LIke others have said, San Juan is like "Puerto Rico light" and it's a good bet. My wife is a reluctant gamer, but she actually enjoys these games:

Lord Of The Rings: Confrontation (like Stratego with with LotR)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3201/lord-of-the-ring...

Roll Through the Ages: Bronze Age (superficially like Yahtzee)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/37380/roll-through-th...

Carcassone (one of the prettiest games out there)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/822/carcassonne

Ticket to Ride (colorful trains)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9209/ticket-to-ride
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
it doesn't fit the sea theme, but Stone Age has a lovely board with tons of fun little details. just nice to look at and explore while waiting for your turn, and it plays great 2player. plus, there's a great tactile feel to the components (the wooden dice and leather cup are thematically perfect and just great to hold).

Also, The Pillars of the Earth has an equally amazing board, and the cathedral pieces are lovely and fun to put together, especially if you doll them up (a great personal touch you could do for her birthday)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe my Topology is the right game for her.
It has verry short rules, you don´t have to think ahead verry far, but it´s still challanging to optimice your score every turn.
And isn´t it beautyful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really think Carcassonne is really one of the most beautiful games I've seen. I love everything about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll probably get pilled on for saying this.. but if she likes Settlers and Boats what about Seafarers of Catan expansion?

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tales of the Arabian Nights is quite fetching. Playing 2, in my experience, isn't a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taluva is nice looking and fairly simple... and not a bad game either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2 cents.
For a birthday her a "normal" present.
For a game let her choose one or make the choice together regardless of any need for a present.

I might be weird on this site, but I don't mix birthdays with hobbies - for friends perhaps, for kids of course, but with people who are close to my heart I prefer to receive and give something more personal.

I bought my GF a game for anniversary, nice pices, cute theme - sea animals: Aquaretto. But as gameplay goes we're not too fond of it. I'd say again, get her a nice gift. buy games together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reef Encounter is pretty, but if Puerto Rico had too many rules, I think Reef Encounter would be too much.

Archaeology: The Card Game has a sandstorm and thief similar to discarding cards when you roll 7 or the robber in Settlers.

Taluva is very nice looking, minimal rules, as long as it's not too abstract.

A Castle for All Seasons is very nice to look at, might be about right.

Forbidden Island is a cooperative game where you're trying to escape an island before it sinks.

I think Goldland would be great, but it's hard to find.

Livingstone has nice artwork and nice bits.

Stone Age would be a good fit as well.

Sunken City has a lot of direct confrontation/aggression, so that would have to be okay, but it has great artwork, and is about buildings sinking into the sea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Go:

http://bsixcentdouze.free.fr/tc/tgm-en/img/go.jpg

But it's not the easiest game to learn how to play. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.