Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Nicholls
United Kingdom
Redruth
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I could be playing solo a fair bit - still trying to get the family involved in all this - but am still a newb myself... I have Castle Ravenloft (Great!), but fancy a card game:

What I'm looking for, in no particular order:

* Lots of Theme - Fantasy based, not "cutesy" though
* Card equivalent of a dungeon crawl perhaps...
* Fighting / Confrontation
* Great Artwork on the cards; I want to get lost in the game atmosphere
* VERY simple to learn, but with bags of potential (the easy to learn, hard to master would be a good way of saying it). A good manual will help. I have a low patience threshold with learning new things; just being honest here guys...
* A game in itself; not requiring "expansion frenzy" in order to get a full gaming experience.
* Plays very well solo - I might be playing more solo than any other way

Thanks!

p.s. I'm in no rush - even new games coming out over the next couple of months I'd be interested to know about too, as long as they fit the criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would highly recommend Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord. A card based dungeon crawler, with good artwork, many expansions, is totally a card game, and is playable solo. Another good title to consider would be Thunderstone also card based and playable solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeoneer, for sure.
Or perhaps Anima: Beyond Good and Evil (less dungeony, but still very much fantasy).
Anima isn't solo though (but you can improvise)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agree Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord

i'm picking up Legendary Dungeoneer: Wrath of the Serpent Goddess
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
No good deed goes unpunished.
badge
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There's a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
mbmbmbmbmb
Island Of D

And the sequels. It does not have the good artwork you crave, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jey Legarie
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try dungeon crawler ccg. The starter is stand alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Weeks
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll toss in a second vote for the Thunderstone series. I just picked it up a few days ago and it's already a hit in my group. I have played a few solo games and found it to be fun. If you get a chance to give it a shot it may be worth your time as it seems like what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gandalftheking wrote:
Hi all,

I could be playing solo a fair bit - still trying to get the family involved in all this - but am still a newb myself... I have Castle Ravenloft (Great!), but fancy a card game:

What I'm looking for, in no particular order:

1* Lots of Theme - Fantasy based, not "cutesy" though
2* Card equivalent of a dungeon crawl perhaps...
3* Fighting / Confrontation
4* Great Artwork on the cards; I want to get lost in the game atmosphere
5* VERY simple to learn, but with bags of potential (the easy to learn, hard to master would be a good way of saying it). A good manual will help. I have a low patience threshold with learning new things; just being honest here guys...
6* A game in itself; not requiring "expansion frenzy" in order to get a full gaming experience.
7* Plays very well solo - I might be playing more solo than any other way

Thanks!

p.s. I'm in no rush - even new games coming out over the next couple of months I'd be interested to know about too, as long as they fit the criteria.

Citadels
At 6p+, I'd build to only 7 or 6 districts to speed up the game. Else, it can take up to 3 hours if players have even a bit of AP. FAST 2p to 3p game, and 4p to 5p is on the level.
1- You're building a city by placing and paying for district cards, but the cards fit htat fantasy theme
2- Natch. It's very "eurogame-ish" here. You're building to end the game with more pts than all our opponents.
3- No fighting. Just confrontation, as some of the roles you pick will steal a player's money, or cause him to lose a turn.
4- Artwork ain't half bad
5- It seldom gets simplier than this. Save for the most rules-challenged individuals, even nongamers pick this game up quickly, within a turn or two.
6- Game works great on its own. nowadays, the expansion comes with the US, Fantasy Flight Games version anyways.
7- If there is a solo variant, no clue if it's any good.

I'll "third" Thunderstone.
1- theme is definitely there. You recruit heros of various classes and races (e.g. Chalice Paladin, Lorigg Thief), buy items, spells, weapons, etc.

Mind you, it's not a Final Fantasy RPG video game shoehorned into card game. There are no maps, no caves, and villages walk around and explore. Your cards representing a bunch of things are either discarded or removed from your deck. There is a strength attribute to see if heroes can equip weapons, but there isn't say, a stat/attribute for magic immunity, and you don't keep track of each character's HP. Alot of things are abstracted and simplified. I never played D&D, but I'd imagine there are some similarities there.
2- CHECK. This game is regarded as a fantasy game and dungeon crawling with a Dominion mechanic
3- No confrontation, so to speak. You don't backstab each other. There are some cards that cause "negative interaction". For example, an effect that forces all other players to discard a card. There is fighting the monsters, but unless you're a bit short on attack and need to see if you'll draw the right cards when the time comes, you'll know beforehand whether or not you'll be able to defeat a monster. This is in the truest sense since you'll be able to see what's out.
4- Jason Engle's been pretty well reputed, and seeing many of the cards, I'll agree to that. In fact, I first learned this guy was the artist for the game, and THEN later on learned Mike Elliot was the designer! wow
5- v1.4 rulebook is available online and the latest printing of the game. If you haven't bought it yet, you'll likely end up with the updated stuff. Go through the rulebook, yhou'll be up and playing soon enough. Only issues are you get some niggling questions and corner cases which you'll want to refer to here on BGG for to ask or look up.
6- The 1st expansion adds a solid amount of mechanisms and new cards, but the base game is solid on its own. What isn't solid is the base game box. Cards can get shifted into other slots b/c they're just grooved. The expansion improves upon that with a more compact box that can actually fit more cards, and labeled dividers
7- The solo rules are available online. I hear it's quite tough, but still fun.

Will add more if I can think of any
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Spode
United States
Mount Airy
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo, Fantasy, Card Game - Hero: Immortal King – The Lair of the Lich
There are a like three of them.

Anima: Shadow of Omega is fun to but you probably need another player for it to be interesting. You could do solo though.

edit: Oh yeah, the Island of D series is popular but I haven't tried it yet.

edit 2: and Delve the Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.