Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Tikal #1 now. Any idea how to make it so? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

NT. Hong Kong
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It is the Billboard of our games now.meeplemeeplemeeple How to make games go up or down the chart?
just click on their page? click on the article? reply? add article? add picture? view picture? how? I would like to know.

I wonder if someone make it become the top of the list "in purpose", maybe just to fun? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff DeBoer
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reprint
There is a reprint of the game that was announced a couple of days ago, so everyone is checking it out to see what the game is all about because of that...it will pass....I too would like to know what exactly is counted for the ranking.....articles...clicks on title, sessions....etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Bonet
United States
Sunrise
Florida
flag msg tools
click on the page I believe. for "hot game"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

NT. Hong Kong
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
click on the page I believe. for "hot game"

Does it mean we can make any game as #1! That's cool!....wait a minute. That's not good.devil

If Hasbro, or any big firm learns that....
devildevildevilsauronsauronsaurondevildevildevil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Easton
United States
Casey
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shhhh........Cardchess International is listening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kelly
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The hot games for the day is just the most clicked game of the past day whereas the actual ranking are from the numbers geeks put in when the rate a game. Otherwise I would be worried that Hasbro or some such could do just that, tinker and distort the value (or lack thereof) of their game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really easy to track IP addresses for any request made to a website. A consistent pattern is very, very recognizable; that's how Google disables machines who try to overuse its services. (Denial-of-Service attack them, mostly.)

Yahoo, ebay, and Amazon all do this; Slashdot and K5 have both done this in the past; and BGG can do this as well. An IP address pattern is very easy to trace through the request logs.

And DoS is very likely to be actionable in court.

I highly doubt anybody like Hasbro *would* do such a thing, even if they thought it worth the effort. Because then they'd have to write a virus that would a) infect many computers, and b) use each computer across a wide set of IP addresses to set off a coordinated a low-level attack against the website---and that, dears, is too much effort and silliness, not to mention the legal issues here, to boost a game up in the rankings.

And by "actionable in court", I don't mean Derk and Aldie would necessarily have to sue. Their ISP would probably be very happy to do it for them, since such attacks often get out of hand and at least partly affect the ISP machines themselves.

No ninja sneak attack moves here. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel O'Connell
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Plus there is also the fact that the hot games top fifty doesn't actually count for anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. P. Harris
United States
flag msg tools
Also, doesn't only one click per day "per person" (per game) count?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The answer is that question is something even I don't know. Aldie, hereafter referred to as 'Tricky Biznitch,' has safeguards on the Hot Games list. It's difficult to beat it 'cuz we've had years to hone our current methodology. As I said, he's one Tricky Biznitch.

And for those of you following at home, the Tricky Biznitch wanted the pseudonym on his geek badge, but it doesn't really fit. I shall endeavor to persevere...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yegods
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Plus there is also the fact that the hot games top fifty doesn't actually count for anything.

i would have to argue that being in the Top Fifty for the day _does_ count for something. afterall, those are the first games seen when visiting the BGG main page. So maybe it's not good that we use this ranking system for the main page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S W E E T !
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
And for those of you following at home, the Tricky Biznitch wanted the pseudonym on his geek badge, but it doesn't really fit. I shall endeavor to persevere...

Oh, what a bunch of hooey.

Aldie can just whip up his own, SupaUbaGeekBadge, and make it as big as he wants.

I say, MAKE IT SO!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck I just keep that part of the Geek hidden (hit the little x in the corner of the box) So the only Time I know that there is a change in the Hot list rankings is when someone mentions it in a Journal :-)

robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.