Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Heroscape, I think I'll pass.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

NT. Hong Kong
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I have been searching for Heroscape and almost bought them.

However, just after watching those movies. I think I'll pass now.

Finally, it exposed itself as a combination of MageKnight and Warhammer. arrrh
MK - random game pcs, no painting needed, fast, mostly unique figures on table/collectible yukgulpshakearrrhzombieangrywowcoolmeepledevil
WHFB - nonrandam game pcs, gorgeous painting/means collectible as well, squad needed on table to play/meaning lots of duplicates on table

Both of this formulas means bagbagbagbag , I fell into one of those trap before, and I will not do it again.

I saw your tail at lastdevil. Thank God.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlike both of those, however, Heroscape is not collectable. You can get the base set for $40. That includes all the figures and terrain you'd really ever need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

NT. Hong Kong
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
Unlike both of those, however, Heroscape is not collectable. You can get the base set for $40. That includes all the figures and terrain you'd really ever need.

Don't tell me you do not want them all! devil
Remember Heroquest! Warhammer Quest! Something like that, at last you will buy them all. Good news is, their price went up high!bagbagbag

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, perhaps, that you do not quite grasp the expenditures one must embark upon when immersing in either Mageknight or Warhammer.

Both exceed Heroscape by many magnitudes, and it's a laughable comparison at best. But it's all one to me where spending limits lie---and who knows? Maybe it wasn't to your taste anyways.

Playing CCGs themselves do not mean that you have to follow with collecting them, if you've bought appropriate starters and have no wish to go further. Just so, buying the base set means you can stop there.

Unlike Mageknight or Warhammer, though, you only need the base set. Unlike many new CCGs, you can get by with the base set, while with many new CCGs not even a starter is enough to send you on your way.

People can take that how they will. And they can miss out on gaming opportunities whenever they will. It's not for me to say what is right for a person and what is right for another.

But sometimes the high road is merely a good excuse for not going over budget for the month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Don't tell me you do not want them all! devil
Remember Heroquest! Warhammer Quest! Something like that, at last you will buy them all. Good news is, their price went up high!bagbagbag

Remember MeCCG; many are satisfied with challenge decks. I was so for quite some time. I was satisfied with one booster box and the starters for CoC, but did not go further.

And price does not always go up. Gods know that enough of the stuff is being manufactured to be remaindered on shelves within several months.

And this isn't Heroquest. Somehow I can't really give that distinction to something that's being sold in Wal-Mart.

This is a tiresome rehash of an old but fashionable argument. But if it keeps you from spending money, good as gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape
Having been a consumer-member of the satanic cult that is Games Workshop in my youth I can hear where you are coming from but I really do think there is an odrer of magnitude difference here between WH and HS.

However I can see it being turned into something similar in the future.

Personally the main reason I bought Heroscape was because I though the terrain was really cool... I haven't even played it yet in the months that I've had it (why I insisted on airfreighting it from the US to New Zealand is still beyond me)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Swart
United States
Moscow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If she is smart enough not to fall into the trap...
Sorry Heroscape IMO, is another Collectible hiding behind it's glitter. While it is better than the clixs, it still at its heart is a mass market monster waiting to pounce on the gullible. I traded mine away. Might be fine for a pre-teen or a teenage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Sorry Heroscape IMO, is another Collectible hiding behind it's glitter.

Glitter is what collectability is all about, and many games that aren't collectible have "glitter".

Quote:
While it is better than the clixs, it still at its heart is a mass market monster waiting to pounce on the gullible. I traded mine away. Might be fine for a pre-teen or a teenage.

I'll take that as an affirmation of my wonderful youth despite my years, rather than an insult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

NT. Hong Kong
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I want it!
Quote:

Personally the main reason I bought Heroscape was because I though the terrain was really cool...

Actually I want the terrain as well. It could be used for any other figure game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a big difference between Heroscape and all the other games mentioned....

YOU CAN"T FIND THE FRICKIN EXPANSIONS ANYWHERE.

So it's not going to drain all of your money. Buy the base and you're done. Also, knowing Hasbro they will probably drop this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't see a problem ...
... but maybe I'm blind.

Since you normally play by drafting an army and all players can pick from the same pool, then what does a collectability aspect matter? I mean, if someone buys figures you don't have and wants to use them, then they are available for all of the players. [or have I horribly misunderstood something?]

Saying you don't want Heroscape simply because they are making more figures doesn't make sense to me. The fact that other boardgames make crappy expansions doesn't prevent me from buying the basic set if that is what I want.

The basic Heroscape game works just fine without any expansions whatsoever. You don't need additional figures, rules or terrain. They might make the game more interesting, colourful or whatever, but the game was not designed to ensure that players purchased expansions.

That said, I think Heroscape is a pretty boring game and I only pull it out when I really need a relatively mindless luck fest to kill some time or I'm with another player who just has to play it. Fortunately, it is short.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape Plus...
Once upon a time, I played Squad Leader. And as each (then called) "gamette" was published, I bought and played it. Eventually, Squad Leader morphed into Advanced Squad Leader and the process recycled itself. Cubed.

One day, I discovered I had more ASL stuff than I could ever play with. And, ironically, the more ASL stuff I bought, the less I played. It became progressively harder to find opponents who would play anything else BUT ASL. And as much as I liked ASL, I liked other games as well.

Finally, once my reasonable fun/cost ratio had been far outstripped, I chucked my ASL collection, much of it unused, for a song. Well, a few songs, anyway.

But I STILL liked the game. And while I could never see myself playing ASL again, I could imagine breaking out the basic Squad Leader game to play occassionaly. So I recovered a basic set relatively cheaply and that's PLENTY of Squad Leader for me!

Morale: It is possible to enjoy a game that also has expansions without falling into a money pit. You can do it with something as complex as Squad Leader-- or as simple as Carcassonne.

On the plus side, many pplayers have made up their own factions and armies and have posted their labors of love to this site and others. You can have a lot of fun beyond the basic Heroscape game and never buy an expansion set. Just note the stats of the armies you want to play with and (insert your spare figures from another game/toy box HERE).

I think folks are even posting the stats and powers of the figures from the expansions for those that want to try them out. So I see no downside to owning a basic set and just a basic set if you enjoy the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyman Hurd
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
two words...
Quote:
Heroscape, I think I'll pass....

Your loss!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

NT. Hong Kong
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:
Heroscape, I think I'll pass....

Your loss!

Don't say that!
It is not easy to say "pass" here.
My heart want to buy it!!devilthumbsup
though
My mind is telling me to stop.thumbsdown especially when I look at the boxes of "clixes", and tons of "metals" on shelf....

I am not sure what happen next......blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

That said, I think Heroscape is a pretty boring game and I only pull it out when I really need a relatively mindless luck fest to kill some time or I'm with another player who just has to play it. Fortunately, it is short.

Yes, there are much better reasons to hate Heroscape. "Collectible" isn't one of them, and not even in the running.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Glidden
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Irony
You own 259 games. I don't think it's a Heroscape addiction you need to worry about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Well Caroline, let's look at your top rated games.
Here is your complete list of games you ranked a "9":
Blood Bowl - Third Edition
Cosmic Encounter
Lord of the Rings
Middle Earth CCG and Expansions
Talisman 3rd Edition
Titan: the Arena
Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition
Warhammer Quest

Let's see. Out of the eight games you ranked...
...two are collectible games...
...seven are fantasy games...
...two heavily involve minis...
...seven have variable player powers...
...four have RPG elements...
...and five specifically involve sending little armies of surrogate warriors against one another.

Give in. You're hosed. Buy it now an save yourself the agony.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyman Hurd
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope I didn't come across as rude meeple. I myself held out until Amazon's original 2-for-1 sale. Then I went and ordered two so I am not sure that I "saved" myself anything, but at least I knew that in principal I could have sold the second copy (in practice I never let go aof a game once it is in my clutches...my preciousssss).

I cannot put my finger on why I like it so much because I do not hink it really fit my profile. I am mainly an abstract game fanatic although I certainly enjoy my share of Euros. I think it is basically because I like games with just enough rules to make the game interesting but not so many that one has to dive for the rulebook every two seconds. For me, Heroscape hit the right balance (of course it is probably way to simple for real miniature fans). Combined with this was the fact that to my taste it combines just the right amount of whimsy (I like games that do not take themselves too seriously). Any game in which you can say, "Eat flaming death, swamp creatures!" and have it be perfectly in context gets my vote.

On the downside while I did finally land the expansions (one at TRU and three at Fairplay), I found the effort it took extremely annoying (moresor than the cost).

Join the dark side...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
not missing much
Caroline,

You're not misssing much, IMHO. I had an opportunity to examine the basic set up close and personal recently, and was sorely disappointed. The terrain is definitely cool, and the best part of the game. The minis, however, were sorely lacking, especially considering the glossy photo spreads they advertise with! Mind you, I'm a minis wargamer so my standards may be a bit higher than most, but I was appalled by the thick globular paint jobs obliterating an already almost featureless model (the samurai in particular seemed sheathed in red goo!). While the "theme" of the minis may be cool (like those MiBs!) their execution is sorely lacking in detail and the Dragon was already losing some of his paint on his chest (this was esentially a brand new set-less than a week old), though whether that was due to poor initial painting or a few handlings was unclear. Haven't these guys heard of Dull-Cote? Spend your bread on some REAL minis instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The value of Heroscape IMO is that it's a simple game that a family can get into quickly and play together. The game is especially great for 6-12 year old boys and as long as you don't mind simple games...adults can have some fun with this as well. It certainly has a good theme component and I don't think it looks out of place on a shelf alongside PR,PoF and E&T...they all serve their purpose and suit different moods and groups depending on what people feel like playing that day.

The arguments that I have read are that it isn't a high quality mini-game,it's a money sucker(collectible in disguise) and that the strategic depth of the game is too low. I would answer that high quality miniatures COST $$$$...most have higher levels of strategic/tactical depth than HS but that's a turn off for many who have stayed away from any form of miniature gaming because of obtuse rulesets and the cost and time of purchasing and painting the characters. HS is an approachable door into miniatures that generates more interest for the whole genre and I'm sure some will move up to more involved systems once they get through the HS stage but for many I think HS is a good compromise as you get a good "quantity" of miniatures,decent if not great "quality" and a simple enough ruleset where you aren't analyzing a rulebook every 5 minutes which cuts down on the fun for many players.

As a parent I know I have gone into gameshops and our 8 year old has oohed and awed at the miniatures and then we see the extravagent prices on many...HS just seems like a much better bang for the buck.

The last argument is that the game is a money pit because you keep buying the expansions...well I think most here are addicted to buying games in general so having to buy all the HS expansions is just a reflection of our disease rather than a flaw of the game itself. The game is perfectly functional with just the 1st base set and at the price some are getting the base set at...$20-30 in many cases...I think it's a pretty decent value compared to what you get in many other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyman Hurd
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also enlist into service any miniatures you have about the house that look remotely the right size. There are sites that explain how to produce stats for everything up to and including spare salt and pepper shakers!

How about a Mimring emoticon? Or Grimnak?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

NT. Hong Kong
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:

Give in. You're hosed. Buy it now an save yourself the agony.

you such an devil!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.