Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Song of Blades and Heroes, and i like it enough. Can someone write a good comparison?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruarigh Dale
United Kingdom
North Ferriby
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Try this post on my blog for a comparison. It is not perfect but should give you an idea, and the comments from readers are of interest.
http://ooh-shiny-complex.blogspot.com/2009/03/song-of-blades...

If you want to know more about WHAA, there are other posts on the blog, or you could read some of the battle reports from our Talomir Tales campaign which uses WHAA for skirmishing and the much older Warrior Heroes set for massed battles.
http://talomir.blogspot.com/

Hope this helps,
Ruarigh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much.
Your blog was very clear, even for my bad english (while the other is too much for me), and if i can, i'd suggest to copy here that review, linking it with SoBH.

But your review also raised a question:
in which way WHAA allows co-op and solo games? Have it an "AI" system?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruarigh Dale
United Kingdom
North Ferriby
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WHAA has systems for dealing with solo play, including guidelines on setting up scenarios and how enemy figures will act in their turn. The rules also include a mechanism that defines the enemy force based on the strength of your own force. This means you can set up a game using one figure or fifty figures and still get a reasonable scenario using the rules. The reaction system that it uses helps with solo play because it causes figures to act in ways that you might not want them to, so you cannot always predict what your own side will do either. It is entirely possible for all players to be on the same side in a game, even without an umpire, when using these rules.

Where WHAA is weaker is that some people find the rules to be difficult to learn by reading because of the layout and the concepts. Setting up figures and playing a game as you read will help get over this. One other problem we have found in playing the rules as written is that high level figures become very powerful when faced by low level figures to the extent that the game could get a little boring. This is easily solved by house rules, such as giving the chief bad guy the same special abilities as a character, most importantly the Free Will ability.

Hope this helps,
Ruarigh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.