Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » General

Subject: Question about One Fist's special... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jovan Milojevic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When we start playing last night my friend who plays One Fist, first decide to play his hero ability this way: WHEN HE ATTACKS - HE ADD ONE RED & ONE GREEN DICE TO HIS ROLL!!! So he buy a sword which gives him one red, one yellow and two black dices & he roles one green (addition from hero ability) and after roll he roles another red (second addition roll from hero ability). This way almost every time he attack, he hit and would destroy his target, but after roll his second red (only one red is in the box) he always roll X, so miss... After few missed attacks we decides that we didn't play him right, so we figure out that he roll his ability roll after he first attack with his weapon. So his next attack was : Yellow, Red, two Black & after this if target is still alive he rolls Red & Green. We have another question right here... We plays 3rd quest in vanilla Descent, so in 3rd room we fight Nagas with 6 and 7 armor. Does he when he rolls his first attack (yellow, red, two black) and makes i think 7 damage, than roll second attack with hook (red & green) and count 'em like 7 from first roll plus 4 from second roll = 11 damage to Naga that have 7 armor, so Naga takes 4 wounds... Is this correct??? And finally my other friend (after read One Fists hero ability) figure out that One Fists additional attack add's another two black power dices to red & green because on the card writes that his second attack is melee and his melee threat is two black dices... What is right about this discussion??? I mean every time we plays, someone get hero with questionable ability, or draw skill that we can't figure out etc. Anyway this is great game and we love it , so i suppose that with this amount of rules and variability comes little confusion, but nothing that Descent gurus can't explain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic InyokaMadoda
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The key is in the wording of the ability.

Quote:
He may always make one Melee attack, rolling 1 Red and 1 Green die, in addition to his normal action.

This is a separate attack, which consists of just 1 red and 1 green die. No blacks. This is an additional attack, so if he is advancing, he can walk, attack once using his sword and make another attack with his hook hand.

If battling, he would get two attacks with the sword, plus a further attack with the hook.

If running, he moves up to twice his distance and then also can attack with his hook.

Hopefully that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jovan Milojevic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InyokaMadoda wrote:

Quote:
He may always make one Melee attack, rolling 1 Red and 1 Green die, in addition to his normal action.

This is a separate attack, which consists of just 1 red and 1 green die. No blacks. This is an additional attack, so if he is advancing, he can walk, attack once using his sword and make another attack with his hook hand.

If battling, he would get two attacks with the sword, plus a further attack with the hook.

If running, he moves up to twice his distance and then also can attack with his hook.

Hopefully that helps!

Thx dude!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic InyokaMadoda
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My pleasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
InyokaMadoda wrote:

Quote:

I don't know if I agree with the "no blacks" part. I think the 1 Red and 1 Green bit is just saying the base value of the attack. Since it's a Melee attack, I don't see why he wouldn't get his regular power dice for Melee.

Was there an official ruling to the contrary that I've overlooked?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a melee attack, so he does get to add his melee trait power dice, but since surges aren't spent on anything, only the enhancement (the +1Range/+1Dmg icon) adds to the attack. But still, +1Damage is nice.

Also note that this "free" attack can happen at any time during the turn. It does not have to happen after his normal attack.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic InyokaMadoda
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
This is a melee attack, so he does get to add his melee trait power dice, but since surges aren't spent on anything, only the enhancement (the +1Range/+1Dmg icon) adds to the attack. But still, +1Damage is nice.

Hmmm. Yep. I see what you mean. Although since the wording tells you what to roll, it can be argued both ways I think. I'm happy to go with rolling blacks in addition, especially since it will make very little difference

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InyokaMadoda wrote:
shnar wrote:

Hmmm. Yep. I see what you mean. Although since the wording tells you what to roll, it can be argued both ways I think. I'm happy to go with rolling blacks in addition, especially since it will make very little difference

Yes, and the wording also tells you it's a "melee" attack. In the rules, pg 11 it states:

Quote:
Melee Attacks: Melee attacks can only be declared
against adjacent spaces. However, a melee attack only
misses if a miss result is rolled. Range results are
ignored during melee attacks. When a hero makes a
melee attack, he adds a number of power dice to his roll
equal to his melee trait.

Notice the last bit, whenever you do a "melee" attack, you add the number of power dice equal to the melee trait. And, as you noted, that usually isn't that much damage, especially once you get Silver/Gold treasures when surges really pack a whollop.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic InyokaMadoda
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I agree with you Shnar and more than happy to stand corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek Kyzar
United States
Ponchatoula
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a 2nd go tonight and a friend picked One Fist. First couple of attacks we weren't rolling the black dice, but quickly figured it out. On top of the extra attack, he had Cleaving as a skill!!
So if we did it correct, One Fist gets 1 attack on a Run action, 2 attacks on an Advance action, and 3 on a Battle (as long as the the hook is melee)? Then on any of those attacks after he kills something, he can spend 1 fatigue and go again?

I know it was just a beginning dungeon and the monsters weren't overly tough, but jeeze that just seems too powerful. For that he just gives up the ability to use 2 handed weapons? In vanilla descent, the 2h melee weapons don't seem worth giving up the offhand or the shield so far.

Anyway, feedback is appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkyzar wrote:

So if we did it correct, One Fist gets 1 attack on a Run action, 2 attacks on an Advance action, and 3 on a Battle (as long as the the hook is melee)?

Sort of, yes. WHat he actually gets is 0 + 1 hook on Run, 1 + 1 hook on Advance and 2 + 2 hook on Battle, which is slightly different.

Quote:
Then on any of those attacks after he kills something, he can spend 1 fatigue and go again?

If cleaving yes, sort of. He must attack again immediately, doing nothing else in between (not even drink a potion). So in order for it to work he must move into a clump of monsters close together.

Quote:
I know it was just a beginning dungeon and the monsters weren't overly tough, but jeeze that just seems too powerful. For that he just gives up the ability to use 2 handed weapons? In vanilla descent, the 2h melee weapons don't seem worth giving up the offhand or the shield so far.

Anyway, feedback is appreciated.

It is not too powerful. He is a reasonable character, with both strength and weaknesses. Not top-of-the-line, but no slouch either.
It is a pretty big deal giving up the 2H melee weapons is you don;t draw any 1H melee treasures. He can still takes at the littel stuff, but he ends up almost totally useless against the big nasty stuff at the end. WHich is fine if you have another hero handling that, but bad if he ends up being teh one needed to do stuff.
And at 12/2 (and 1 less shield capability) for 4CT he is a bit expensive.
And has low fatigue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.