Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you click the green thumb-count number displayed along with an image (for example) you can see a pop-up box of usernames who contributed to the count. I think this system was created as a short cut to replace an older method that took a whole separate page and displayed the entire avatar and a date/time stamp marking when each thumb occurred.

For a couple of years that I know about that older method was still available, provided you understood how to type the code into your browser address bar on your own. But I am writing this note today because I just noticed (though I may not be the first) that it now works differently. The avatars have become miniatures and the Date/time stamp has been eliminated.

One can easily presume this is just one part of the much larger code revision which we've heard recently is taking place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Portugal
Lagos
Algarve
flag msg tools
I've been offline from BGG for the last couple of weeks, but I'll be back very soon!
badge
I'm that weirdo that keeps track of how many badges Kaffedrake has sold prior to yesterday
mb
For those that don't know what Tomello is talking about, here is an example: recommendations for MotM August, 2010 geeklist (and yes, the url is interesting )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Bail Organa wrote:
For those that don't know what Tomello is talking about, here is an example: recommendations for MotM August, 2010 geeklist (and yes, the url is interesting )

I thought it was EXTRA interesting until I realized that it's "REcommends", not "commends"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
For a couple of years that I know about that older method was still available, provided you understood how to type the code into your browser address bar on your own.

You don't need to type it! Put this link in your QuickBar, then click it whenever you want to see the who recommends page for the thread or whatever you are looking at:

javascript:(function(){url=location.href;pos1=url.indexOf('/',location.protocol.length+2);pos2=url.indexOf('/',pos1+1);pos3=url.indexOf('/',pos2+1);type=url.substring(pos1+1,pos2);id=url.substring(pos2+1,pos3);location='http://'+location.host+'/geekrecommend.php?action=whorecommends&itemid='+id+'&itemtype='+type;})();
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
TVis wrote:
For a couple of years that I know about that older method was still available, provided you understood how to type the code into your browser address bar on your own.

You don't need to type it! Put this link in your QuickBar, then click it whenever you want to see the who recommends page for the thread or whatever you are looking at:

javascriptfunction(){url=location.href;pos1=url.indexOf('/',location.protocol.length+2);pos2=url.indexOf('/',pos1+1);pos3=url.indexOf('/',pos2+1);type=url.substring(pos1+1,pos2);id=url.substring(pos2+1,pos3);location='http://'+location.host+'/geekrecommend.php?action=whorecommends&itemid='+id+'&itemtype='+type;})();

Intersting, this might be fun to play with. Although I noticed you can't see who recommended a specific post within a thread using that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyboy157 wrote:
col_w wrote:
javascript:(function(){url=location.href;pos1=url.indexOf('/',location.protocol.length+2);pos2=url.indexOf('/',pos1+1);pos3=url.indexOf('/',pos2+1);type=url.substring(pos1+1,pos2);id=url.substring(pos2+1,pos3);location='http://'+location.host+'/geekrecommend.php?action=whorecommends&itemid='+id+'&itemtype='+type;})();

Intersting, this might be fun to play with. Although I noticed you can't see who recommended a specific post within a thread using that.

Any java gurus / admins out there that can help with this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
You don't need to type it! Put this link in your QuickBar,
Yeah, well. I'm only half that sophisticated, so I had a QuickBar item to a placeholder, where I had to edit in the new item id number each time.

But for me the real issue is that I'm disappointed at losing the date/time stamp. Once in a while I was interested in seeing a history of something that took a long time to accumulate attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd guess that the date / time info is still in the database. So it might be worth posting this as a bug or a suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
So it might be worth posting this as a bug or a suggestion.
I expect it was intentional. It would seem to fit under the announced objective of streamlining the code, This item wasn't on a menu, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
monkeyboy157 wrote:
col_w wrote:

Any java gurus / admins out there that can help with this?

There is probably a more elegant way to do this with regex, and there may be other things that break this, but a quick fix would be to check if your pos3 is -1, meaning there weren't anymore /s and find the position of the # instead. That fixed it for posts at least, here is the updated js.

javascript:(function(){url=location.href;pos1=url.indexOf('/',location.protocol.length+2);pos2=url.indexOf('/',pos1+1);pos3=url.indexOf('/',pos2+1);if(pos3 == -1)pos3=url.indexOf('#',pos2+1);type=url.substring(pos1+1,pos2);id=url.substring(pos2+1,pos3);location='http://'+location.host+'/geekrecommend.php?action=whorecommends&itemid='+id+'&itemtype='+type;})();

Edit: I just did a quick check and this doesn't work for geeklist items. However, I can't figure out what the url should be for those, if anybody knows I can modify the js to get those to work as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sorry to keep hi-jacking the thread, but this now works for threads, thread comments, geeklists, geeklist comments, and geeklist item comments. I can't get it to work for geeklist items, because I don't know what the itemtype should be in the url. If anybody knows tell me and I can easily add it. Thanks again for pointing this out, it is a neat feature and something I'm sure I'll use quite a bit. Can the same be done for GG?

javascript:(function(){type = '';id = '';url=location.href;pos = url.lastIndexOf('#');if (pos >= 0){substr = url.substring(pos+1);type = /[^0-9]+/.exec(substr);id = /[0-9]+/.exec(substr);if (!type){end = url.lastIndexOf('/');start = url.lastIndexOf('/', end-1);type = url.substring(start+1,end);}}else{end = url.lastIndexOf('/');start = url.lastIndexOf('/', end-1);id = url.substring(start+1,end);end = start;start = url.lastIndexOf('/', end-1);type = url.substring(start+1, end);}location='http://'+location.host+'/geekrecommend.php?action=whorecommends&itemid='+id+'&itemtype='+type;})();
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent - it also works on images. Cross-posted to Tricks of the Geek.

I think the item type for a GeekList item is listitem - at least that's what the 'Insert Geek Link' menu uses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
Excellent - it also works on images. Cross-posted to Tricks of the Geek.

I think the item type for a GeekList item is listitem - at least that's what the 'Insert Geek Link' menu uses.

Thanks, it's updated now. I posted in that geeklist as well.

javascript:(function(){type = '';id = '';url=location.href;pos = url.lastIndexOf('#');if (pos >= 0){substr = url.substring(pos+1);type = /[^0-9]+/.exec(substr);id = /[0-9]+/.exec(substr);if (!type){end = url.lastIndexOf('/');start = url.lastIndexOf('/', end-1);type = url.substring(start+1,end);}}else{end = url.lastIndexOf('/');start = url.lastIndexOf('/', end-1);id = url.substring(start+1,end);end = start;start = url.lastIndexOf('/', end-1);type = url.substring(start+1, end);}if(type=='item')type='listitem';if(id && type)location='http://'+location.host+'/geekrecommend.php?action=whorecommends&itemid='+id+'&itemtype='+type;})();
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
col_w wrote:
Cross-posted to Tricks of the Geek.

See the More Tricks Geeklist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.