Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Cyclades» Forums » Rules

Subject: When exactly does 'Ownership' kick in? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan McCarthy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what led to my question, from our 3-player game;

> To win the game, Player 1 uses the Ares move to seize an empty, (& his 2nd), metropolis with a single Troop. Ends his turn.
> Player 2, using the 2nd god, buys the Harpy & picks off the lone Troop from the metropolis, leaving it empty again.

When does Player 1 take ownership of the island? Is it at the end if his turn, or the end of a 'cycle'?

Any help would be appreciated, as it will reduce the chances of the game ending in another argument, with the Kraken figure being brandished in a threatening manner.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When someone captures an island it is theirs. If the harpy removes the troop that doesn't change island ownership. That player would put a territory marker on the island to show it was still theirs.

Once an island has been owned by someone it is always owned by someone. There is no way to make an island non-owned.

BOb
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy W
United States
Wheatfield
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cardacarsh wrote:
Here's what led to my question, from our 3-player game;

> To win the game, Player 1 uses the Ares move to seize an empty, (& his 2nd), metropolis with a single Troop. Ends his turn.
> Player 2, using the 2nd god, buys the Harpy & picks off the lone Troop from the metropolis, leaving it empty again.

When does Player 1 take ownership of the island? Is it at the end if his turn, or the end of a 'cycle'?


You take ownership immediately. Bob's post has the correct sequence to follow if you lose all of your troops from an island.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cardacarsh wrote:

> To win the game, Player 1 uses the Ares move to seize an empty, (& his 2nd), metropolis with a single Troop. Ends his turn.


...and I totally missed this. You can't have an island with a metropolis that is unowned.

BOb
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
cardacarsh wrote:

> To win the game, Player 1 uses the Ares move to seize an empty, (& his 2nd), metropolis with a single Troop. Ends his turn.


...and I totally missed this. You can't have an island with a metropolis that is unowned.

BOb


...though it can be unoccupied...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
pilotbob wrote:
cardacarsh wrote:

> To win the game, Player 1 uses the Ares move to seize an empty, (& his 2nd), metropolis with a single Troop. Ends his turn.


...and I totally missed this. You can't have an island with a metropolis that is unowned.

BOb


...though it can be unoccupied...


True.. but you still have to roll the dice... if a metropolis is on it, the owner of the island does have +1 for the defense. So, you can't just take it by moving 1 troop to it.

BOb
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:


True.. but you still have to roll the dice... if a metropolis is on it, the owner of the island does have +1 for the defense. So, you can't just take it by moving 1 troop to it.

BOb


Really? So you just get the initial defensive roll and then you lose (assuming there is still one attacker left)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure you have to have at least one troop to get a chance to roll against invaders. I know the Minotaur requires another troop be present to get his bonus, at any rate.

I don't have the rules in front of me at work here, so I'll have to check later.

Cameron
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no rules online, but Universal Head's play summary says,

"If you land on an isle free of troops, you claim it without a battle, even if the isle has a fortress."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
I'm pretty sure you have to have at least one troop to get a chance to roll against invaders. I know the Minotaur requires another troop be present to get his bonus, at any rate.

This is not totally correct. An unoccupied island is defenseless, but the Minotaur can defend an island alone.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
There are no rules online, but Universal Head's play summary says,

"If you land on an isle free of troops, you claim it without a battle, even if the isle has a fortress."


Ah.. thanks for that. I should have checked the rules.

BOb
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
This is not totally correct. An unoccupied island is defenseless, but the Minotaur can defend an island alone.

Ah, you are correct.

Cameron
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
GSReis wrote:
This is not totally correct. An unoccupied island is defenseless, but the Minotaur can defend an island alone.

Ah, you are correct.

Cameron

No, you're not! A minotaur can't be the only defender and neither can a fortress. In short: no troops = no defense. No exceptions!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, he is right. If you look at the text for the Minotaur it says that you have to eliminate troops on that island first. Then, if you lose while defending another time, the Minotaur is destroyed. Edit: In other words, if you have troops and a Minotaur on the same island, losses have to be applied to the troops first. Minotaur gets to be last man standing...or I guess it would be last half-bull, half-man standing...

Cameron
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ungureanu
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes,Cameron is right.. The game designer confirmed rules confirm this
( number 15 )
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/522878/cyclades-faq-reviewed...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.