Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I would share the worst strategy I ever stumbled into to prevent other Burghers from suffering the same doom.

My openning strategy was to secure Holland and Utrecht and its cities to give me a solid income base before venturing out. My plan was flawlessly implemented, and all went according to plan. The only thing that went wrong was the plan was fatally flawed.

Just about the time that I secured these two areas disaster struck. Poised to branch out towards the trade towns a problem occured.

The Reformers started allegiance shifting the cities in my backfield. I felt comfortable thinking (subconciously) that I could just seige the cities, take them back, and spend the money to shift the allegiances back to neutral.

Are you seeing the problem here? As soon as I put that thought in my head, it occured to me I could only shift towards reform. Dohhh!!!

One by one I was forced to flee the cities as mobs of fanatical Reformers with pitchforks and torches roamed the streets. I came is so far behind that each other player at least doubled my score.

Don't let this happen to you. Your ally is only your ally in name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a common complaint by the Burghers.

You DO want the Reformers to grow, but you want them to grow in Koln, Brabant, and Utrecht. You don't want them to grow in Holland.

Often, we see the Burghers offering a deal - permenant safety in Leiden in exchange for no further growth in Holland. This is often in the Reformers interest, atleast early in the game. A single city in Holland, plus Utrecht is enough to get them on their feet, and off to the other places they want more.

Later in the game the Burghers can offer to help flip cities in Flanders, which sometimes buys the Reformers off until the end of the game.

Best,
-Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Makówka
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I played burghers too and I did the same... almost;) That strategy is good and quite intuitiv but You must remember that You can negotiate with all other players. You should make some deal with catolics or nobilities. Promise them something(whatever;P) and try to encourage them to pay for allegiance to prevent reformers achievements in Holland and Utrecht. Good luck!;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holland is often a pitfall for the Burghers as they try to eliminate all others from the Province and hold it all to themselves. Besides the typical Leiden deal, I often see the Nobility trying to get a foothold in Holland and they are a great faction for the Burghers to make deals with.

Keep in mind that a Reformer faction with control over several cities is a HUGE threat to everyone in the game, not just those factions they are taking the cities from. Work out some deals with the other three factions to keep the Allegiance table in check. They want to help the Burghers because it also helps them, but they want something in return from the Burghers for it naturally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody really wanted to talk to me in that game. I made some turn one deals with the Reformers and Nobility in Holland, Leiden was definitely part of the deal. But after that, the discussion kind of ended. Many times it is hard to make arrangements based on what I perceive is in our mutual best interests when interpersonal dynamics come into play.

I would have bargained more enthusiastically with the Reformers had I forseen the failings of my plan. He didn't want to talk deal, I more or less said "suit yourself" with a shrug. Not realizing that he would be back with a vengeance. He did win in the end. (In a rare two way tie).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.