Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: krmssn is a Nigerian spammer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie,

krmssn was just created, logged onto chat and then sent Nigerian spam via BGG mail to all three users on chat at the time - me, nnf1 and RooieKazooie.

Can you remove or suspend this userid please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert L
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Well she (?) hit at least us three. Here is the text if anyone is curious. AT first she came into geekchat and never said anything. That is not unsual but those people leave fairly quickly. Then we received the spam. I thought it was a joke. Ahh, my first Nigerian email scam. I have goosebumps.

Dear Sir,
Permit me to inform you of my desire to go into love/business relationship with you. I am SUSAN KOROMA, The first daughter of late MR. & MRS SIMON KOROMA of Sierra Leone. My family comes from the royal lineage, my father was a very wealthy GOLD and COCOA merchant who based in ACCRA, GHANA & ABIDJAN respectively, the economic capital of COTE D’ IVOIRE. His business associate on one of their business outings poisoned him to death.
My mother died on the 21st October 1994, and my father took me and my brother JOHNSON so special because we were motherless. Before my father’s death on the 22nd April 2001 in a private hospital here in ABIDJAN, COTE D’ IVOIRE. He sincerely called me by his bedside and told me that he had a sum of $12,000,000.00 (Twelve Million US Dollars) kept in a Security Company in here in AFRICA and EUROPE respectively. $7 Million USD (Seven Million USD) was deposited in a Security Vouch in Europe while $5 Million USD (Five Million USD) was deposited in Africa.
He also said that the Security Company does not know the real content of the Boxes because they were been deposited as family valuables and my brother’s name (JOHNSON KOROMA) was used to Deposit the consignment as his first son and also next of kin. He also told me that it was because of this wealth that he was poisoned by his business associates. That I should seek for a foreign partner in a country of my choice where I will transfer this money and use it for investment purposes.
I am honourably seeking for your assistance in the following ways;
(1) To assist us to retrieve this fund from the Security Company.
(2) To serve as a guardian to this fund since I am a girl of 25yrs and my brother JOHNSON KOROMA is 20 yrs.
(3) To make arrangement for us to come over to your country to further our education and to secure a residential permitin your country.
Moreover, we will be willing to forward to you by e-mail copies of the Documents with which the consignment was being deposited with the security Company and also discuss the sharing modalities with you as soon as you indicate your interest.
Waiting to hear from you soonest. Please contact me only on the e-mail address below so that we can discuss modalities about this transaction. Please You should also include your contact telephone numbers.
May God bless you as you decide to help us out.
Best Regards,
SUSAN & JOHNSON KOROMA
E-Mail: krmssn@yahoo.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did somebody call Cthulu?
a fairly funny reverse 'nigerian' scam:

http://www.geocities.com/steerp1ke/David_Ehi.html

it's a fairly story, but it's definitely worth the read

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
a fairly funny reverse 'nigerian' scam:

http://www.geocities.com/steerp1ke/David_Ehi.html

it's a fairly long story, but it's definitely worth the read

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone actually buy into this ridiculous scam anymore?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Chris-

Unfortunately, yes, to the collective tune of millions of dollars a year. Seems every few months I see another article pop up on the news wire about another fool who has lost large sums of money to these scammers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I and a few other Geeks received the same type of scam spam about 6 months ago, and when it was brought to Aldie's attention, the user was gone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grant
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My sympathies...
I get spammers every once in a blue moon on the Yahoo! group I manage for our local gaming club. They're not the Nigerian scammers, but a local company that runs a singles web site. They're so frickin' obvious, however, that it's pathetic. Every request for membership is a lame, general comment about, "I like to have a good time and meet people!" I feel like responding, "Come on, you nitwit! At least the Nigerian scammers put some effort into it.!" But, instead, I just flush them.

I'm no sheep...sheep

And I'm sure not giving them any wood...wood

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grant
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that's funny...
Thanks for the reverse Nigerian scam. Here's another person doing the same, but without the Lovecraftian twist:

http://archive.salon.com/people/feature/2001/08/07/419scams/...

I want my Cthulhu smiley!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
As an eBay seller, I sometimes get the "I'll-send-you-a-money order-that's-worth-more-than-the-goods-if-you'll-send-along some-of-the-money-to-another-party-to-which-I-owe-money-and then-keep-some-of-the-money-for-yourself-as-a-tip" scammers, as well as the "I-need-four-of-this-piece-of-equipment-immediately for-my-store-in-Africa,-I'll-send-you-a-money-order-if-you will-ship-immediately" types. Really gets my ire up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I see a potential theme here for a 'new' game. Something between Junta and Puerto Rico, with a little Pirates Cove thrown in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder why they used the BGG messaging system... it's so trackable. Ah well I will delete the user. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Christenson
Canada
Hay Lakes
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got me too, crazy.

Thanks Aldie! Why should you apologize?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Roth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A friend of mine works at a law firm that represents a major bank. One of their account holders in Wisconsin bought a sewing machine for $2,000 from someone in Nigeria off ebay. As it turned out, when the buyer went to pay, the seller told him he would send a check for $3,000 drawn on a Nigerian bank, and asked if the buyer would send him a check for $5,000 to cover the cost of the machine and the check the seller was making out to him.

The buyer took the check from the Nigerian bank to his bank, where he deposited it. The teller and bank manager told him that the check funds would be credited, but that the credit did not mean the check had cleared, and he should wait until it had before spending any of the money. Did he listen? Nope. Mailed a check to Nigeria that day. Now he's in court suing the bank because he's out $5,000 and still doesn't have his sewing machine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cheques
I too have come across the send "I send you a cheque, you send me cash" scam. I am a lawyer and have seen it a few times - one guy we are suing got a fraudulent cheque and the scam artist asked for part of the cash back, immediately of course. He sent the money, the cheque didn't clear of course and he was out a fair bit of money.

The key to remember is: wait until the cheque clears, could be several days or longer. If in doubt, consult the bank and/or a lawyer.

AND: if it sounds like you are getting paid good money to do basically nothing, then either you are doing something illegal or you are getting screwed. Some people just never learn that there's no such thing as a free lunch or that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Quote:
I wonder why they used the BGG messaging system... it's so trackable. Ah well I will delete the user. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Take it as a compliment -- BGG is high-nough profile, with a large-enough user base that it's worth a spammer's time to go fishing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I forgot to add above that I'm really waiting for the "I'll-send-you-a-large-money-order-for-equipment-and-you-hunt-me-down-and-punch-me-in-the-mouth." type-deal. That's something I could really get into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I wonder why they used the BGG messaging system... it's so trackable.

They're idiots?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen
United States
Ferndale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This site is funny
http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

No apologies necessary Aldie. If someone wants to go to the trouble of registering, checking who's on chat and then BGG message spamming us, I would hardly consider it your fault! (I'm assuming someone hasn't bothered to write a bot to do all that - if they have Grog must be getting innundated meeple )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Li'l Ronnie Post
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Careful..
Quote:
I forgot to add above that I'm really waiting for the "I'll-send-you-a-large-money-order-for-equipment-and-you-hunt-me-down-and-punch-me-in-the-mouth." type-deal. That's something I could really get into.

You and me both, Skelly.. but better to leave it to the pro's*. These aren't all your run of the mill lusers - some are gangs, and there have been lives lost when victims have gone to complete the deal in person. Boggles my mind too, that some still fall for this - but then greed is a very common human failing.

I hear 419ers have expanded into IM'ing and even phone calls!

*(sound of safety being switched off)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duh?
What idiot anywhere would want to buy a $2,000 sewing machine off of eBay, whether it's from Nigeria or Newark? wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.