Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Poskin
United States
Sauk Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturday afternoon my wife Deb said to me “I think we can beat that game, do you want to play it again?” I said sure as I hurried to set it up. We again decided on random heroes so I got the paladin and she got the wizard. As I set up the game we talked about how we were going to play this one. We did not want to get beat by the taint again so we planned to keep it low somehow.
We rolled to see who would go first and I won, which is highly unusual for me. I went straight for my first quest a got it and that gave me two extra actions a turn. Deb got to her location for her first guest and failed the rolls for it. Now I was really worried, Deb rolls good dice and I roll horrible dice and here I have made my first two rolls and she failed. I was thinking we were in for a long game.
After several turns went by we had 4 taint markers on the board and I had made an effort to keep the red minions off the board. Still my hero cards were good 2 specials and 5 Blue and a black, red and Green. Deb used a couple of hers for moving and spells but still had 3 Blue and 3 green left. Here is where the one rule question came in. I visited the Inn and called Blue and got one giving me 11 cards. Do I have to discard one now or later in the turn. We looked in the rules and couldn’t find a clear answer but decided that on page 10 it states under Evening that you draw 2 cards and then discard down to 10 that you could keep the extra until then. I would like any comments on what you all think on this.
I used the inn a second time and called Blue again and got another blue card. As I had completed a quest that allows you to move 2 heroes anywhere and not count it as an action we went after Sapphire. As the gentleman I am I let Deb roll first and she got 2 hits, and then I finished Sapphire off getting one more hit then I needed. So one down 3 to go but we now draw 2 Darkness spread cards a turn.
Deb’s next quest required her to kill 6 Green minions and so she went to work on that and I move to get the Amazon’s to help us. I rolled a 4 and removed the minions then drew my cards. Oh no Lord Balazarg moved twice. Now only 2 spaces away from us losing the game. We went of work on getting red cards and killing the undead minions who were growing fast. As luck would have it now Deb had a handful of hero cards and most were black and no red. I had a good mix but not many of any one, but a great special (Keep one general from moving).
Well Deb went to the inn and to my surprise call black and drew a black and a red card which she had to discard. A grunt from me but she did it again and drew another red and green card discarding them both. She moved onto Varkolak and summoned me there with a quest card and challenged him. Our total was 11 dice with no rerolls. In order to get even she let me roll first and I only got 2 hits. She however found her lost good dice rolls and got the needed 4 hits to finish him off. Two Down and Lord Balzarag still 2 spaces from us losing, and Gorgutt still at his starting spot. We had worked on the taint and still had it at 5 on the board.
Over the next 2 or 3 turns nothing major went wrong, I did draw to get Lord Balazarg to move but canceled it with the special card. My next two turns were great as both of my first darkness spread cards we All is quiet followed by one of the 2 dead generals moving so no new minions and no movement great for us. Now we had the cards in hand to challenge Gorgutt, which we moved to do. I got there first and cleared the space and on her turn Deb moved in. She challenged Gorgutt and rolled her 8 dice, GASP!!! 4 ones and only 1 hit where were her great dice rolls. My quick action saved the day as I played the special card that let you reroll all of you dice. She rolled 5 hits and no ones on the second roll. That was close as I had gotten 3 hits on him when I rolled my dice. Three generals down and one to go for the win. Lord Balazarg still 2 away, taint at 6 and no large amount of any one minions on the board. Looking good so far for us.
We both traveled to an inn to try and get more red cards. Soon we had what we needed a total of 12 dice against Lord Balazarg. Then he moved one space closer to Monarch City. We moved in for the kill. At this point I didn’t care who would win and long as it wasn’t the game. We both got to him and attacked, I had 2 cards with 2 dice each and of course I rolled ones for both of them. Leaving us only 10 dice to attack Lord Balazarg with. Deb rolled and got 5 hits and I got 1 and we WON!!!!!!!!!

I hope that the extra cards did not taint this win. I am sure having the paladin with the extra actions and able to move 2 spaces with his horse helped a lot. Deb having the Wizard and able to kill minions easier help a lot with the win. We are now planning a third game so we can be ahead of the game. We will use random heroes again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpozsr wrote:
I visited the Inn and called Blue and got one giving me 11 cards. Do I have to discard one now or later in the turn. We looked in the rules and couldn’t find a clear answer but decided that on page 10 it states under Evening that you draw 2 cards and then discard down to 10 that you could keep the extra until then. I would like any comments on what you all think on this.

You played it correctly. Some people discard to 10 whenever they draw as a house rule to make the game tougher.

jpozsr wrote:
Deb rolled and got 5 hits and I got 1 and we WON!!!!!!!!!

I hope that the extra cards did not taint this win.

Congratulations! It sounds to me like you won it fair and square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good report John, lots of detailed information. Great work on the win, it sounded very exciting. I am looking forward to playing this soon.

If you don't mind, can you please add some more paragraph breaks to your reports? For old people like me, all the words run together into one consolidated mass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice win. You definitely played the discard rule correctly.

Against Balazarg, if you started with 12 dice and lost 2 cards each with 2 dice, you would be down to 8 dice. I suspect you had more than 12 dice to start, else you rolled 6 hits on only 8 dice! (possible, but not likely)

Having the Wizard is key when only using two heroes. Also, getting the Boots of Speed early was critical. That helped me win my one (and only) 2-hero game.

Your wife made the right call when she went for black cards at the Inn. Players need to fight with the cards they have. Otherwise, you'll waste too many turns trying to collect red, when you already have a mittful of black. Besides, just because Balazarg is halfway to Monarch City doesn't mean he's going to move anytime soon. (Or maybe he will) ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poskin
United States
Sauk Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You were correct on that, we had 12 dice after I lost the 2 cards.

Thanks for all of those who answered my game question.

We are looking forward to game three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great win and sounds like a fun game for you both - congratulations!

Thanks - Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.