Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike D
Thailand
Bangkok
Please choose a state
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm finding the luxuriously produced new version of Sergeants to be a terrific game for introducing my son to hex and counter wargames. Adding those little first aid kits into the box was a cool idea cool

But we have found ourselves getting stuck on a few rules here. Can anyone help clarify these statements on Pin placement and removal from the latest rulebook?

====

In Combat under section 10.1.3
• If the firing unit’s modified die roll is more than the
target unit’s but less than double, then the target unit is
pinned. Put a PIN 1 marker on the target if it is Side 1’s
Turn or PIN 2 if it is Side 2’s Turn.

====

Then, back to the turn sequence in section 4.

4.3 SIDE 1 TURN: The players on Side 1 take their turn.
At the end of their turn they remove any PIN 1 markers
in play and place up to two Overwatch markers on units
capable of Overwatch.

4.4 SIDE 2 TURN: The players on Side 2 take their Turn.
At the end of their Turn they remove any PIN 2 markers
in play and place up to two Overwatch markers on units
capable of Overwatch.

===

This seems to imply that Pin markers are removed in the same player turn that they are placed, which seems a bit unusual.

In our games we just decided to place a Pin-2 marker whenever a unit receives a Pinned result. At the end of a Turn (regardless of whose side), we first remove all Pin-1 markers, then flip the Pin-2 markers over to Pin-1. Isn't that basically the same intention, ie. the unit is pinned until the end of the next player's turn... or am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the end of "Side 1's" turn, they should remove any pin markers that were placed by SIDE 2 in the last turn. So if Side 2 inflicts a pin result on a Side 1 unit, that result lasts for the next Side 1 turn.

And vice versa.

The confusing part about the Pin 1, Pin 2 things is that the pins connect with which player put them down-- not what part of the turn it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike D
Thailand
Bangkok
Please choose a state
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thank you Kevin!

I was handling it a bit differently but sounds like we basically achieved the correct result. So a pin resulting from enemy fire essentially pins you through the end of your next turn.

If it's ok I hope you don't mind helping me out with a few more questions?

Q1: If one of your units receives a pin result from enemy overwatch fire during your turn... is that pin marker removed at a) the end of your current turn, b) the end of your opponent's next turn, or c) the end of your next turn? (We were doing (b) )

Q2: A Russian soldier is adjacent to a German solider which has been placed on overwatch. The Russian player decides to move into close combat with the German.
Can the German use his overwatch fire before this Russian soldier moves into his hex? If the German does not fire would he lose the overwatch capability due to being in close combat?

Finally Q3:
* The Firing while Pinned modifier on the Situation Modifier Chart is -2.
* The Close combat example on Page 7 shows a -1 Pinned modifier for the firing unit.
Was that a typo in the example, or is the pin modifier -1 for close combat?

Muchly appreciate your assistance - I think these were the only questions that came up in the first play-through.
We did find the LOS rules a little sticky at first, but it's easy enough to go on common sense once you get into the swing of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now see what you've gotten yourself into, bro? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike D
Thailand
Bangkok
Please choose a state
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I've gone and mistaken Kevin for coming from the LBG team have I?

My fault and no worries - I appreciate the feedback but these are only minor rulebook clarifications that will show up in a FAQ eventually.

For my Q2, I've realized I'd been doing close combat wrong - had been treating it like a separate phase after moving all units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.