Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: NYC Game Stores? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Brick&Mortar_Store_directories [+] [View All]
Alex Kalish
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm heading down to NYC tomorrow to see Cristo's Gates with my family... and I was wondering if anyone knew of any great boardgame stores worth checking out?? There have got to be some great place with hard-to-find/imported kind of stuff. I mean.... it is NYC meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When are you going? If the weather is nice I want to go Monday with my 6-year old son. Afterwards I was planning to go the the Marriot Marquis to get some hot chocolate in thei rotating restaurant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob, never realized you were so close to Manhattan. I'm two hours north of the city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Larkin
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, their is really only 1 place left in Manhattan that I know- Neutral Ground, 122 West 26th Street between 6th and 7th Avenues, 4th floor.

It specializes in collectible and RPG stuff, it seems, with a selection of Eurogames, but nothing hard to find at any of the standard online game merchants.

Failing that, you have the standard bookstore fare (sports-teams Monopoly editions, Simpsons and LotR trivia, some party games), and, I have heard, Forbidden Planet (a science fiction and comic book store, IIRC) has a limited selection.

But, by and large, I am afraid the options in NYC are Gamesurplus, ebay, Gamefest, Funagain, trades with other BGGers...

-kl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kalish
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ohh... thats too bad soblue I have actually been to NG and Forbidden Planet in the past, but had hoped there might be something a bit more boardgame dedicated. I guess I'll have to stick to online ordering.

I'm actually going to see the Gates tomorrow. Meeting up with some family that live in NYC and surrounding area. Should be a very good day. I've never seen any of Cristo's pieces in person before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Game stores in NYC
The Complete Strategist is around. On 33rd between 5th and Madison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Compleat!
I think what Adam meant is the Compleat Strategist:

http://www.thecompleatstrategist.com/

pay attention to their store hours, i remember something funny about sundays...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Yes, the Compleat Strategist is pretty good...and it's near the Empire State Building. I haven't been there in two years, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CS
The Compleat Strategist IS great, and even better than Neutral Ground. See two landmarks at once!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Teplin
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Compleat Strategist
I've visited NY twice in the last year and I remember being quite impressed with their selection, and the sheer number of games they were able to cram in a really tiny space. And it's right across the street from the Empire State Building, for us tourists!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gates
BTW, I'll be at The Gates tomorrow as well! it will be very crowded, be warned!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
11 East 33rd Street

I hope they have a Sale area. Everything on their website seem to be msrp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Faehnle
United States
Cincinnati
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
11 East 33rd Street

I hope they have a Sale area. Everything on their website seem to be msrp

AFAIK, they don't have a sale area. I buy a lot there, and it's not cheap. But then, people don't live in NYC because it is inexpensive...

The selection, however, is top-notch for the size of the place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I believe tomorrow is the monthly Chitkickers meeting. Lots of gamers crammed into a small room in the back.

Go on in and say hi. You might even know a few names.

Psst (he looks both ways) - they get a discount when they meet so ask one of them to maybe help you out.

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Crazy
My wife and I are making our semi-annual NYC trip this weekend! We'll be checking out the Gates and meeting her Dad to hang out for the weekend. I hope to be hitting the Strategist shortly after getting to the city (IMO it's one of the best games stores around) Saturday afternoon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Larkin
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D'oh!

I forgot about the Compleat Strategist. It would be a little more convenient for visitors to the city than Neutral Ground...

Sorry!

-kl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Shaver
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Ohboy...
NYC's last devoted Boardgame store closed last year.

Compleat Strategist and Neutral Ground are all thats left, and they're both more tuned to RPGs and CCGs than boardgames. Also, at NG at least (can't remember for CS) you'll be expected to pay slightly _more_ than the MSRP for a lot of Euros... I bought Java there for 45 dollars last year.

*sigh*

I live in a city where I can order Thai food at 2 in the morning, but I can't find a good store for boardgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.