Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Tien Zi Que» Forums » General

Subject: What game end condition do you use? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Which game end condition do you prefer:

(1) From the rulebook, play 4 rounds with the highest score at that time determining the winner.
(2) From the BGG game description, the "first player [to collect] 30 points wins the game".

It seems to me that playing to a set score offers a better game and provides more incentive to chase high scoring hands when the opportunity arises. Four rounds just isn't long enough to really get into the game.

As a side-note, this also is an excellent betting game for two players. In that case my preferred ending condition is when someone runs out of money...
;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jighm Brown
United States
Rossville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I would prefer the 30-point rule. I didn't know that rule existed until now.

Jighm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jighm Brown
United States
Rossville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I would prefer the 30-point rule. I didn't know that rule existed until now.

Jighm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jighm wrote:
... I didn't know that rule existed until now.

With good reason. It's strange that the "play to 30 points" rule was only listed on the BGG page and not in the actual rules. It changes the game quite a bit - taking a good game and making it better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As of the date of my posting it's listen only on the Tien Zi Que: White Dragon page at that. Longer than the 20 minutes listed but the 30 point rule makes it more interesting and patience-inducing to cycle through the deck. With only four rounds the likelihood of scoring word card combos seems brutally low. The

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aboveriver wrote:
As of the date of my posting it's listen only on the Tien Zi Que: White Dragon page at that. Longer than the 20 minutes listed but the 30 point rule makes it more interesting and patience-inducing to cycle through the deck. With only four rounds the likelihood of scoring word card combos seems brutally low. The

Interesting. You can see the change made to BGG page on 2011-04-18 that removed the "30 points" wording from the game description. I still think that playing to a set point value is more interesting than a small number of rounds.

Still a great game. Anyone who likes it should also look at The Battle of Red Cliffs - a multiplayer version that has been posted to Kickstarter very recently (as of this post):

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tatewu/the-battle-of-red...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.