Popular Tags: [View All]
John Graham-Leigh
United Kingdom
Westbury
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Martyn and I finished the game today, in about two hours - there are a few pictures in the gallery.

During the winter of 1944 the Russians drove forward, recapturing Leningrad and pushing the Germans back into Poland and Romania. The Western Allies, handicapped by the bad weather in most of France, took Marseilles and sent their Free French forces into Italy. The Germans, devastated by bombing (26 bombers on the track at the peak), could do little to react.

As soon as the weather cleared in May, the British advanced into Bulgaria and Yugoslavia, destroying the Bulgarians and capturing Belgrade by July. The Russians drove westwards to knock out Romania and clear Poland, wiping out significant German forces. The US forces cleared France then took Belgium and advanced into the Rhineland and Ruhr, cutting off a German army in Holland.

At this point, after the July/August 1944 turn, the Fuhrer shot himself... the prophet who forecast an Allied Operational Victory was spot on.

Once the Allies start rolling, it looks almost impossible to stop them. US income of 50 WERPS a turn enables them to build up armies very quickly, and with German income and flexibility reduced by shrinking territory, bombing and reduced SAs (only 2 a turn due to bombing losses) there's little the Germans can do.

I'm more and more impressed with the way this game captures the real-life events, while still allowing alterative strategies. The only real departure from historical choices in this campaign was the British move to Greece instead of slogging through Italy - it turned out just like the WW1 Salonika campaign as the terrain and German reinforcements penned them in until near the end.

I aim to play this one many more times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE REVENGE OF THE GOLDFISH
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John GL wrote:
just like the WW1 Salonika campaign
I aim to play this one many more times.

Nice session
is there any replayability in this game or theres always the same opening moves like Axis and Allies?
German player has any chances against Allies?
Im having this game under my radar long time but im still undecided.

Greetings from Salonika!!!!!!!(the city of God)....ARIS F.C
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Graham-Leigh
United Kingdom
Westbury
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played only three face-to-face games so far, and it's natural to follow the historical strategies to start with. However, if you look through the Session reports on this forum you'll see that a variety of strategies have been tried. The Germans must knock out Poland and France before doing anything else, but once France goes there are several lines they can take - everything on Russia, a Mediterranean strategy, taking Spain, driving through Turkey, a Sealion to knock out Britain (which means an instant win if it comes off). The Allies have to respond to German moves early on, but by 1942 they'll usually have choices to make too. The Axis can certainly win the game, either by knocking out Russia or Britain or by establishing strong defences and winning by outlasting Hitler.

I think there's lots of replay value and I don't expect to get tired of the game soon. Then there's Asia Engulfed!

I've just been reading about the 1941 Greek campaign in Churchill's memoirs - he's most complimentary about the Greek forces. They're tough in Europe Engulfed, too, though I threw rotten dice for them in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE REVENGE OF THE GOLDFISH
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hence we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks.

Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.